Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Peddie Out in next few months?

Raptors Republic Starter GameBreaker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Peddie Out in next few months?

THE FAN 590's Greg Brady had multiple sources confirm to him that Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment President & Chief Executive Officer Richard Peddie will be replaced within the next several months. Details to follow.
    LINK: http://www.fan590.com/

Things are gonna shake up in the upper office, now, which would speak volumes on BC's future on down the line. Pretty crazy. What ya'll think?
    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
    Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
    http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Post Thanks / Like

Bad news for MLSE. That dude KNOWS how to make money. I don't know why MLSE would be getting rid of him. Pretty silly move on their part. He doesn't meddle in basketball or hockey operations anymore.
    Last edited by MangoKid; Wed Nov 10th, 2010 at 02:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Peddie is known to be a Colangelo-backer, once he's gone BC will have to earn the confidence of the new guy because he'll be staring at BC's resume and be like, WTF?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe BC goes and Kevin Pritchard comes in.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Colangelo will be taking Peddie's job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    Colangelo will be taking Peddie's job.
    Well, his dad fills (or had filled) the same role with the Suns/Coyotes/DiamondBacks (CEO.. or seomthing like that) - somewhere in the front office.

Colangelo is a good businessman. Maybe he does move upstairs. As long as Gherindini doesn't get the GM's job. Please God, no!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Well, his dad fills (or had filled) the same role with the Suns/Coyotes/DiamondBacks (CEO.. or seomthing like that) - somewhere in the front office.

Colangelo is a good businessman. Maybe he does move upstairs. As long as Gherindini doesn't get the GM's job. Please God, no!
    Trust me. That is exactly what is happening. Then...guess what...a certain Italian coach who will remain nameless will be heading over here...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Trust me. That is exactly what is happening. Then...guess what...a certain Italian coach who will remain nameless will be heading over here...
    Messina should have been head coach since Smitch was canned..David Blatt would be a distant second.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Messina should have been head coach since Smitch was canned..David Blatt would be a distant second.
    That would've been great. JT is falling fast. If BC gets upgraded, he will have overall control of the hirings/firings, should be interesting to see what happens.

As long as Leo doesn't get the coaching job, lol

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

A young team who is struggling adjusting to playing at NBA speed and skill level...and the suggested solution is to hire someone with no NBA head coaching experience? I had never heard of either Messina or Blatt, so I am not saying that they are not fine coaches. For all I know they could be excellent at it.

But for my money I want someone with a more proven track record in the NBA. Every year there are a few coaches available who I would absolutely love to see behind the bench again. Jeff Van Gundy would be an example of this. Triano was an excellent assistant coach and that is why we hired him...but he has seemed to struggle with the added responsibilities that a head coach carries (rotations, time out usage, motivating the players to push through, etc.).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    A young team who is struggling adjusting to playing at NBA speed and skill level...and the suggested solution is to hire someone with no NBA head coaching experience? I had never heard of either Messina or Blatt, so I am not saying that they are not fine coaches. For all I know they could be excellent at it.

But for my money I want someone with a more proven track record in the NBA. Every year there are a few coaches available who I would absolutely love to see behind the bench again. Jeff Van Gundy would be an example of this. Triano was an excellent assistant coach and that is why we hired him...but he has seemed to struggle with the added responsibilities that a head coach carries (rotations, time out usage, motivating the players to push through, etc.).
    Messina is money man.

But...I would take JVG ...hell...even PJ at this point

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

That would've been great. JT is falling fast. If BC gets upgraded, he will have overall control of the hirings/firings, should be interesting to see what happens.

As long as Leo doesn't get the coaching job, lol
    If the possibility exists that he might fire himself, I am all in baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Colangelo has this vision of a very offensive-oriented team. JVG goes against that notion. JVG would also want a lot more power, hence why he's still in television. Until a team comes forward and offers him a ton of autonomy, he'll stay in television.

Messina is a damn good coach - the Kings were very close to naming him as coach before they settled on Reggie Theus.
    He's very organized, he knows his X's and O's and has been named coach of the year in Europe on multiple occasions, and his teams have actually won, so one would think that that would be a good pedigree for a coach to have.

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

bring in Sir Charles for the laughs!
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Colangelo has this vision of a very offensive-oriented team. JVG goes against that notion. JVG would also want a lot more power, hence why he's still in television. Until a team comes forward and offers him a ton of autonomy, he'll stay in television.

Messina is a damn good coach - the Kings were very close to naming him as coach before they settled on Reggie Theus.
    He's very organized, he knows his X's and O's and has been named coach of the year in Europe on multiple occasions, and his teams have actually won, so one would think that that would be a good pedigree for a coach to have.

Bringing in someone that is a proven winner is a great pedigree. My struggle is that there seems to be a disconnect between different leagues in terms of coaching success. College coaches are normally college coaches and NBA coaches are NBA guys...is there a precedent set for European coaches making the transition?

Gherindini was supposed to be a brilliant basketball mind who was highly sought after when we got him…but has that been evident in the NBA so far? When Denver was hiring they completely looked past him within our organization. Perhaps we blocked potential interest from other teams…but he has not seemed to strike a big impact so far. Would it be similar bringing in an European coach?

Also, with my JVG comment from earlier, I am mostly opporating under the impression that Colangelo will not be back next year. Until I hear of a contract being signed, I think he is gone. I was simply using JVG as an example of a strong coach who is currently out of work (TV excluded).

My preference would be to move in a different direction with the GM position. So this Peddie possibility might have an interesting impact.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bringing in someone that is a proven winner is a great pedigree

The guy on left of course.

Tough, smart and has won in the NBA as a player and WNBA has a head coach.

If he can handle women professional basketball players, he can handle NBA players.

Of course if the T-Wolves continue to not win 3 - 36? in their last 39 games then he could shortly be stepping up to replace the guy on the right.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Nov 10th, 2010 at 03:52 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

ďAs a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to winĒ
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Laimbeer seems like a reasonable example of making the transition...and Rambis will most likely be gone soon so he could get a crack. But despite having success elsewhere, Laimbeer still stepped into an Assistant Coach role. This seems to support the idea that there is a transition faze of learning the new game.

Are there any examples of European coaches coming over (whether stepping into Assistant Coach positions or Head Coach)? I am curious as to how it would look with the differences between style.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

JVG will not coach a bad team. He's been asked and turned down jobs.

And it kind of scares me how many times Laimbeer has been turned down for head coaching jobs. Maybe there's a reason...?
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Gherindini was supposed to be a brilliant basketball mind who was highly sought after when we got him…but has that been evident in the NBA so far? When Denver was hiring they completely looked past him within our organization. Perhaps we blocked potential interest from other teams…but he has not seemed to strike a big impact so far. Would it be similar bringing in an European coach?
    Great point. Maurizio was the Red Auerbach of European basketball. Proven winner. Proven builder. Impeccable track record. Success doesn't always translate across the pond, so even Messina would be a huge risk. That said, Messina is a risk that I'd be willing to take.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information