Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Alabi's First D-League Game

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Solomon Alabi Bayhawks Game 1

    I watched abit of the Bayhawks game online tonight to check out Solomon.
    He actually played very well. 7 blocked shots in the game, 7 rebounds and 13 points. I personally think he could have had even better number because he was open alot but still never recieved the ball. Seems like alot of players in the D league are being greedy and dont want to pass. He would have had a few easy dunks if other players would have dished the ball when they were doubled on the drive. Great start so far, it will be interesting to see Alabi and Davis down there together.

    min, fgm-a, ftm-a, +/-, off, def, tot, ast, pf, st, to, bs, ba, pts
    27:13 , 4-10, 5-8, +9, 3, 4, 7, 0, 4, 0, 2, 7, 1, 13

    Erie won 109-71
    http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/201.../gameinfo.html
    Last edited by pesterm1; Sat Nov 20th, 2010 at 02:09 AM.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    on top of Jenna Jameson
    Posts
    764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Certainly seems like he can build some confidence and experience in the D-League. I haven't watched a D-League game. What's better - to develop by playing against NBA players in practice and warming the bench or getting lots of playing time against B-level talent? What is the coaching like? Can Alabi get the proper coaching to develop his game? Where do D-League coaches come from and where do they progress to? A bit off topic, I know.

    I
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    LOL 7 blocks. Alabi playing with the lil kids.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorDan wrote: View Post
    Certainly seems like he can build some confidence and experience in the D-League. I haven't watched a D-League game. What's better - to develop by playing against NBA players in practice and warming the bench or getting lots of playing time against B-level talent? What is the coaching like? Can Alabi get the proper coaching to develop his game? Where do D-League coaches come from and where do they progress to? A bit off topic, I know.

    I
    Not to sure. I havent watched many D league games myself. Just thought id check this one out because Solomon was playing. If you go to D leagues website it seems like many of the games will be streemed online for free.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorDan wrote: View Post
    Certainly seems like he can build some confidence and experience in the D-League. I haven't watched a D-League game. What's better - to develop by playing against NBA players in practice and warming the bench or getting lots of playing time against B-level talent? What is the coaching like? Can Alabi get the proper coaching to develop his game? Where do D-League coaches come from and where do they progress to? A bit off topic, I know.

    I
    The problem with the NBA is that there simply isn't a lot of real practice time during the season. Guys like Alabi will get a lot of time with the assistant coaches, but not a lot of time spent playing 5 on 5 games. Practices will be a lot of running plays and going over gameplans, but not a lot of game-like conditions. After a while, a player that doesn't get any time on the floor really needs to get in some sort of game in order to test the skills he's been learning. The talent level certainly isn't great, which is why you don't want him spending too much time down there, it gets him some court time.

    The coaching is usually pretty good. The coaches are generally guys who are working their way up the coaching ranks and many will eventually become assistant or head coaches in the NBA. Or you've got a guy like Eric Musselman, who was a head coach in the NBA, as well as an assistant. He's a head coach in the NDBL, although I can't remember for which team. There simply aren't a lot of coaching jobs in the NBA, so guys take jobs where they can.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    on top of Jenna Jameson
    Posts
    764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    cool thanks
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NORTHCOAST
    Posts
    1,140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Alabi's First D-League Game

    In 27 mins: 13 pts, 7 rbs, and get ready for it...7 blocks!
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    2,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sounds great, I'd keep him down there possibly for the season just so he gets minutes and game action. If he has strong enough season then I think you bring him up next season to try with the big club.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    nice I want to see his growth does anyone know what channel his games would be on

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter RPT23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sorry I don't follow the NBDL but is Alabi the only 7 footer there? Sounds like he's the Manute Bol of the NBDL... 7 blocks?? Crazy. Wish he could be doing the same up with the big boys. Just a matter of time I guess.
    #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    2,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    nice I want to see his growth does anyone know what channel his games would be on
    I believe the NBADL is on Versus in the States, but I'm not sure if there's any links on the net.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    In 27 mins: 13 pts, 7 rbs, and get ready for it...7 blocks!
    Those are Cheikh Samb D-League numbers

    Last season he averaged

    Minutes----26
    Points------12
    Rebounds---7
    Blocks------4

    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...sambch01d.html

    Yea but this guy got 6 blocks last night vs the Lakers along with 23 points and 16 rebounds.

    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NORTHCOAST
    Posts
    1,140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    nice I want to see his growth does anyone know what channel his games would be on
    Not sure about this year but I know last year you could live stream all the games on the each team's website.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RPT23 wrote: View Post
    Sorry I don't follow the NBDL but is Alabi the only 7 footer there? Sounds like he's the Manute Bol of the NBDL... 7 blocks?? Crazy. Wish he could be doing the same up with the big boys. Just a matter of time I guess.
    You can watch some but not all of the games on the D leagues website

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NORTHCOAST
    Posts
    1,140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Those are Cheikh Samb D-League numbers

    Last season he averaged

    Minutes----26
    Points------12
    Rebounds---7
    Blocks------4

    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...sambch01d.html

    Yea but this guy got 6 blocks last night vs the Lakers along with 23 points and 16 rebounds.

    Not sure what your point is Buddha. Im not getting that excited and ready to call him the next Mutumbo or anything, just nice to see he had a good first game.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote pesterm1 wrote: View Post
    You can watch some but not all of the games on the D leagues website
    You can watch almost all of them...

    http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/dleague_webcasts.html

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,308
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Problem with DLeague is a lot of players can become "black holes". You have a whole team trying to get attention from scouts while 2-4 players already have contracts. Unless players are really personable, you have a pass-first point guard, or the coach has an iron-fist its tough for nba contract players to get big numbers(big like 30+pts). That's decent numbers for him. But I still expect more, if he expects to survive in the league. He should spend 3/4 of the season down there. He needs the time on the floor and become the type of player who demands the ball on offence down there.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Problem with DLeague is a lot of players can become "black holes". You have a whole team trying to get attention from scouts while 2-4 players already have contracts. Unless players are really personable, you have a pass-first point guard, or the coach has an iron-fist its tough for nba contract players to get big numbers(big like 30+pts). That's decent numbers for him. But I still expect more, if he expects to survive in the league. He should spend 3/4 of the season down there. He needs the time on the floor and become the type of player who demands the ball on offence down there.
    I watched a some of the game and Alabi was asking for the ball in paint a lot so I'd have to say he is demanding the ball offensively.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    I watched a some of the game and Alabi was asking for the ball in paint a lot so I'd have to say he is demanding the ball offensively.
    Game #2

    MP 24
    Fouls 4 - That is 8 is two games in about 50 minutes in the D-League where no one guards anyone.

    FGA 6
    FGM 1
    FTA 8
    FTM 6
    Points 8
    Blocks 2
    Turnovers 3

    http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/201...t2hp2021000006

    I saw part of the game and he was running like he was in mud up to his ankles

    This was the second of a back to back.

    He also had trouble with that in the LVSL

    Seems like he is not too well conditioned.

    Maybe playing 2 games a week in the D-League will help.

    By Comparison Johnson in the D-League averaged per game in 32 mpg

    Fouls 4 in same as about Alabi in about 8 more mpg

    Points 18
    Rebounds 9
    Blocks 2
    FG% 64%
    FT% 74

    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...ohnsam01d.html

    Look at the problems Johnson is still having learning how to play in the NBA.

    Alabi has a long way to go 4sure.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    he is 7'2 I wouldn't expect him to be too fast from what I have seen I think he will out run most big men in the league

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •