Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Fans at Boiling Point with MLSE

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    98
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Fans at Boiling Point with MLSE

    I thought it would be interesting to have the Raptors fans chime in with their response...


    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../16077796.html

    Please, please, please..... us fans could cause enough traction to strengthen the article! Who knows what kind of impact the FANS could have here!

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Richard Peddie isn't the one building or coaching these teams. He also isn't the one out there playing so exactly why is he to blame for how poorly the Raptors have been playing? Have you taken a look at our roster this season? Seriously, look at it. It's awful!

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,937
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Simmons is really not anyone whose hatchet pieces are enough to hang one's hat on. Now this is no defense of Peddie and his choices of Babcock & Ferguson speak for themselves. But that last para about the anonymous businessman is writing that no serious journalist should include. I also enjoy noticing the hockey centric bias where Burke gets a seeming pass by portraying the large mess left behind by Ferguson while BC's tenure is offered no such excuse (blame Stern for his hire and the Raptors misfortunes).

    I understand that Peddie is employed on a contractual basis as well. MLSE being more than just sports properties and the economy being what it is nevermind his age, I am sure his departure will be for more complex circumstances than just the league rankings. Then again he may just not have sold enough condos last quarter. Peddie's influence over sports at ACC was clipped some time ago.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote EverythingBlaxx wrote: View Post
    Richard Peddie isn't the one building or coaching these teams. He also isn't the one out there playing so exactly why is he to blame for how poorly the Raptors have been playing? Have you taken a look at our roster this season? Seriously, look at it. It's awful!
    Richard Peddie most definitely has had to do with the debacle that is the Raptors and Leafs. You can't blame the players, the players talent level is based to compete at a certain level.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote rev20002 wrote: View Post
    Richard Peddie most definitely has had to do with the debacle that is the Raptors and Leafs. You can't blame the players, the players talent level is based to compete at a certain level.
    Exactly how do you figure that? The players are the ones out there on the court and it's clear that they aren't good enough. That has everything to do with the personnel and the people who put the team together.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Rookie Captain Haddock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Come back, Lisa, you little love killer...Come back Lisa, Lisa Lisamiller."
    -Newsradio

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote EverythingBlaxx wrote: View Post
    Richard Peddie isn't the one building or coaching these teams. He also isn't the one out there playing so exactly why is he to blame for how poorly the Raptors have been playing? Have you taken a look at our roster this season? Seriously, look at it. It's awful!
    Isnt he the guy who hired BabCok ? Isnt he the guy who hired BC ?

    If he is , then he is at the head of all the problems this team is facing. First get rid of him, slowly go down the list.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote EverythingBlaxx wrote: View Post
    Richard Peddie isn't the one building or coaching these teams. He also isn't the one out there playing so exactly why is he to blame for how poorly the Raptors have been playing? Have you taken a look at our roster this season? Seriously, look at it. It's awful!
    because he's the constant in all of this losing, he's the one dictating how much money they can spend on what guys and what limitations gm's have. mlse has made a lot of f'ing money over the years now it's time to bring in a sports fan and start winning.

    mlse is one of the richest companies in the world, toronto is one of the richest cities in the world, it's time to put a damn winner on the floor raptors 16 years and counting with only like 3 playoff births and no titles one time they've made it out of the first round,

    leafs who freakin even knows how long it's been sheez since they have freakin made the playoffs let's not even go last time they made any final.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    98
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ok....valid points but...I don't have time to monitor this stuff so I couldn't elaborate on the Thread.

    I operate a flooring store. We have a long history. Here's a scenario.

    When Miss. Jones comes in she tells us what she is looking for. We ask her questions to narrow down her selection. Sometimes Miss. Jones knows what she wants. Other times it's best to listen to the professionals before making a decision. We can usually find a solution for her that same day. Both people are happy!

    When a Church is looking for new flooring they send a person from the committee we'll call Charlie. Usually Charlie isn't interested in doing ANYTHING extra besides getting in & getting out as quick as possible. Not interested in quality, performance or design. Only how $$$much$$$. Charlie takes a couple samples based on price and NOT performance and goes back to the committee. It's very common to hear from Charlie a year later or find out the committee can't reach a decision. By the time a decision is made Hell Freezes Over.

    I know MLSE is far from a Church but when a individual wants to do something it happens quick. They can adjust on the fly. When a Committee OR Board is deciding.... man give me a Hibernation Chamber so I don't notice how much time passes.

    That one of my main problems with MLSE. I'd rather have a Mark Cuban who's a FANATIC for sports then a bunch of Suits who think GoalTending is impossible without a Goaltender.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The only reason why they are moving this guy is cause they feel like in order for them to continue to make money they need to a winner on the floor, the fans are getting restless and frustrated and annoyed customers are not good for business. Msle are looking at the next 5 - 10 years and wondering how they are going to continue to grow their revenues if both of their franchises are rebuilding, retooling whatever u want to call it.

