Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is The Peja Trade A Sign Of The Raptors Not Using The Large TPE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is The Peja Trade A Sign Of The Raptors Not Using The Large TPE?

If the Raptors are acquiring Peja it can only be for one reason, cutting cap. If they're looking to cut cap then using the TPE could be counter productive to their goals/game plan. Do you feel they're still going to use the TPE and if yes what sort of deal do you feel they will be looking for?
    Yes
    80.77%
    No
    19.23%

just look for any overpaid players who are way past their prime and have bad attitudes...

(j.o., hedo, ford)

bc's typical acquisitions...

Comment

I have a feeling BC will hang on to it for a while until some other things shake out... that said, if something amazing comes up he could jump at any time. Not using the TPE would piss a lot of people off because that was supposed to be the big asset coming back for Bosh.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        If the Raptors are acquiring Peja it can only be for one reason, cutting cap. If they're looking to cut cap then using the TPE could be counter productive to their goals/game plan. Do you feel they're still going to use the TPE and if yes what sort of deal do you feel they will be looking for?
        I think it will depend on the type of deal offered or pursued.

It is important to remember that if the TPE is not used fully or expires (although it would appear $2.2M of it is being used for the Peja trade) it only becomes unused cap space next summer.

Whoever the TPE is used on will most likely be overpaid given the contract and on a bad or cash strapped team. That should narrow some choices down.

I cannot see it being used for any wing or 2 guard given the talent the Raptors already possess and/or are looking to develop. This would take away high salary players AI, Kevin Martin, Rip Hamilton.

A big man in Josh SMith, Biendris, Nene or Kaman? Not necessarily supporting acquisition of either - just throwing it out there.

Smaller contracts in the $5-6M range with a few years left that see draft picks coming back to TOR are also possibilities.

The amount of flexibility the TPE provides is endless when it comes to facilitating trades. It is a matter of what is out there. I wish I was a GM.

Comment

Wouldn't it be hilarious if T.O. used the trade exception in a multi-team deal to facilitate Bosh being shipped out of Miami? That would be instant karma right there. I wouldn't even care what we got back in that case.

Comment

Colangelo is going to go after Nash, he is obsessed about getting certain players (especially those he acquired in Pheonix).

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcqe9UXkc8o

reminds me of monta ellis
              ya dun noe

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                Colangelo is going to go after Nash, he is obsessed about getting certain players (especially those he acquired in Pheonix).
                There is no way that is happening. We are most likely going to draft a PG with our first round pick this season.

Comment

With so many mediocre teams this season it would make sense to wait and see what teams that were expected to be playoff teams flop, if any are close/over the cap then use the TPE.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    It is important to remember that if the TPE is not used fully or expires (although it would appear $2.2M of it is being used for the Peja trade) it only becomes unused cap space next summer.
                    The $2.2M was a different TPE. Pretty sure you can't split up a TPE and use it in multiple trades.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    A big man in Josh SMith, Biendris, Nene or Kaman? Not necessarily supporting acquisition of either - just throwing it out there.
                    Sign me up for Chris Kaman.

Comment

The $2.2M was a different TPE. Pretty sure you can't split up a TPE and use it in multiple trades.
                      I think you can split up a TPE, you just can't use it in conjunction with another player. For example, using the TPE with Reggie Evans to acquire Gilbert Arenas is illegal. However, using the TPE to acquire Jordan hill, and then using it again to acquire hakim warrick, is legal so long as there's enough TPE to absorb the contract $s.

Comment

You can slice and dice a TPE as many different ways you please as long as:
                        1) the total contract can be absorbed the TPE
                        2) the total amount of the contract(s) does not exceed the value of hte TPE

The only other TPE the Raptors had was from the Turk trade which they used for David Andersen.

Comment

The TPE used for the trade was not the Bosh TPE. I forgot which other trade, I think Andersen or even earlier but we got a couple million in TPE before Bosh left, so all of our $14.5M TPE is still with us.

Comment

I would really like to know the end goal of Colangelo's "retooling" and what his intended strategies are. Obviously he can't reveal too much, but he is so damn cryptic. He only mentions that he wants to develop the young talent and acquire future assets. As I am reading more about the recent trade, and seeing how much financial flexibility we have, I can't imagine how everything will play-out, especially with a possible lock-out. Its going to be interesting for sure.
                            Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
                              this dude can fly!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X