Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flipside - Superstars leave Toronto, not good......FOR THEM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flipside - Superstars leave Toronto, not good......FOR THEM.

Is it just me or while everybody is getting lost in the "superstars do not stay in toronto" bandwagon, how come nobody stopped to think that all those superstars who crossed Toronto, are nowhere now, or either suffering a setback?

Tracy McGrady - vets min with Detroit
    VC - role player in Orlando
    Damon Stoudamire - retired at 30?
    Chris Bosh - struggling with Heat

While everybody's mad coz they left, im actually glad that they didnt stay, coz it just goes to show theyre really not the "real deal" coz look at them now, its not like theyre having stellar careers....and none of them will probably be a HOFer

Thoughts?

tbihis wrote: View Post
    Is it just me or while everybody is getting lost in the "superstars do not stay in toronto" bandwagon, how come nobody stopped to think that all those superstars who crossed Toronto, are nowhere now, or either suffering a setback?

While everybody's mad coz they left, im actually glad that they didnt stay, coz it just goes to show theyre really not the "real deal" coz look at them now, its not like theyre having stellar careers....and none of them will probably be a HOFer

Thoughts?
    Well, I think most players would be thrilled to have the careers that Vince and McGrady had after they left Toronto. Both were multiple All-Stars who made an obscene amount of money. Stoudemire had the type of game that looked better when he dominated the ball, but on a more talented team, that wasn't helpful. As for Bosh, he's obviously not going to get the same numbers he did in Toronto, and while he isn't putting up the numbers you'd expect, it's still early. It's going to take him a while to adjust to his new role.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      Well, I think most players would be thrilled to have the careers that Vince and McGrady had after they left Toronto. Both were multiple All-Stars who made an obscene amount of money. Stoudemire had the type of game that looked better when he dominated the ball, but on a more talented team, that wasn't helpful. As for Bosh, he's obviously not going to get the same numbers he did in Toronto, and while he isn't putting up the numbers you'd expect, it's still early. It's going to take him a while to adjust to his new role.
      I agree. They did have good years when they left Toronto, statistics-wise, but i think theyre reason for leaving was because they werent winning in Toronto, and they really didnt either when they left.

I dont think McGrady ever got past the 1st round and Vince past the 2nd. Bosh will probably reach the finals and win, but he'll definitely ride the coattails of LBJ and Wade.

Comment

Even though both did not achieve team success, both Carter and McGrady have been multiple all-stars since leaving. Stoudamire's career seemed to go downhill after his deal. Bosh, well.. shit, it's only 9 games in.

EDIT: Yeah, what Tim said. (sorry, didn't read before posting)

Comment

This is a very interesting post. And I totally agree with you, most of the guys that left here were seeking championship rings elsewhere, and it never manifested itself.

What's interesting in the cases of VC, TMac..and possibly soon CB..is that even the media characterizes them as "losers". Such as "Tmac will never make it out of the first round", "Vince isn't a closer/cant play a full 48 mins". Now we catch wind of "Bosh isn't really an all star...Heat should try and get Varajao".

Tax issues aside, Toronto could be an amazing forum for success, fame, and hopefully one day rings for nba talent.

Comment

Thoughts?
            Bosh and Mighty Mouse really do not bother me that much - especially Bosh.

McGrady and Carter still stings. It would have been incredible to have those two guys play together at their peaks. Unfortunately, despite all their physical abilities, both lack the mental fortitude and work ethic (IMO) to ever be true winners. Anyone confused what I mean by that see Kobe's and MJ's work ethic. There is a reason besides genetics why those guys are winners (on the court).

Comment

I agree. They did have good years when they left Toronto, statistics-wise, but i think theyre reason for leaving was because they werent winning in Toronto, and they really didnt either when they left.

I dont think McGrady ever got past the 1st round and Vince past the 2nd. Bosh will probably reach the finals and win, but he'll definitely ride the coattails of LBJ and Wade.
              Only Vince and Bosh left in order to win. Quite frankly, I don't blame Vince one bit for wanting to leave, I just have a problem with how he went about it. Bosh's situation's a little more complicated. He certainly hasn't endeared himself to anyone since leaving, but I also can't blame him for leaving. Both players were unhappy with what management had done, or had not done. And both players had good reason to be unhappy.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                Only Vince and Bosh left in order to win. Quite frankly, I don't blame Vince one bit for wanting to leave, I just have a problem with how he went about it. Bosh's situation's a little more complicated. He certainly hasn't endeared himself to anyone since leaving, but I also can't blame him for leaving. Both players were unhappy with what management had done, or had not done. And both players had good reason to be unhappy.
                Hopefully this deters other players from leaving the Raps. If you leave, youre going nowhere! hahaha

Comment

Vince isn't a role player.

Comment

Yeah VC had some decent years in Jersey too and if it wasn't for Grant Hill's ankle the Magic could have been really really good.
                    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Yeah there is VC, T-Mac, Antonio Davis and Damon, but the guys that really pissed me off were Alonzo Mourning, Kenny Anderson and B.J. Armstrong. These guys didn't even report to the team.

Comment

Tmar wrote: View Post
                        Yeah there is VC, T-Mac, Antonio Davis and Damon, but the guys that really pissed me off were Alonzo Mourning, Kenny Anderson and B.J. Armstrong. These guys didn't even report to the team.
                        Agreed. That isn't what basketball is about.. Maybe I'm being naive here, but can someone explain to me how someone under contract can just refuse to play for a team that holds his contract? I don't see why basketball would be any different than anything else that involves a legally binding contract, especially with all the money they're earning.

Comment

Alonzo Mourning can rot in the deepest level of hell.

To be honest, I'm glad VC left. I've never had so much fun at a Raptors game than booing VC when he is in town. I'm rather looking forward to booing Bosh - er - or maybe I'll just twitter my boo to him.
                          Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

2001 Most Improved Player Award
                            Twice All-NBA First Team
                            3 times All-NBA Second Team
                            Twice All-NBA third Team
                            2 times NBA scoring leader

All after Toronto. Now he's old and had some devastating injuries. He's not a role player because he left Toronto.

Pretty sure that Carter played in three all-star games after Toronto and was for sure selected for at least one more. He also played really well. He's a high impact role player in Orlando and it's due to age and roster depth and not because he's not playing in Toronto.

I agree

Far too early to tell.

Comment

Working...
                            X