    It's always about money.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
    Isnt he the guy who hired BabCok ? Isnt he the guy who hired BC ?

    If he is , then he is at the head of all the problems this team is facing. First get rid of him, slowly go down the list.
    Bacock was obviously a poor choice, but he was fired again pretty quickly when that became evident. And Colangelo was a huge coup for the franchise. Whether you've agreed with everything he's done, he gave the Raptors immediate respectability after having won an Executive of the Year award and helped turn Phoenix into a contender. While I was not convinced his vision would bring a Championship, it's hard to argue with the decision to hire him.

    Peddie hired probably the best man available for the job and has given him free reign to do what he wants. I'm not sure how he can be blamed for that.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote PapiJulio wrote: View Post
    Ok....valid points but...I don't have time to monitor this stuff so I couldn't elaborate on the Thread.

    I operate a flooring store. We have a long history. Here's a scenario.

    When Miss. Jones comes in she tells us what she is looking for. We ask her questions to narrow down her selection. Sometimes Miss. Jones knows what she wants. Other times it's best to listen to the professionals before making a decision. We can usually find a solution for her that same day. Both people are happy!

    When a Church is looking for new flooring they send a person from the committee we'll call Charlie. Usually Charlie isn't interested in doing ANYTHING extra besides getting in & getting out as quick as possible. Not interested in quality, performance or design. Only how $$$much$$$. Charlie takes a couple samples based on price and NOT performance and goes back to the committee. It's very common to hear from Charlie a year later or find out the committee can't reach a decision. By the time a decision is made Hell Freezes Over.

    I know MLSE is far from a Church but when a individual wants to do something it happens quick. They can adjust on the fly. When a Committee OR Board is deciding.... man give me a Hibernation Chamber so I don't notice how much time passes.

    That one of my main problems with MLSE. I'd rather have a Mark Cuban who's a FANATIC for sports then a bunch of Suits who think GoalTending is impossible without a Goaltender.
    Having a passionate individual is obviously preferable, but when you're talking about a team worth $500 million that has tens of millions of dollars in expenses every year, you generally don't have a lot of choice in the matter.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    98
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Having a passionate individual is obviously preferable, but when you're talking about a team worth $500 million that has tens of millions of dollars in expenses every year, you generally don't have a lot of choice in the matter.
    You sure do!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sure Mark Cuban isn't running the entire show! OR maybe he's a lot smarter than you think Tim! Would you argue that the sky isn't blue?

  14. #14
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Mavs situation pre-Cuban and MLSE is MUCH different. MLSE is ALWAYS gonna make money. Do you know what the waiting list is like for Leafs seasons? There's always gonna be a market for tickets. Hell, they sell out pre-season games. And if the rumours are true, the people in the lowerbowl are required to purchase Raptors seasons in addition to their Leafs seasons, I wouldn't think MLSE is all that concerned, cause they're not in any financial dire straits. MLSE probably wouldn't sell off the Raptors either.

    The Mavs pre-Cuban had a ton of debt and had a real difficult time attracting fans. The Stars and Mavs are owned by seperate people, but they shared Reunion Arena and American Airlines Arena without problems.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote PapiJulio wrote: View Post
    You sure do!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sure Mark Cuban isn't running the entire show! OR maybe he's a lot smarter than you think Tim! Would you argue that the sky isn't blue?
    I don't think you understood my comment at all, because I can't, for the life of me, figure out what the hell you are talking about.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    98
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Having a passionate individual is obviously preferable, but when you're talking about a team worth $500 million that has tens of millions of dollars in expenses every year, you generally don't have a lot of choice in the matter.
    You said "you generally don't have a lot of choice in the matter". I strongly dispute that. If Jim Balsillie (BlackBerry) bought a NBA you can bet your bottom dollar Jim's minions will do what Jim says. Jim REALLY wants to win. He's been aggressively trying to buy an NHL team and move it to Hamilton, Ontario. However, we are stuck with MLSE who just want to make sure the Dividends are flowing.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote PapiJulio wrote: View Post
    You said "you generally don't have a lot of choice in the matter". I strongly dispute that. If Jim Balsillie (BlackBerry) bought a NBA you can bet your bottom dollar Jim's minions will do what Jim says. Jim REALLY wants to win. He's been aggressively trying to buy an NHL team and move it to Hamilton, Ontario. However, we are stuck with MLSE who just want to make sure the Dividends are flowing.
    You don't have a lot of choice....in who has the money to own an NBA team. They have to be a) a multibillionaire and b) be a big basketball fan. How many of those do you think live in Canada, especially considering that basketball is really not nearly as popular among the older generation, who are more likely to be billionaires. Is Jim Balsillie and big NBA fan? If he is, that's great, but that's one billionaire. I don't see a long line behind him.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •