No announcement yet.

Johnson Needs to Supplant Evans in Starting Role

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with Amir is still his foul rate, he's been pretty good the last couple of games but it's always a concern. As many have already said, we have a team of bench players, so it doesn't really matter who starts, the results will pretty much be the same.

Because of our roster, our starting lineup is "the least of two evils", or in other words, the least shit player of the two. That being said, sitting Bargs is not an option considering our backup center is literally, Bargs lite. I do think Bargs expertise are better suited for the bench, but only a contending team would have the luxury of consistently having him be a 6th man.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
      Man...u r hilarious.

This post is about Amir and Evans and you have to interject your hatred for Toronto and basketball as a whole.

So Tim, is ur idea, within the context of this post, to have Evans and Amir starting and Bargs on the bench? Ur almost Napoleonic in your strategems. How bout we start a lineup of Wright, Alabi, Amir, Evans, and Calderon since he is "your guy"
      Why do YOU hate Toronto so much that you refuse to admit that what is best for the team is Bargnani to be traded? You must really hate Toronto and all people who live in Toronto and cheer for Toronto teams, especially the Raptors? Why do you hate so much? Why do you cause so much hatred? You also must hate basketball if you hate defense and rebounding so much as to completely ignore it.

You, sir, are a hater.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        Why do YOU hate Toronto so much that you refuse to admit that what is best for the team is Bargnani to be traded? You must really hate Toronto and all people who live in Toronto and cheer for Toronto teams, especially the Raptors? Why do you hate so much? Why do you cause so much hatred? You also must hate basketball if you hate defense and rebounding so much as to completely ignore it.

You, sir, are a hater.
        Tim...Tim..Timothy...Timotei?

This post is about Amir and Reggie.

Start another Bargs post and it would be a more approrpiate forum for you to spit your venom upon us REAL fans of Toronto and the Raptors...and of basketball...and of sports in general. ...hell...humanity

Comment

You, sir, are a hater.
          I'm a Bargnani supporter, but even I'd start exploring trades involving Bargnani.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
            I'm a Bargnani supporter, but even I'd start exploring trades involving Bargnani.
            That's because you don't hate the Toronto Raptors like some people.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

That's because you don't hate the Toronto Raptors like some people.
              If you look up Tim W in the ancient aramaic texts of the indian subcontinent you will find this inscription:

Comment

Seems like Triano just reiterated the fact that the Raptors see Johnson only as a career bench rotation energy guy.

Therefore it is my opinion regarding Johnson starting in the future.

I think the only way he will start again is if injuries force the situation. Otherwise at least as long as Triano is the coach it appears that Johnson will be coming off of the bench.

How many minutes he will get per game will depend on how well the starter at PF is playing and how well he is playing.

Triano post game presser Nov 8, 2010
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                  If you look up Tim W in the ancient aramaic texts of the indian subcontinent you will find this inscription:
                  Why do you hate the Raptors so much that you would basically condemn them to a lifetime of lotterydom just so your favourite player in the world will be able to start somewhere?
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Why do you hate the Raptors so much that you would basically condemn them to a lifetime of lotterydom just so your favourite player in the world will be able to start somewhere?
                    Tim, god bless you man. You always keep this board entertaining.

I think if I made a post entitled "I love grilled cheese sandwiches", you would somehow find a way to incorporate a "Bargnani sucks" comment.

You are the man. Please continue to hate the Raptors, and each member of our great nation.

Comment

You, sir, are a hater.
                      You, sir, are talking to a wall - you can't sway Multipaul's opinion on Bargs. Avid basketball fans see Bargs is not a starter due to his terrible defense and rebounding. Anyone supporting Bargs has some biases like Multipaul here.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                        You my friend are a Kool-Aid drinker.

Rebounding is no doubt important, but scoring and team defense are more important

Bargnani and Johnson are better on defense than Bargnani and Evans because Johnson give a lot better weak side help than Evans does and because Johnson is longer and can alter more shots than Evans.

Evans is pretty good defender in short spurts but he is a career 19 mpg guy over 9 seasons in the NBA. He just can't handle over 20 mpg and be effective as a defender.

On offense he is a horrible liability.

I am not saying that Johnson should start so people should not think I am going there.

What I am saying is that Evans should not.

If people don't like Johnson starting then start Kleiza at PF and Weems at SF. Kleiza can defend the #4 probably better than the #3 and his rebounding will go up if he plays closer to the basket on defense.

I am not saying that Kleiza should start either.

However there are a lot better options than Evans.

Evans Kool Aid drinkers think that if Evans goes off the court the Raptors world will fall apart.

Last night the Raptors significantly outscored the Warriors when Evans was off the court.

He was a minus 19 and the Raptors lost only by 7. So they were a plus 12 when he was off the court.
                        Buddahfan
                        I could not say it any better!!!
                        MultiPaul is right here, and Evans should not start. I love his energy, his enthusiasm, and his determination to hunt down boards, but Amir has most of the same qualities with a few more thrown in. I was and am thinking Evans is being showcased to shop around but it's now time because other than what I mentioned above he pretty much has no other skills.
                        Amir and Bargnani play much better together, and watching every defense give Evans 8 feet when he has the ball is a joke, and makes the defense tighter for the others which is an intangible people do not take into account. I even like the Kleiza, Weems thing better.
                        It might also allow Jose to replace Jack which makes for a much better starting lineup and a more balanced bench.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                          Okay, Amir needs to start ahead of Evans. THAT IS COMPLETELY UP TO AMIR. As for wanting to start Reggie, that is just outrageous. It's different having to start Reggie, but now people want to start him? Yes he can rebounds, and he looks like an awesome caveman, but he is more of a liability on everything apart rebounding, yes his offense is worse than Bargnani's defense. We need Amir to start. And putting him on to boost trade value doesn't really work. GM's aren't idiots. If we trade him, it will be to a contender, and contenders only trade scrap pieces so most likely we won't get anything unless we decide to take on another bad contract. Reggie is in his final year, let it expire then re-sign him ala Jerome James :P

If anyone really thinks starting Reggie over Amir is right, you gotta get yourself checked. If Amir can stay on court, he can rebound just as well as Reggie, and with Amir on the court it gives more room for Andrea, DeMar and whoever else is on the court, because with Reggie we played 4 on 5 offense, which killed us.
                          +100%

Comment

Why shouldn't Demar start? Who's better to start at the 2-guard than Demar? Barbosa's hurting. Weems is okay, but not better than Demar.
                            I really like DeRozan and think he has the athleticism to be amazing and perhaps the Raptors star if his skills develop and his basketball IQ gets better. That said today he is not as good as Weems or Barbosa so if you were starting players based purely on who is better he is on the bench. Weems is a better defender, a better shooter and just as good at getting to the rim.

Comment

I thought I was the only one.
                              I'm there too....I am hoping it's his wrist

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                                This is what I wrote a few days ago:
                                I think you are absolutely right with this unit starting. The only thing that worries me about Weems taking Kleiza's spot is that Kleiza is a better 3 point shooter, and can post up when needed, but no question it is a better unit than what we start right now. Bargs is sometimes double and triple teamed because Evans is so useless offensively. Amir would make the offense better for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X