Johnson Needs to Supplant Evans in Starting Role

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multipaul wrote: View Post
    I would take a hurting Barbo over Demar starting. He can give us an instant offensive burst and hopefully a lead. I would also take Weems but I think he might be better as a 3 instead of a 2. Demar makes too many mistakes still and always leaves his man on D. Last night GSW made him pay. He does not deserve to start. We need someone with more poise and patience. Demar could explode in a bench role.
    Barbosa can hardly shoot as it is - and it shows. He should be going in for his surgery. As it is right now, Demar's had to guard Tyreke Evans, Kobe, Brandon Roy, Monta Ellis. Cut the guy some slack!

Comment

Ok...so the other teams are "better", why don't we play our "better" players then. I can't follow your logic. I assume you are one of those guys who just wants us to tank and get a draft pick. That is your right to feel that way.
      I don't know how to put it nicely.. but yeah, we're awful. I've been watching basketball a long, long time. I've been a season ticket holder for 7 seasons, so I've seen the good and bad. Right now, we're bad - not as bad as other seasons, but we're pretty bad nonetheless. It's not like we're holding back our "better" players. I don't expect this team to win. I just expect to them to play full out from whistle to whistle for a full 48 minutes.

Comment

anytime barbosa shoots a 3, i get this weird feeling that i can only really describe as a "jamario groan"

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
          anytime barbosa shoots a 3, i get this weird feeling that i can only really describe as a "jamario groan"
          I thought I was the only one.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
            Barbosa can hardly shoot as it is - and it shows. He should be going in for his surgery. As it is right now, Demar's had to guard Tyreke Evans, Kobe, Brandon Roy, Monta Ellis. Cut the guy some slack!
            DUDE, this is the NBA. You DO NOT cut people slack. Every team has a tough cover positionally. If Demar wants to be an NBA starter and someone we can lean on he has to man up and get the job done. If he needs slack, he should be sitting on the pine watching someone else who can do a better job and from whom he can learn from. Unfortunately, that person is not currently employed by our team lol!

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
              I thought I was the only one.
              He's a pro at making a shot "look" like it went in by grazing the mesh beneath the rim.

Comment

DUDE, this is the NBA. You DO NOT cut people slack. Every team has a tough cover positionally. If Demar wants to be an NBA starter and someone we can lean on he has to man up and get the job done. If he needs slack, he should be sitting on the pine watching someone else who can do a better job and from whom he can learn from. Unfortunately, that person is not currently employed by our team lol!
                Right. Okay, you're right then. He's only had to cover the team's best offensive player in 4 of the 7 games so far to date. So, right, he shouldn't be cut any slack. He's only really starting to get some playing time right now and he should have limited each player to 4 points on 2 of 10 shooting. Gotcha!

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                  You my friend are a Kool-Aid drinker.

Rebounding is no doubt important, but scoring and team defense are more important

Bargnani and Johnson are better on defense than Bargnani and Evans because Johnson give a lot better weak side help than Evans does and because Johnson is longer and can alter more shots than Evans.

Evans is pretty good defender in short spurts but he is a career 19 mpg guy over 9 seasons in the NBA. He just can't handle over 20 mpg and be effective as a defender.

On offense he is a horrible liability.

I am not saying that Johnson should start so people should not think I am going there.

What I am saying is that Evans should not.

If people don't like Johnson starting then start Kleiza at PF and Weems at SF. Kleiza can defend the #4 probably better than the #3 and his rebounding will go up if he plays closer to the basket on defense.

I am not saying that Kleiza should start either.

However there are a lot better options than Evans.

Evans Kool Aid drinkers think that if Evans goes off the court the Raptors world will fall apart.

Last night the Raptors significantly outscored the Warriors when Evans was off the court.

He was a minus 19 and the Raptors lost only by 7. So they were a plus 12 when he was off the court.
                  This is what I wrote a few days ago:

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                  I too am excited. We are no longer Bosh-centric and that is a massive plus. Here are my suggested tweaks (this may garner anger but what the heck):

1. Calderon back to the line-up. Clearly the scoring difficulties needs to be addressed. We're falling behind in too many first quarters to date. The Raps' defence depends on how well they score. If they don't score, their defensive success is affected (this is a team that dwells on misses as seen from their transition defence).

2. Given Calderon's relationship with Johnson, he should start as well. This is by no means a knock on Reggie but he needs to come off the bench (the team is burning him out). We need Johnson for interior scoring (since Bargs is allergic down low). Too many teams are ignoring Reggie as a scoring option. Both him and Jack is required for energy purposes on the second unit.

3. Weems need to start. Kleiza is being asked too much to start. His mobility is not as great (Batum pretty much exposed him for that). Again, not a knock on Kleiza but he is a small 4 not a pure SF. As a member of the second unit, he can be scoring option # 1. Weems is more mobile and can stretch the floor as well.

Here's my tweaked line-up. Also, I think they're team defense is improving.

PG - Calderon
                  SG - Derozan
                  SF - Weems
                  PF - Johnson
                  C - Bargnani

PS> I'm not a Young Ones fan but given we're 1-5, we gotta try this line-up.
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I like ur starting line alot

Comment

has banks ever started for the raps?

seriously, at the rate our PGs are getting exposed this season, a marcus banks experiment might be worth trying.. even just once

Comment

Bargnani and Evans is one of the worst defensive duos in the league. A complete lack of foot speed, shot blocking and team defense. This is the main concern.

Ed Davis needs to bump Reggie right out of the regular rotation, and soon.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                          has banks ever started for the raps?

seriously, at the rate our PGs are getting exposed this season, a marcus banks experiment might be worth trying.. even just once
                          He did when Jack and Caldy were injured at the same time.

Comment

Ed Davis should make some noise for sure. Too bad bout that damn injury, was really lookin forward to seeing him start the season off.

Comment

Do I have to be the one that says it? Maybe Bargnani needs to sit. His lack of defense and rebounding are hurting the team far more than his scoring is helping it. Of course, sitting Bargnani would kill his trade value, so I'm not for that.

As has been stated, the team is not very good no matter what lineup you start with. People have to start realizing that. I was shocked when some people around here started talking about the possibility of the playoffs before the season started. Were they actually LOOKING at the roster?

And no, I'm not a Toronto hater, which is Multipaul's comeback for any criticism of his favourite player. I'm just a guy who has watched a lifetime of basketball and has a pretty good idea at what I see when I watch.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                                Do I have to be the one that says it? Maybe Bargnani needs to sit. His lack of defense and rebounding are hurting the team far more than his scoring is helping it. Of course, sitting Bargnani would kill his trade value, so I'm not for that.

As has been stated, the team is not very good no matter what lineup you start with. People have to start realizing that. I was shocked when some people around here started talking about the possibility of the playoffs before the season started. Were they actually LOOKING at the roster?

And no, I'm not a Toronto hater, which is Multipaul's comeback for any criticism of his favourite player. I'm just a guy who has watched a lifetime of basketball and has a pretty good idea at what I see when I watch.
                                Man...u r hilarious.

This post is about Amir and Evans and you have to interject your hatred for Toronto and basketball as a whole.

So Tim, is ur idea, within the context of this post, to have Evans and Amir starting and Bargs on the bench? Ur almost Napoleonic in your strategems. How bout we start a lineup of Wright, Alabi, Amir, Evans, and Calderon since he is "your guy"

Comment

Working...
                                X