Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Sports Guy on Bryan Colangelo

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    think both you and the Sports Guy are vastly overvaluing Beasley. He's a volume scorer that does little else. Amir Johnson, despite his flaws, is a much better piece on a winning team than Beasley, who would have quite a bit of trouble fitting in on a contender where he was not the leading scorer. Much like he did in Miami. Beasley is the perfect guy for a team that doesn't want to win.

And you're judging Kleiza WAY too early. I'm pretty sure he's going to be easily worth his contract in the long run.
    Thats kind of a contradiction isn't it? This is only Beasley's third year in the L, and he's contending for western conference player of the week. Miami was completely the wrong fit for him, plain and simple. Kleiza and Amir probably are better role players, but Beez is a franchise player. I don't understand how you can go wrong with a franchise player, who other then got busted for smoking pot, hasn't really done anything else wrong to lose my respect. And lets be honest, I think allot of pro athletes smoke pot.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    Thats kind of a contradiction isn't it? This is only Beasley's third year in the L, and he's contending for western conference player of the week. Miami was completely the wrong fit for him, plain and simple. Kleiza and Amir probably are better role players, but Beez is a franchise player. I don't understand how you can go wrong with a franchise player, who other then got busted for smoking pot, hasn't really done anything else wrong to lose my respect. And lets be honest, I think allot of pro athletes smoke pot.
    I think its too soon to say he's a franchise guy lol
    and dont take this assinine argument seriously,just read the SN's and recognize its some biased front runnin goin on here....

Ppl are actually arguing beasley is a bum and kleiza is good based on what we seen so far clearly have there head up there asses ,but thats the typical online raptor fan for ya....

Post Thanks / Like

It is my understanding there was more going on with Beasley than smoking pot. There were serious mental health issues, depression, and a legit fear for his safety at one point two summers ago. This is why I'm happy everything appears to be working out for the guy but at the same time I'm glad TOR wasn't the one who took the gamble on him.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    It is my understanding there was more going on with Beasley than smoking pot. There were serious mental health issues, depression, and a legit fear for his safety at one point two summers ago. This is why I'm happy everything appears to be working out for the guy but at the same time I'm glad TOR wasn't the one who took the gamble on him.
    The media exaggerates and overblows alot of shit....

Member when Vince Young was trying to commit suicide allegedly ?

Oh it turns out he was just taking McNair kids out to a school function OH !?

Post Thanks / Like

Because Kleiza has proven he can be a roll player on a good team. Beasley hasn't. Beasley looks good right now because he is the main scorer on a bad team. If the talent level around him increased, he would be asked to shoot less. The less he shoots, the less value he has. His only real value is as a volume shooter. He has never shown an ability to do the little things to help a team win, which is the main reason Riley got rid of him.

Another reason I would choose Kleiza over Beasley is because if Beasley ends up averaging 20+ for the season, his value will be overinflated and you'll end up overpaying him. I'd rather pay Kleiza what he is making now, knowing that I can still use him when the team improves, than pay Beasley twice as much even though his value to the team will decrease as the team (hopefully) improves.
    I would tend to agree as his rebounding, assists, steals, and blocks are hardly impressive.

One area where Beasley is to be commended is his shooting percentage of late. Yes he is taking a high volume of shots but he is making around 50% of late.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Trife76 wrote: View Post
    The media exaggerates and overblows alot of shit....

Member when Vince Young was trying to commit suicide allegedly ?

Oh it turns out he was just taking McNair kids out to a school function OH !?
    You could be correct, but I do not think this was one of those cases.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Trife76 wrote: View Post
    \

This whole post is non sense....THIS city would eat him up ? lol
    He can get anything in Minneapolis that he can get here....have you been to Minny ? if not pls stop talking about things you dont know anything about....

What has he shown ? That a young player who hasnt matured yet can get into trouble,newsflash he isnt the first yet for some reason he is the standard on this board for this amzing new phenomenon....Guess what as he matures and gets older like most players do he'll figure it out......but dont exaggerate how bad his situation was and how bad it is....

lol @ the temptations in Toronto being a players downfall in the NBA

such non sense....
    drugs are extremely easy to come by here.

and its quite easy for a young man to lose himself in our city's nightlife.

but im not going to convince you... so no point arguing it.

you're right, toronto is the salt lake city of the north.

Post Thanks / Like

And you're judging Kleiza WAY too early. I'm pretty sure he's going to be easily worth his contract in the long run.
    Hopefully. So far he's the ultimate in volume scoring - TS% of 47.9% ranks him 42nd for SF. Beasley is much better at 55.6%.
    Never have a clue that passing the ball on occasion can actually improve your team's chances of winning.

Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Matt, Heinz and Tim.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Because Kleiza has proven he can be a roll player on a good team. Beasley hasn't. Beasley looks good right now because he is the main scorer on a bad team. If the talent level around him increased, he would be asked to shoot less. The less he shoots, the less value he has. His only real value is as a volume shooter. He has never shown an ability to do the little things to help a team win, which is the main reason Riley got rid of him.

Another reason I would choose Kleiza over Beasley is because if Beasley ends up averaging 20+ for the season, his value will be overinflated and you'll end up overpaying him. I'd rather pay Kleiza what he is making now, knowing that I can still use him when the team improves, than pay Beasley twice as much even though his value to the team will decrease as the team (hopefully) improves.

Perhaps next time, instead of throwing out a blanket insult because you disagree, you try and take the time to find out the reasons behind someone's argument. Or is that simply too difficult?
    the first sentence of your post shows how ignorant your are.... almost anyone in the league has proven they can be a role player on a good team...

big baby davis
    saha vujacic

the fact is beasley is younger, more talented, and has WAY MORE UPSIDE...

i would rather hav a player that smokes weed or w/e but plays hard, over bargs, TJ Ford, hedo turkoglu, and jason kapono.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    simmons doesnt know how good our weed is in toronto.... we'd destroy beasley here.
    People keep mentioning this in passing or as a joke, but I really believe it's true. Minnesota doesn't have the same "attractions" as cities like Los Angeles, Miami, and even Toronto have. Beasley can focus on his game with the T'Wolves, and because he's the only real offensive threat (and perhaps Love), that's what's showing up on the stat sheet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    People keep mentioning this in passing or as a joke, but I really believe it's true. Minnesota doesn't have the same "attractions" as cities like Los Angeles, Miami, and even Toronto have. Beasley can focus on his game with the T'Wolves, and because he's the only real offensive threat (and perhaps Love), that's what's showing up on the stat sheet.
    Beasly on Minny is like Martin on Sacramento. Scoring a lot on a bad team needs an * next to the number.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you consider Beasley a franchise player then we completely disagree. TO me, Beasley is nothing more than a guy who can score really well, much like Bargnani (I don't want to get into a Bargnani argument, just trying to show a comparison). Beasley has no above average skills other than scoring. He doesn't play defense, doesn't make his teammates better, doesn't rebound the ball well. The Raptors spent years trying to build around a borderline franchise player who had no above average skills other than scoring and rebounding. And they got nowhere. The real franchise players make their teammates look better. Beasley doesn't do that.

And as other people have stated, it's not the pot smoking, it's the possible mental health issues. In order to be a true franchise player in the NBA, you need a certain mental toughness. A guy who has battled depression, I'm sorry to say, will struggle just to remain consistent, let alone lead a team to a Championship.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    i keep saying it... and it gets taken as a joke... and to be honest, 90% of the time i frame it as a joke.. but i believe it wholeheartedly... given one hour after i leave work today, if i really wanted to, i could induldge in a plethora of "activity".................

hmm..

it is pay day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Legalize-It wrote: View Post
    the first sentence of your post shows how ignorant your are.... almost anyone in the league has proven they can be a role player on a good team...

big baby davis
    saha vujacic

the fact is beasley is younger, more talented, and has WAY MORE UPSIDE...

i would rather hav a player that smokes weed or w/e but plays hard, over bargs, TJ Ford, hedo turkoglu, and jason kapono.
    I had trouble getting past your first sentence. If you want to rephrase it without the insult, I'd be glad to respond.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Liston wrote: View Post
    Hopefully. So far he's the ultimate in volume scoring - TS% of 47.9% ranks him 42nd for SF. Beasley is much better at 55.6%.
    Never have a clue that passing the ball on occasion can actually improve your team's chances of winning.
    Kleiza was one of the two best Raptors during the preseason. I doubt he's going to be that good, but my guess is it will be somewhere in between what we've seen so far during the regular season, and what he did in the preseason. Hopefully closer to the latter.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that more than anything, Beasley would have wanted to leave toronto. He just seems like that kind of player. He's arrogant and would have a fit about playing in Canada (it's stupid but it happens). If for no other reason than to just avoid the headache of having a guy who doesn't want to be here, then great. We need more guys like the young gunz who love toronto. If they can develop and spread the love of Canada/Toronto with our top draft pick next summer then we'll be okay.

An important part of business is culture and what the young gunz are creating is a culture that loves canada, works hard and gives back to the community. Beasley would have taken away from that. What do we need more? Talent or culture? I think the culture has to come first and fans need to be patient with the process instead of trying to hang someone new everyday. e.g. Jack, Calderon, Colangelo, Triano, Bargnani. It circulates daily. We haven't played poorly except for the washington game. If we can compete and work hard all year long, then I will be happy (happier if we win) but happy nonetheless if everyone works their butts off. We don't have tons of talent but if we can show heart then we have something to build on.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that I agree w/ Tim W. on mostly everything in this topic except for his opinion on the lack of success people w/ mental health issues can have.

There are a ton of people who battle depression, etc...who go on to do great things.

I think in many cases, and I could see basketball as one of them, their depression may fuel them to become better and more competitive.

With that being said, sometimes I get upset we didn't take Beasley. But in the long run I think we will be happier with Kleiza.

And obviously BC has made some mega mega mistakes. But Ill bet a lot of us would agree that this team (without the major additions we are crossing our fingers for) are a much more exciting team to root for than a lot of the previous teams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    simmons doesnt know how good our weed is in toronto.... we'd destroy beasley here.
    hahahah, he's sitting out one game on the inactive list and is sitting on the sideline just all strung out.jokes

seriously, just johnson i understand,but, kleiza and johnson, hell no.

kleiza is better than beasley.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Starter Deadallus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

think both you and the Sports Guy are vastly overvaluing Beasley. He's a volume scorer that does little else. Amir Johnson, despite his flaws, is a much better piece on a winning team than Beasley, who would have quite a bit of trouble fitting in on a contender where he was not the leading scorer. Much like he did in Miami. Beasley is the perfect guy for a team that doesn't want to win.

Well Johnson is a volume fouler (is that even a word) who does little else. IF he can manage to not foul every 13 seconds then Simmons may be proven wrong. Until then, I would take a volume scorer who can consistantly stay on the court for 30+ minutes.
    Deadallus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information