View Poll Results: Should Raptors take a chance on Oden?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 43.59%
  • No

22 56.41%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should Raptors Take a Chance on Oden?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    We wouldn't be giving up anything for him unlike JO.
    Dude...we would have to pay him SOMETHING wouldn't we. That is a loss right there. I would rather have Joey Dorsey then Oden. Poor Oden though, he has been injured for how many seasons now? Kid had potential. At least he got famous for sending a pic of his junk.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

His potential IMO justifies the risk of losing 10 million.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you do it, if the price is right. I suspect there will be a bit of a bidding war among teams offering cheap contracts and it might come down to which team Oden WANTS to go to or which team is the most desperate and offers the most money.

Either way, given the way the raps' salary structure is going to shake out over the next 3-4 years, you'd be foolish not to give it a shot (unless the league goes to a hard cap or something after the upcoming negotiations). It may not pan out, but just about every team has bad contracts and he could always be dumped. If there's one thing BC's proven, it's that he can dump his mistakes.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

You're not very good at business then. The cost benefit analysis on Oden reads - DO NOT TOUCH.

Amare had the surgery once on one knee and it wasn't that bad.

Oden has had too many surgeries to justify paying him one cent at his age. His knees have arthritis and he's only going to be big and fat as he's not playing this year. Brandon Roy is going to be on the shelf in about 2 years as well.

No cartridge in knee = no more basketball.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote agentRC4 wrote: View Post
    You're not very good at business then. The cost benefit analysis on Oden reads - DO NOT TOUCH.

Amare had the surgery once on one knee and it wasn't that bad.

Oden has had too many surgeries to justify paying him one cent at his age. His knees have arthritis and he's only going to be big and fat as he's not playing this year. Brandon Roy is going to be on the shelf in about 2 years as well.

No cartridge in knee = no more basketball.
    Oden isn't worth $500.000. The insurance on him would be ridiculous alone. Dude hasnt played since like 08-09 era. And then, how many games did he play? Like, I feel sorry for the guy, sincerely sorry for him. But, I don't think our team should sign him at all. I agree with you totally. Likewise B Roy, dude is gonna be done soon enuff.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...ilblazers-oden

Should the Raptors try and sign him once he hits the market?

I personally think that we should offer him a short term deal. We really need to true C and Oden has the potential to one of the best in the league if he can stay healthy.
    A $2-3m contract over 2 years with a team option is good enough. Such contract will not affect the cap and even if Oden plays in the NBA without injuries, his contract should be max $5m a year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

A Roy and Durant tandem would of been sick.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The team that knows him best is taking a pass on him. He would be well advised to shut it down for a couple of years and then see what he can do.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We already have our own unlucky version of Oden on our team and his name is Ed Davis.

Raptors Republic Rookie TheAudman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for giving a guy a chance but can we pass on this one, please??
    Audley
    The NBA Breakdown - For Hoops Talk, The Way It Should Be!

Raptors Republic Rookie your mom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

definitely worth it for about 2 mil a yr for a couple years. its the perfect low risk high reward situation. esp considering that by the time he's back he'll be like only 24 yrs old? thats more than enough time and still young enough to improve dramatically. if im BC i go for it without question.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you even read the original post?
    My bad...no I did not read the link.

My post obviously related to his condition before this...so I take it back! Jeez poor guy there has to be something seriously wrong with him. Has there ever been a player with both knees having this surgery along with a knee cap dislocation. I get jeebies just thinking about it. This latest surgery will set back his actual playdate (if he can) probably late into the 2011-12 season or even 12-13. For a developing franchise like the Raps it just doesnt make sense with his current contract expiring this season. If it's a Sonny Weems special, maybe. The odds are very low in my view.

Raptors Republic Rookie big red's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Beaverboi wrote: View Post
    Too bad all the good surgeons leave here and go to the states, though.
    You know that doesn't actually happen, right?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

1 year league minimum with a team option. What a shame, I hope he can get through this.

Raptors Republic Rookie Killingjoke's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

sure, hes off the books this year so thats some cap space there

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes

With him, any team becomes much improved defensively and in terms of rebounding plus he has offensive potential. That being said, Blazers know a healthy roy and oden will put them over the top and will not just let him leave with them being so close.

The raptors should make a play for Oden this offseason, the team is clearly rebuilding and we do not really need cap flexibility when we figure to be a loser team and try to accumulate high quality draft picks. I will limit it to 3 years, with the third being an option, and would offer:

3 years, 45 million, broken down as:

1st year 15 million
    2nd year 13 million + 5 million performance bonus
    3rd year: activated upon performance targets or team options, 12 million

At the very least the contract has to be greater than 9 million because that is the qualifying offer amount for Oden. The Blazers will have 51 million before millers unguaranteed 7.8, and I would expect the salary cap would be around 53 milllion and luxury around 70. Since Roy might be injuried and they dont really have any other options, I think they will pick up Andre's contract, pushing their obligation to 58. Next, 3 centers besides Oden are off the books after the 2010 season so the Blazers will need to sign one, and I would assume they would use the mid-level on one because of the uncertainity with Oden's health and that pushes their commitments to around 64. If the Raptors frontload the contract, then the contract will push the salary total for the Blazers to 80 million and they would essentially be paying Oden 25 million dollars next year (15 million contract + 10 million luxury tax). I feel that would be too much risk for Paul Allen to take, plus this would complete destroy any potential salary cap room them may have in the next few years.

The Raptors should make a play for Oden, because he is potentially the only player who is dominant enough on defense and rebounding that Bargnani would flourish and fit within the system. Stretch 4s would give us a problem, and pnrs to a certain extent, but our help defense, and paint would be well guarded. Also, if we were to get a great draft pick and a stud sf, then our rotation would be this:

pg: Calderon, Jack
    sg: weems, dero
    sf: stud sf, kleiza
    pf: johnson, davis
    c: bargs, oden

Which is a much improved team.

Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He's had injury problems starting in high school. Dude's bones are as old as he looks. Can you say Ralph Sampson and Sam Bowie? How many of you would crucify Colangelo for signing him and he plays 20 games a season - the most he has ever played. I'll take a pass.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Raptors Republic Rookie Raptoronto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Only if he's Greg "Benjamin Button" Oden.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Who knew that a man that looked like he is 50 years old may actually have the physique of someone who is that age?!

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Does the NBA allow incentive-laden contracts?

I'd add several conditions to any contract for this "kid". He's way too frail up to this point to pay him anywhere close to what his talent level deserves.

Amar'e at least played several years as a BEAST before having this kind of injury. We've yet to see Oden play at a high level for longer than 1 month.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information