Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is wrong with Triano? His substitutions tonight were horrible.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is wrong with Triano? His substitutions tonight were horrible.

ok we played really badly against washington tonight, bargniani looked horrible, when somebody plays defense that badly there need to be some consequences. He wasn't a positive on offence sit him down. Sunny Weems had what 14 points at the half shooting a high percentage, what does triano do, he sits him the whole fourth quarter. What kind of message is this sending to the players. Play well and sit, play horrible and we'll keep you out there. Somebody needs to sit triano down and set him straight or get rid of him. I had high hopes for triano as a coach but he really has done a horrible job this year. Another thing that triano does is he is really late in letting the bench guys play when the game is out of hand. It's a sign of a bad coach....Coach K if your out there somewhere you gotta call up triano and give him some good advice. He needs it.
    Rob

I don't understand what he is trying to do with some of the rotations. I don't have access to the coaches tape but from what my basketball knowledge tells me wright should be playing more, banks should be playing more and as long as sonny is playing within the offensive sets he should be playing more.

Comment

This is an excellent post, I agree with everything.

He benched weems too much. Weems was hot, and when you bench him there is a limited chance of (when he comes back on) him being hot again. Its terrible coaching. I often wonder why he does not get as much slack as mitchell. Mitchell acknowledged that his team could not play D, so we scored tons of points. I dont know, it seems his efforts are futile. I can understand the bad d, i mean, this team has 1 or 2 defensive bigs (if that) and nothing else. We have athleticism in the wings, but yet never find a way to use it to its full extent.

Verdict: Not trianos fault is becoming a bad excuse.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
        This is an excellent post, I agree with everything.

He benched weems too much. Weems was hot, and when you bench him there is a limited chance of (when he comes back on) him being hot again. Its terrible coaching. I often wonder why he does not get as much slack as mitchell. Mitchell acknowledged that his team could not play D, so we scored tons of points. I dont know, it seems his efforts are futile. I can understand the bad d, i mean, this team has 1 or 2 defensive bigs (if that) and nothing else. We have athleticism in the wings, but yet never find a way to use it to its full extent.

Verdict: Not trianos fault is becoming a bad excuse.
        Weems was a minus 16
        Bargnani was a minus 17
        Evans was a minus 22

DeRozan was the only other Raptors starter and player with a minus in double figures. He was a minus 10

Clearly playing Evans, Weems and Bargnani together did not work tonight

Has the Doug Smith lineup ever worked?

Not very often.

The Cavs must be scratching their heads. Actually Kleiza started in that game.
        Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Nov 16, 2010, 11:09 PM.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

+/- doesn't tell the whole story

I know that lineup with Evans, Sonny Weems, De Rosan and Bargniani didn't work. If you look at which player killed us it was Blatch. The guy shoot 70% for the game. Bargniani was clearly the weakest link, when he wasn't in there, the defence played much better. Also I noticed that Bargniani was a momentum killer, he was taken forced contested shots and just killed any runs that the raptors would start. Sonny Weems who was he guarding? I saw De Rosan on Arenas in the 2nd half, Arenas was killing him, I didn't see whomever Sonny Weems was guarding scoring too much. He clearly is better at defence than De Rosan. Leave sonny out there with Amir Johnson, Wright and Calderon. That is our best 4 together in my opinion. At least Sonny can play decent defense, create his own shots and shoot a high percentage
          Rob

Comment

The third quarter is where we got slaughtered. If I can remember correctly, Triano played Banks and Calderon together for a good chunk of the time. Triano brought in Banks to play D on Arenas because he was starting to light it up. That was understandable but at the same time Triano was playing BARGS, CALDERON, AND KLEIZA - three horrible defenders. The Wizards absolutely ate us up. Also, why did Triano play Banks and Calderon together? He could easily have pulled Banks and played Julian Wright who is also a very good defender? He could have played Sonny Weems, another good defender. He had many options, yet he chose to go with Banks and Calderon? Triano's horrible decision making allowed the Wizards to run away with the game in the third quarter. However, he cant totally be at fault because none of the Raptors except Sonny seemed to have bring any energy into this game. Wow just wow.

Comment

The substitutions were horrible. You like to give a NBA coach the benefit of the doubt and naturally assume they know better than you, but Triano consistently produces head scratches.

Even Jack and Devlin question what's going on half the time, either proclaiming there should have been an earlier whistle, who's hot, or that Calderon, who's had two previous good games can play in the 3rd even with 2 fouls. No offense to Banks, he's a good 3rd stringer and a consummate professional, but we have 2 point guards better than him, when we're down 10+ with only two wins in the season, I'd like to think our coach help rather than hinder our chances to win.

The inconsistent leash have already been mentioned above with Weems and Wright seemingly with the shortest length. Whereas Bargnani, shooting bricks in the first quarter, takes a terrible shot resulting in a fast break, doesn't play transition defense, gives his man a layup without him so much as bothering to turn around, is allowed to continue to shoot bricks and not rebound.

Triano's coaching is best described as getting consistently terrible calls from the refs but worse. You get increasingly frustrated at the screen, thinking in your head how unfair and handicapped things are going. However, it's worse because referee calls are uncontrollable and the refs aren't suppose to be playing for your team, unlike your coach.

There's a million threads screaming for BC, Calderon, and Bargnani's head while Triano has received less criticism than Jarrett Jack. Personally, for me, if anyone needs to go, it's Triano first.

Comment

I really don't understand how nobody in the organization has tried to do something about his sub patterns, it's his third season! There's gotta be somebody that see's this, whether it's BC or one of the assistants, that can say something to him. I know it all comes down to what Jay says, but shouldn't he have someone there to point out these gaffe's? Or are they as narrow minded as he seems to be?

Comment

OntheGo wrote: View Post
                  The third quarter is where we got slaughtered. If I can remember correctly, Triano played Banks and Calderon together for a good chunk of the time. Triano brought in Banks to play D on Arenas because he was starting to light it up. That was understandable but at the same time Triano was playing BARGS, CALDERON, AND KLEIZA - three horrible defenders. The Wizards absolutely ate us up. Also, why did Triano play Banks and Calderon together? He could easily have pulled Banks and played Julian Wright who is also a very good defender? He could have played Sonny Weems, another good defender. He had many options, yet he chose to go with Banks and Calderon? Triano's horrible decision making allowed the Wizards to run away with the game in the third quarter. However, he cant totally be at fault because none of the Raptors except Sonny seemed to have bring any energy into this game. Wow just wow.
                  That bother me as well I can't think of one reason u play banks and calderon or banks and jack when calderon or jack don't play good D. We scream we want defense they say they want defense yet our defensive players don't get on at the same time. Its not like we don't have enough offensive minded people we can't start a defensive line up then insert offense when we need it.

Comment

I agree that his rotation patterns are terrible. I think it has a lot to do with whats already been mentioned, i.e. Bargnani's seemingly long leash. Every other player gets the quick subsitution or benching at questionable moments but Bargs always seems to be in the game regardless of how good or bad he's doing.

Also, his playing of Calderon+Bargnani together for extended minutes - who are notoriously famous for being bad defenders - makes absolutely no sense to me. People claim certain players on the Raptors get extended minutes to 'showcase them' for trades, but I don't see any trades happening and Calderon has been showcased for almost a year now ...

Comment

Triano had rotations which were working in the Orlando and Miami games. I don't understand why he went away from them? Does Triano think that this is still the pre-season where he can keep trying different lineups to see which ones work? WE HAVE SEEN PLENTY WHICH WORK AND WELL AT THAT. If i ever injure myself banging my head during a Raptors game, it will be to the fault of TRIANO or BARGS

Comment

BArgs has got to go

The playing of a non traditional center isn't working. I don't understand how he isn't benched / called out in the press / made to run until he pukes for the type of effort he gave tonight. If BC is telling Triano to play him no matter what then he has to go too.
                        Bargs skill set is not elite enough to be a part of any winning combination. find a team that admires his offensive abilities and just LET HIM GO !!

Comment

I often wonder if triano totally forgets about subbing

A good coach is very aware when is a good time to sub, who's hot, who should get fewer minutes based on performance. I often wonder if Triano is totally overwhelmed by what is going on that he has no clue when to substitute. I think the assistant coaches and/or Colangelo need to pull him aside and say hey, you need to work on your substitutions, have an assistant coach next to him during the game saying hey Jay, Weems is hot, he carried us in the first half why don't we put him back in early. Or Jay, we're getting hammered on the boards, reggies tired, let's give Dorsey some minutes, he played great earlier lets give him a chance. Or Andrea looks tired, he has nothing left in the tank let's give him a breather, let amir play some defence for a few minutes and throw bargniani back in there. Where is that guy? Also I am seriously thinking that there is something physically wrong with Bargniani, I think he's trying, I just don't think enough oxygen is getting to his brain, he often looks confused and is very slow to react. He hasn't always been this way, I wonder if someone has checked his sinuses recently. I remember he had surgery there, he hasn't looked the same since. I'm wondering if there is an issue there. Is it me or does he look alot slower to react then last season. It's strange because sometimes he has life and you can see him play really good defence, it just doesn't last very long.

Comment

Triano is so bad. He had Banks in, and we actually started mounting a comeback. Then, at 9:26 in the 4th, he sits Banks and puts in Jack who proceeds to take 2 shit shots and miss, at the same time stalling our momentum.

Comment

Jack was just playing for himself last night. Friends and family there - he wanted to put on a strong showing for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X