Clippers Raptors let's trade both our point guards, headache for headache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clippers Raptors let's trade both our point guards, headache for headache

I was fiddling with Espn trade machine, both our point guards (raptors) for both of the clippers point guards works in the trade machine..
    Calderon (9 mil) and Jack (4.6) total 13.6 for Baron Davis (13 mil) and Eric Bledsoe (1.5 mil)=14.5 mil
    Would you trade both of our point guards for both of theirs? I would.

or if you like we could trade Calderon + Banks for Baron Davis and the clippers 1st round draft pick, that could work too, rumors are that they are trying to trade him.

Comment

I love this trade. Like seriously love this trade. Bledsoe is a great PG. Great prospect and is a legit PG. Jack is a SG in disguise and has been playing pretty badly. Although Jose hasn't been playing too well I would do this... How about Reggie, Calderon and Banks for Davis, Bledsoe and Aminu?

Clippers get a PG, and $10M expiring and get rid of Baron.
      We get Davis who won't do shit, Bledsoe and Aminu who are both players with great potential..

Comment

I just read the rumor that the Clips were looking to move Davis and jumped to the same conclusion as well. Think we need to temper our expectations a bit though. A more realistic deal might look like this:

To Toronto:
        Baron Davis
        2011 1st round draft pick of the T-Wolves (top-10 protected in 2011 and unprotected in 2012), owed to the Clippers

To LA Clippers:
        Jarret Jack
        Whatever-size-chunk-is-necessary of the TPE
        Miami's 2011 first round pick
        Joey Dorsey

There are some variations that might work, like swapping Calderon for Jack if the Raptors dangle someone that can help boost the sad, sad Clippers bench, or Julian Wright for Dorsey, Barbosa instead of Jack, that kind of thing.

The Clippers have 2 first round picks in 2011, theirs and the top-10 protected pick from the Wolves that becomes unprotected in 2012. I think the latter would be the one the Raps want, unless it looks like the Clippers are going to be a top-5 lottery team (which I can't see happening). Much better chance the Wolves continue to be bottom feeders in 2012 when the protection comes off the pick. In order to give that up though, the Clippers need to a) shed some salary, b) acquire a useful player that fills a need and c) be able to sell the decision to fans. Well maybe not c) since they're the Clippers, but a ration club would.

As for a), the TPE takes care of that, instant relief from davis' contract.

b) This is where things actually get iffy. I think the Raps could pull this off easily if they had a better option to trade that Jack or Calderon, but both have their drawbacks. While Jack is cheap and productive, he isn't a point guard for the future and doesn't mesh well with their roster. Calderon would be great for them offensively, but his contract isn't that far behind Davis' and doesn't provide enough in the locker room or on the defensive end to help the team in the long term. I think the Clips would take Jack and start Bledsoe at the 1, but...

c) They need to be able to sell it to the fans by making the raptors sweeten the pot. Getting Jack and financial relief back isn't a lot for Baron Davis and a likely high first round draft pick. The Clips need to get more from this deal, and that starts with the 2011 first round pick from Miami. It'll be high 20s, but it's a cheap young player that can help the Clips' bench next year. The question is what else will it take? Joey Dorsey? Sonny Weems? Solomon Alabi?

And at what point does it stop being worth it?

Comment

If you're trading Jack for Davis you're now investing close to $23 mil/year for the next 3 years into your PG Position (Davis + Jose)... of course, Baron Davis is better defensively than any PG we've had since, um... Alvin Williams?

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
            I love this trade. Like seriously love this trade. Bledsoe is a great PG. Great prospect and is a legit PG. Jack is a SG in disguise and has been playing pretty badly. Although Jose hasn't been playing too well I would do this... How about Reggie, Calderon and Banks for Davis, Bledsoe and Aminu?

Clippers get a PG, and $10M expiring and get rid of Baron.
            We get Davis who won't do shit, Bledsoe and Aminu who are both players with great potential..
            That's the only way I'd do that deal. I'd swallow the Davis contract for both Bledsoe and importantly, Aminu. Other than that, no way.

Comment

rockstar rob wrote: View Post
              I was fiddling with Espn trade machine, both our point guards (raptors) for both of the clippers point guards works in the trade machine..
              Calderon (9 mil) and Jack (4.6) total 13.6 for Baron Davis (13 mil) and Eric Bledsoe (1.5 mil)=14.5 mil
              Would you trade both of our point guards for both of theirs? I would.
              The Clips would run and hide for that deal, but we'd get the fuzzy end of that stick. Baron Davis hasn't had a good season in 4 years - and he still has like 80 mil left on a contract - and has back/knee/conditioning issues. Think JO/Hedo, but with a contract that's impossible to move.

Comment

Essentially the Raps are looking at 3 years of Davis or 3 years of Calderon with this trade. The Raptors would have to get one of those first round draft picks or Aminu to do it, IMO. The problem with Davis with the Clippers is his poor work habits, conditioning, and attitude on a young and re-building team. I don't think any of this situation changes in Toronto but, who knows, it might serve as a wake up call. From what I recall his play in GS was pretty good after the trade from NOH. From the LAC perspective they would have to be pretty desparate to move BD to do this although a pass first PG with Eric Gordon, Blake Griffin, and Chris Kaman might be a good thing for their team.

Bottom line: if Raptors could get a draft pick or Aminu I'd do it although it seems unlikely to get the best player (when focused) and a draft pick or prospect.

Comment

Working...
                X