Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 101

Thread: Raptors Interested in Jason Thompson

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic Rookie AllenL2R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No, not another power forward. Don't we have enough of them? Thompson can't play the 5 because he's only about 6'9.

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thompson is listed at 6'11".

  3. #43
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thompson is a combo big. He can play PF or Center.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    ďAs a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to winĒ
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote AllenL2R wrote: View Post
    No, not another power forward. Don't we have enough of them? Thompson can't play the 5 because he's only about 6'9.
    For some reason, I was under this impression, too. Maybe he's grown since he was drafted. Who knows, but he's actually listed as a center on ESPN and all the sites have him listed as 6'11.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  5. #45
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    For some reason, I was under this impression, too. Maybe he's grown since he was drafted. Who knows, but he's actually listed as a center on ESPN and all the sites have him listed as 6'11.
    Cousins has taken his playing time and he is not happy.

    I don't know what kind of upside he has.

    His numbers have not improved since his rookie season in 2008-09 when he mostly started and got close to 30 mpg.

    In fact this season his numbers so far are in the sheeter big time.

    He will never get his minutes back from Cousins unless Cousins eats himself out of the league, like Oliver Miller did.

    So Thompson has become the odd man out.

    He definitely has some talent.

    Would he be better than Andersen has a backup to Bargnani?

    I don't know, Andersen has played pretty good so far and still only 30 or 31 so he should have a few seasons left before his game starts to show the signs of age.

    Thompson I believe is 24. He was either a three or four year man at Ryder when he get drafted.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sun Nov 14th, 2010 at 02:41 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    ďAs a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to winĒ
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  6. #46
    Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    897
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am of three minds on this subject.

    1. the only Raptor that I would trade for Thompson is Andersen (who I'm a fan of) but what Sacramento wants is a SG, to replace Kevin Martin. Something we couldn't give them.

    2. I can understand that Thompson is grumpy with his playing time. but I'd think Sacramento would rather trade Dalembert or let Dalembert's contract expire. Which would make Thompson serviceable again.

    3. I'm also reluctant to bring in another front court player (unless we trade Bargnani) because I still want to see how this team will gel over the course of the season.

    I think the Raptors should hold pat until the off-season since there will be plenty of good restricted and un-restricted free agents to go after. (Like take a flyer on Oden).
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

  7. #47
    Raptors Republic Starter raptorsking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote AllenL2R wrote: View Post
    No, not another power forward. Don't we have enough of them? Thompson can't play the 5 because he's only about 6'9.
    +1 we have enough already. and i dont think thompson will ever amount to anything while ed davis has allstar potential...... hopefully.

  8. #48
    Raptors Republic Rookie TheAudman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If there truly is an interest in JT then it would only make sense that one of our bigs would be shipped out - Reggie or Andersen would be the likely options to eliminate a log jam.

    Make no mistake about it, Jason Thompson would be a solid pick up.
    Audley
    The NBA Breakdown - For Hoops Talk, The Way It Should Be!

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JoePanini wrote: View Post
    The Knicks did it. They would have over $20M off the books next year if they went through with this trade, plus next years draft is considered to be pretty bad. The top prospects are mostly forwards, and the Kings have a load of great potential big men. We could also give them our TPE and take on one of their bad contracts...
    the knicks did it ?? yea when ?? sacramento's payroll next year is 27 million ?? yea they really need to dump some salary joe !

    yea the draft class is weak ?? thats funny cuz itz only november and the ncaa tournament hasnt even started yet...

    the 2009 class was considered weak and look who came out of it... curry, evans, jennings, holiday, blake, etc...

    hmm i really want to trade 1st round pick for evans (a forward) and banks ( a guard when i already have tyreke) yea joe... really reasonable trade...

    yea trading away 1st round picks for expiring contracts when you're way under the salary cap is a great move...

    can you explain how they have a load of great potential big men ??

    any more bright ideas ??

    also can you explain how the knicks who went into this season under the cap would have saved 20 million ??

    actually dont bother, there is nothing to learn from anything you say...

    you probably think michael beasley who puts up better numbers than bargs is a franchise max money player cuz he scores 20 pts a game
    Last edited by Legalize-It; Sun Nov 14th, 2010 at 08:04 PM.

  10. #50
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TheAudman wrote: View Post
    If there truly is an interest in JT then it would only make sense that one of our bigs would be shipped out - Reggie or Andersen would be the likely options to eliminate a log jam.

    Make no mistake about it, Jason Thompson would be a solid pick up.
    He is having a nice game tonight in limited minutes
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    ďAs a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to winĒ
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  11. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd way rather go after Joe Alexander

  12. #52
    Raptors Republic Rookie philwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Get him. I don't know why anyone is even questioning sending out an old man for a young man with better career averages.

    Even in only 15 minutes a game this season JT is a 5 and 5 guy.
    It's about money

  13. #53
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    I'd way rather go after Joe Alexander
    You'd rather get a guy who three teams didn't want, and was recently waived, and who has very little skill other than his athleticism, than get a guy who, in two+ years in the league, has averaged 11.5 ppg and 7.8 rpg, while playing just under 30 mpg, is 6'11 and 24 years old?

    Why?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  14. #54
    Raptors Republic Rookie AllenL2R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If he's truly 6'11 he'd be a great pick-up. He had a solid rookie year and, for some reason, hasn't been able to build on it. But he's more of a perimeter threat than an inside presence, so I'm not sure he'd provide the team with what it needs.

  15. #55
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Legalize-It wrote: View Post
    the knicks did it ?? yea when ?? sacramento's payroll next year is 27 million ?? yea they really need to dump some salary joe !

    yea the draft class is weak ?? thats funny cuz itz only november and the ncaa tournament hasnt even started yet...

    the 2009 class was considered weak and look who came out of it... curry, evans, jennings, holiday, blake, etc...

    hmm i really want to trade 1st round pick for evans (a forward) and banks ( a guard when i already have tyreke) yea joe... really reasonable trade...

    yea trading away 1st round picks for expiring contracts when you're way under the salary cap is a great move...

    can you explain how they have a load of great potential big men ??

    any more bright ideas ??

    also can you explain how the knicks who went into this season under the cap would have saved 20 million ??

    actually dont bother, there is nothing to learn from anything you say...

    you probably think michael beasley who puts up better numbers than bargs is a franchise max money player cuz he scores 20 pts a game
    I don't understand why you are getting so worked up over this.

    Anyways what would you want to learn from my post? It was a trade proposal. There is not much to learn from a trade proposal. And as you are not an NBA owner, and not an NBA owner of a team that struggles to win 20 games a year. And you would not know what all that money means. Just because he is under the cap doesn't mean he wouldn't want to save more money. Through this trade he saves $15 million dollars this year, instead of having to wait. And he saves nearly $30 million over the next few years. Considering he will soon have to re-sign Tyreke Evans to a max-deal, he will probably want a load of cap-room, cause no one wants to be a 20 win team and be way over the cap. Because shortly after Evans receives his max-deal, if Cousins and the other youngsters on the team will also want pay raises. Plus all the rookies and sophomores on the team have contracts which increase in salary each year, so that would put Sacramento even deeper in salary costs. Businessmen have to think of their franchise on the long-term, or else they will end up like Detroit, who are stuck with Villanueva and Gordon for 4 more years with no cap-flexibility whilst not getting to the playoffs and the Palace doesn't even fill up that often.

    Well you go tell Marc J. Spears how funny that sounds. And if you check the players who are probably going to be picked in the lottery, it reminds you a lot of the 2006 draft, which was also filled with forwards. Apart from Irving and Barnes I don't see most of the other players become great or more than average players.

    Evans and Banks are $10 worth of expiring, in exchange for a guy who is earning $5 million a year over the next 3 years.

    Donte Greene, DeMarcus Cousins, Carl Landry, Hassan Whiteside... all young, all with good potential.

    I'm not talking about this year, I said the Knicks DID it. In the past. To try and get LeBron?

    And I don't think Beasley is a franchise player.

  16. #56
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote AllenL2R wrote: View Post
    If he's truly 6'11 he'd be a great pick-up. He had a solid rookie year and, for some reason, hasn't been able to build on it. But he's more of a perimeter threat than an inside presence, so I'm not sure he'd provide the team with what it needs.
    Actually, he did build on it. Rookie year 11/7.4, 2nd year 12.5/8.5, 3rd year DeMarcus Cousins is deemed to have more potential - rightfully so - Sammy D is brought in, and Carl Landry is still there - welcome to the bench JT. More of tough breaks than anything he has done.

  17. #57
    Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    897
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    People think that Sacremento will let Dalembert and Thompson go this year? Will NO go after Thompson, since they don't have a good back-up to Okafor (Aaron Gray is not the real deal)?

    Why would Sacramento want an expiring when they already have the lowest payroll in the league?
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

  18. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JoePanini wrote: View Post
    I don't understand why you are getting so worked up over this.

    Anyways what would you want to learn from my post? It was a trade proposal. There is not much to learn from a trade proposal. And as you are not an NBA owner, and not an NBA owner of a team that struggles to win 20 games a year. And you would not know what all that money means. Just because he is under the cap doesn't mean he wouldn't want to save more money. Through this trade he saves $15 million dollars this year, instead of having to wait. And he saves nearly $30 million over the next few years. Considering he will soon have to re-sign Tyreke Evans to a max-deal, he will probably want a load of cap-room, cause no one wants to be a 20 win team and be way over the cap. Because shortly after Evans receives his max-deal, if Cousins and the other youngsters on the team will also want pay raises. Plus all the rookies and sophomores on the team have contracts which increase in salary each year, so that would put Sacramento even deeper in salary costs. Businessmen have to think of their franchise on the long-term, or else they will end up like Detroit, who are stuck with Villanueva and Gordon for 4 more years with no cap-flexibility whilst not getting to the playoffs and the Palace doesn't even fill up that often.

    Well you go tell Marc J. Spears how funny that sounds. And if you check the players who are probably going to be picked in the lottery, it reminds you a lot of the 2006 draft, which was also filled with forwards. Apart from Irving and Barnes I don't see most of the other players become great or more than average players.

    Evans and Banks are $10 worth of expiring, in exchange for a guy who is earning $5 million a year over the next 3 years.

    Donte Greene, DeMarcus Cousins, Carl Landry, Hassan Whiteside... all young, all with good potential.

    I'm not talking about this year, I said the Knicks DID it. In the past. To try and get LeBron?

    And I don't think Beasley is a franchise player.
    yo thompson makes 3 million next year... after that there is a TEAM OPTION on him... so please explain how the kings would save 15 million or 30 million by taking reggie evans and marcus banks for him ??

    i dont think you had ever heard of curry, tyreke, jennings, or even blake griffin before they were drafted so who are you to say this year's draft class has no one that will play in the nba outside of barnes and irving ??

    there are posters on this board who actually know ball, and then there's you...

  19. #59
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    ďAs a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to winĒ
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  20. #60
    Raptors Republic Starter Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Offer them the same deal we got from the Rockets.... David Anderson's partially guarenteed contract fully paid (the Rockets sent cash to pay his salary for this year) for thompson. Or if they'd rather have Banks or Evans but I doubt they would want that... No picks traded unless it's the right to swap 2nd rounders or Miami's 1st rounder for their 2nd rounder (likely ~10 spots later lol)
    When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •