No announcement yet.

Raptors Interested in Jason Thompson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they want expirings BC should nab him. Thompson is a good young player buried in a deep frontcourt.

Comment

I would do Reggie for Thompson.

I would do Wright for Thompson.

I would do ANderson for Thompson.

I would do Banks for Thompson.

I would have to consider Miami's 1st round pick for Thompson.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        The Raptors don't need depth at position ESPECIALLY power forward. Jason Thompson is a very nice player but with Amir and Davis, I fail to see where he fits in. The Raptors were missing three rotation players (not including Davis) and STILL managed to be able to have eight players play significant minutes.
        Thompson could play center, as a backup to Bargnani, he would be a pretty great back-up.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
          Thompson could play center, as a backup to Bargnani, he would be a pretty great back-up.
          Thompson would be an AWSOME backup. Decent inside game and a nice 18ft shot. I tihnk he would be fitin nicely behind Andrea.

a lineup of

Thompson
          amir
          weems/wright
          derozan
          jack

now thats athletic. it seems like they would go after thompson for when they use that type of lineup.

Comment

I'd like to try to dispel this notion that Reggie Evans is playing well. It's true he is rebounding better than anyone in basketball. It's true he is an exciting player to watch because of his mannerisms. But there is more to the game than rebounding. And Reggie doesn't do any of the rest of it well.

First of all, Reggie has the lowest shooting percentage on the team. He's taken 29 shots and made 6. He is shooting 44% from the foul line. Even taking so few shots and touching the ball so infrequently on offense, his turnover percentage (offensive possessions per 100 that end in a turnover by that player) is 17.8, which is pretty shockingly high for a guy that only likes to rebound. He has the second-lowest offensive rating amongst the regulars, (Kleiza has been worse, no doubt due to his being injured), as well as having a negative offensive win share. Evans's offensive rating is a full 10 points per 100 possessions below the Raptors at large (94/104.8).

Now to the rebounds. Yes, rebounding helps a lot. One of the reasons the Raps have been in a lot of games is their best-in-the-league offensive rebounding. And the Raptors are a plus rebounding team with Evans in there. But, a lot of big men can rebound the ball. And Evans is grabbing more rebounds than he ever has before because he has little competition from his own teammates. Particularly you-know-who, starting at center beside him in the front court. Any good rebounder playing in the same position would likely grab a lot of boards, including Jason Thompson, who doesn't have any of Evans's weaknesses.

In addition to his aforementioned weaknesses, Evans is too short for his position, at 6'8". Some players, like Charles Oakley, have overcome that weakness. Evans has had more than enough time in his career to do so, and has failed. The Raptors need a huge, wide-bodied shot blocker to play beside Bargnani, to hide the latter's weaknesses and maximize his strengths. Evans isn't close to being that thing.

The worrisome thing about Evans is his personal mannerisms and style on the court, which I would describe as frantic, emphatic, exaggerated and chaotic, are seductive and insidious in their way of convincing fans that everything good that's happening is being caused or facilitated by Evans. In sum, don't let Evans's "Hulk Hogan" act fool you into thinking he's doing more to help the team than he really is.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
              I'd like to try to dispel this notion that Reggie Evans is playing well. It's true he is rebounding better than anyone in basketball. It's true he is an exciting player to watch because of his mannerisms. But there is more to the game than rebounding. And Reggie doesn't do any of the rest of it well.

First of all, Reggie has the lowest shooting percentage on the team. He's taken 29 shots and made 6. He is shooting 44% from the foul line. Even taking so few shots and touching the ball so infrequently on offense, his turnover percentage (offensive possessions per 100 that end in a turnover by that player) is 17.8, which is pretty shockingly high for a guy that only likes to rebound. He has the second-lowest offensive rating amongst the regulars, (Kleiza has been worse, no doubt due to his being injured), as well as having a negative offensive win share. Evans's offensive rating is a full 10 points per 100 possessions below the Raptors at large (94/104.8).

Now to the rebounds. Yes, rebounding helps a lot. One of the reasons the Raps have been in a lot of games is their best-in-the-league offensive rebounding. And the Raptors are a plus rebounding team with Evans in there. But, a lot of big men can rebound the ball. And Evans is grabbing more rebounds than he ever has before because he has little competition from his own teammates. Particularly you-know-who, starting at center beside him in the front court. Any good rebounder playing in the same position would likely grab a lot of boards, including Jason Thompson, who doesn't have any of Evans's weaknesses.

In addition to his aforementioned weaknesses, Evans is too short for his position, at 6'8". Some players, like Charles Oakley, have overcome that weakness. Evans has had more than enough time in his career to do so, and has failed. The Raptors need a huge, wide-bodied shot blocker to play beside Bargnani, to hide the latter's weaknesses and maximize his strengths. Evans isn't close to being that thing.

The worrisome thing about Evans is his personal mannerisms and style on the court, which I would describe as frantic, emphatic, exaggerated and chaotic, are seductive and insidious in their way of convincing fans that everything good that's happening is being caused or facilitated by Evans. In sum, don't let Evans's "Hulk Hogan" act fool you into thinking he's doing more to help the team than he really is.
              That is a well put response. I would tend to agree. His long term future is not with the Raptors. IMO his trade value will not get higher than now or possibly 3 days before trade deadline.

I would most certainly prefer Thompson to Evans. Thompson is average 4.7rebs in 15 mins. Last year he averaged 8.5 in 30. He shoots near 50% and he does have outside range. He would be a phenomenal back up C.

Comment

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/20...t-should-we-do

Link is about Thompson to Suns. Gives an idea of what another team might/could offer who could definitely use him.

Comment

Would you believe me if I told you that some people on this forum actually think that Evans shouldn't be traded and that Amir shouldn't replace him in the starting line-up.

Comment

i wouldnt mind this at all. if we happen to acquire him, hes another young piece that can grow and mesh with demar and weems. sooo i wud acutally like to see him with the red white and black colours on
                    http://www.twitter.com/YateeshKevin23

Comment

I do believe this is a pure salary dump move and if that's the case then Toronto might be the front runner to recieve this because of the PTE.

Toronto might actually be able to land Thopmson without trading anybody. I say go for it, Thompson will be more useful next season when Reggie and Andersen come off the books.

Comment

And how has Oakley overcome that weakness?
                        He is neither a shot-blocker(career 0.3 bpg) nor a more productive player (career 13.4 PER vs. Reggie's 11.5). His offensive game may be more polished but Reggie is without a doubt, the better rebounder.

Comment

if the dude is behind darnell 'lacktion' jackson in the depth chart of a pretty bad team (albeit one with a bright future), i can't say i'm all that excited at the prospect of acquiring him.

what makes BC think he'd crack the rotation of reggie, the 34 million dollar man, davis when we get him back, and occasionally kleiza? sounds like a lateral move at best

Comment

Evans has the ability to be a very good back up. His offense is awful sure but I think it would look slightly better against other teams bench players and he does bring great rebounding. If we can get a good deal for him, and we should since he's expiring,by all means take it but at the moment I see no reason to have a fire sale. He definitely should not be starting,but that's another kettle of fish.
                            Reggie does bring hustle and some extra leadership to this team and I think you shouldn't undervalue that, especially on a team that lacks a veteran presence. I'm all for keeping him until the trade deadline then trying to leverage his expiring into a good piece. Then we can resign him for the veteran's minimum later if we still want him.
                            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Prime wrote: View Post
                              And how has Oakley overcome that weakness?
                              He is neither a shot-blocker(career 0.3 bpg) nor a more productive player (career 13.4 PER vs. Reggie's 11.5). His offensive game may be more polished but Reggie is without a doubt, the better rebounder.
                              You're counting many years after Oakley's prime in the PER total. Oakley was not only a much more polished offensive player, but was a brilliant post defender, one of the best ever. Shot blocking is not the only defensive skill a defender has to have. Oakley was sturdy and strong as a bull. He imposed his will on the offensive player.

Comment

Yes, but Reggie is a capable post defender in his right and if we're comparing attributes, Reggie is about as physical as they get.

Also, Oakley wasn't that much better on the offensive end. In fact, I'm pretty sure Oak has had some Reggie-esque moments. For example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-mNe9nYicY
                                It's very possible that some of his stats are inflated since he was always playing on winning teams that had a legit #1 and #2 options.

Comment

Working...
                                X