View Poll Results: Are The Raptors Still Going To Move The TPE?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 80.77%
  • No

5 19.23%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is The Peja Trade A Sign Of The Raptors Not Using The Large TPE?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is The Peja Trade A Sign Of The Raptors Not Using The Large TPE?

If the Raptors are acquiring Peja it can only be for one reason, cutting cap. If they're looking to cut cap then using the TPE could be counter productive to their goals/game plan. Do you feel they're still going to use the TPE and if yes what sort of deal do you feel they will be looking for?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

just look for any overpaid players who are way past their prime and have bad attitudes...

(j.o., hedo, ford)

bc's typical acquisitions...

Post Thanks / Like

I have a feeling BC will hang on to it for a while until some other things shake out... that said, if something amazing comes up he could jump at any time. Not using the TPE would piss a lot of people off because that was supposed to be the big asset coming back for Bosh.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    If the Raptors are acquiring Peja it can only be for one reason, cutting cap. If they're looking to cut cap then using the TPE could be counter productive to their goals/game plan. Do you feel they're still going to use the TPE and if yes what sort of deal do you feel they will be looking for?
    I think it will depend on the type of deal offered or pursued.

It is important to remember that if the TPE is not used fully or expires (although it would appear $2.2M of it is being used for the Peja trade) it only becomes unused cap space next summer.

Whoever the TPE is used on will most likely be overpaid given the contract and on a bad or cash strapped team. That should narrow some choices down.

I cannot see it being used for any wing or 2 guard given the talent the Raptors already possess and/or are looking to develop. This would take away high salary players AI, Kevin Martin, Rip Hamilton.

A big man in Josh SMith, Biendris, Nene or Kaman? Not necessarily supporting acquisition of either - just throwing it out there.

Smaller contracts in the $5-6M range with a few years left that see draft picks coming back to TOR are also possibilities.

The amount of flexibility the TPE provides is endless when it comes to facilitating trades. It is a matter of what is out there. I wish I was a GM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't it be hilarious if T.O. used the trade exception in a multi-team deal to facilitate Bosh being shipped out of Miami? That would be instant karma right there. I wouldn't even care what we got back in that case.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Colangelo is going to go after Nash, he is obsessed about getting certain players (especially those he acquired in Pheonix).

Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcqe9UXkc8o

reminds me of monta ellis

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Colangelo is going to go after Nash, he is obsessed about getting certain players (especially those he acquired in Pheonix).
    There is no way that is happening. We are most likely going to draft a PG with our first round pick this season.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

With so many mediocre teams this season it would make sense to wait and see what teams that were expected to be playoff teams flop, if any are close/over the cap then use the TPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    It is important to remember that if the TPE is not used fully or expires (although it would appear $2.2M of it is being used for the Peja trade) it only becomes unused cap space next summer.
    The $2.2M was a different TPE. Pretty sure you can't split up a TPE and use it in multiple trades.

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    A big man in Josh SMith, Biendris, Nene or Kaman? Not necessarily supporting acquisition of either - just throwing it out there.
    Sign me up for Chris Kaman.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The $2.2M was a different TPE. Pretty sure you can't split up a TPE and use it in multiple trades.
    I think you can split up a TPE, you just can't use it in conjunction with another player. For example, using the TPE with Reggie Evans to acquire Gilbert Arenas is illegal. However, using the TPE to acquire Jordan hill, and then using it again to acquire hakim warrick, is legal so long as there's enough TPE to absorb the contract $s.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You can slice and dice a TPE as many different ways you please as long as:
    1) the total contract can be absorbed the TPE
    2) the total amount of the contract(s) does not exceed the value of hte TPE

The only other TPE the Raptors had was from the Turk trade which they used for David Andersen.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

The TPE used for the trade was not the Bosh TPE. I forgot which other trade, I think Andersen or even earlier but we got a couple million in TPE before Bosh left, so all of our $14.5M TPE is still with us.

Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would really like to know the end goal of Colangelo's "retooling" and what his intended strategies are. Obviously he can't reveal too much, but he is so damn cryptic. He only mentions that he wants to develop the young talent and acquire future assets. As I am reading more about the recent trade, and seeing how much financial flexibility we have, I can't imagine how everything will play-out, especially with a possible lock-out. Its going to be interesting for sure.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hassan wrote: View Post
    this dude can fly!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

^ forget all those high school highlights he had a mosnter game last year on TNT where he LIT up Steve Gnash...i think he went for like 28 and 8 and hit about 5-6 bog shots in the last 5 mins of the game....Dude def has potential if hew can get some time...

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe we only have the Bosh TPE and a part of it WAS used to absorb Bayless' contract because he could not be traded in a package before Dec 23 (since he was acquired by NOH via trade) per CBA rules, the Bosh TPE roughly stands at about $12.5 million or so now

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

If they're going to use it, my guess would be in a deal for a potentially very high draft pick and an albatross contract. Something like Brand + 1st rnd pick or Arenas + 1st rnd pick. If Colangelo uses it and/or Peja's expiring deal to bring in some talent and scrap the rebuilding phase then personally I'm done as a raptors fan until he's canned.

The good news is that it looks like BC is following the path set by Portland and OKC: stack young talent, expiring deals and picks, regardless of where and how they might fit on the roster. From there, you figure out who you want to keep and you flip the rest for more youth and picks, repeat until you've got a roster you like.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think he'll use it unless he's blown away by the offer, and it makes the Raptors contenders right now. So he would have to get a top 25 player still relatively young. I don't think that's going to happen, so I think it will eventually expire. At least that's what I see based on the Jack/Bayless trade.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

The TPE and expiring contract are eeriely somewhat similar. BC can cancel out/make neutral the effect on total salary exp. thru an acquisition using the TPE by not using the savings from Peja's contract (instead use some of it for say Weem's extension).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information