Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is The Peja Trade A Sign Of The Raptors Not Using The Large TPE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ forget all those high school highlights he had a mosnter game last year on TNT where he LIT up Steve Gnash...i think he went for like 28 and 8 and hit about 5-6 bog shots in the last 5 mins of the game....Dude def has potential if hew can get some time...

Comment

I believe we only have the Bosh TPE and a part of it WAS used to absorb Bayless' contract because he could not be traded in a package before Dec 23 (since he was acquired by NOH via trade) per CBA rules, the Bosh TPE roughly stands at about $12.5 million or so now

Comment

If they're going to use it, my guess would be in a deal for a potentially very high draft pick and an albatross contract. Something like Brand + 1st rnd pick or Arenas + 1st rnd pick. If Colangelo uses it and/or Peja's expiring deal to bring in some talent and scrap the rebuilding phase then personally I'm done as a raptors fan until he's canned.

The good news is that it looks like BC is following the path set by Portland and OKC: stack young talent, expiring deals and picks, regardless of where and how they might fit on the roster. From there, you figure out who you want to keep and you flip the rest for more youth and picks, repeat until you've got a roster you like.

Comment

I don't think he'll use it unless he's blown away by the offer, and it makes the Raptors contenders right now. So he would have to get a top 25 player still relatively young. I don't think that's going to happen, so I think it will eventually expire. At least that's what I see based on the Jack/Bayless trade.

Comment

The TPE and expiring contract are eeriely somewhat similar. BC can cancel out/make neutral the effect on total salary exp. thru an acquisition using the TPE by not using the savings from Peja's contract (instead use some of it for say Weem's extension).

Comment

Matt52 is right; JoePanini is wrong; JabberWocky is on the right track but with incorrect reasoning. $2.3 mil of the $14.5 mil Bosh TPE was used to absorb Bayless not because he couldn't be traded as part of a package, but because one or both teams didn't want to add another contract to the deal. For instance, David Andersen could have been traded straight-up for Bayless without affecting our Bosh TPE, but then we'd have to add another David Andersen or larger salary to take on Stojakovic (e.g. Evans).

@Apollo: "If the Raptors are acquiring Peja it can only be for one reason, cutting cap."

Only one reason? Really? Why limit yourself? The $14.5 mil TPE meant the max possible salary we could absorb outright was $14.5 mil. Whether Bayless was the reason or the bonus for the trade, acquiring Stojakovic's salary gives us a different kind of flexibility, albeit with a more immediate deadline.

At the slight risk of losing out on a $12.3-$14.5 mil player because his team wants immediate cap/tax relief, we can now more easily obtain a player whose salary is in the $14.5-~$19 mil range. A completely expiring offer of Evans+Banks+Andersen would only net us a player on the lower end of that range, and Evans+Banks+Jack would require the receiving team to take on a non-expiring contract. And don't forget, you can't accept a 1 for 3 trade and then waive Evans and Banks to make the 15 player roster limit; the receiving team would have to first shave down to 13 players, or barring that, find a 3rd team willing to take on the additional bodies. Not difficult perhaps, but yet another obstacle to getting a deal done.

Why limit ourselves to a single albatross deal? We could even trade Stojakovic (and filler if necessary) to take on two deals each worth about $10 mil, while using the $12.2 mil TPE to take on yet more salary, without needing to convince anyone to take on a long-term contract like Calderon's, while perhaps receiving first round picks or prospects to help teams dump salary. Golden State goes on a 20 game losing streak? Perhaps they'd be interested in a fire sale, taking on the expirings of Stojakvoic and Evans for Ellis and Biedrins. Yes, maybe a bit unreasonable, but it's two players I keep seeing Raptors fans drool over, and if it takes Miami's 1st rounder to make it work, so be it (tongue in cheek)!

Either way, it's an improvement in terms of what the Raptors can offer in trade (without dealing the likes of DeRozan, Weems, Johnson, Davis and now Bayless). Now, we just need a couple teams with potentially undesirable contracts to have bad seasons.

Comment

I really thought we should of got al jefferson with the TPE
                ya dun noe

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                  Matt52 is right; JoePanini is wrong; JabberWocky is on the right track but with incorrect reasoning. $2.3 mil of the $14.5 mil Bosh TPE was used to absorb Bayless not because he couldn't be traded as part of a package, but because one or both teams didn't want to add another contract to the deal. For instance, David Andersen could have been traded straight-up for Bayless without affecting our Bosh TPE, but then we'd have to add another David Andersen or larger salary to take on Stojakovic (e.g. Evans).

@Apollo: "If the Raptors are acquiring Peja it can only be for one reason, cutting cap."

Only one reason? Really? Why limit yourself? The $14.5 mil TPE meant the max possible salary we could absorb outright was $14.5 mil. Whether Bayless was the reason or the bonus for the trade, acquiring Stojakovic's salary gives us a different kind of flexibility, albeit with a more immediate deadline.

At the slight risk of losing out on a $12.3-$14.5 mil player because his team wants immediate cap/tax relief, we can now more easily obtain a player whose salary is in the $14.5-~$19 mil range. A completely expiring offer of Evans+Banks+Andersen would only net us a player on the lower end of that range, and Evans+Banks+Jack would require the receiving team to take on a non-expiring contract. And don't forget, you can't accept a 1 for 3 trade and then waive Evans and Banks to make the 15 player roster limit; the receiving team would have to first shave down to 13 players, or barring that, find a 3rd team willing to take on the additional bodies. Not difficult perhaps, but yet another obstacle to getting a deal done.

Why limit ourselves to a single albatross deal? We could even trade Stojakovic (and filler if necessary) to take on two deals each worth about $10 mil, while using the $12.2 mil TPE to take on yet more salary, without needing to convince anyone to take on a long-term contract like Calderon's, while perhaps receiving first round picks or prospects to help teams dump salary. Golden State goes on a 20 game losing streak? Perhaps they'd be interested in a fire sale, taking on the expirings of Stojakvoic and Evans for Ellis and Biedrins. Yes, maybe a bit unreasonable, but it's two players I keep seeing Raptors fans drool over, and if it takes Miami's 1st rounder to make it work, so be it (tongue in cheek)!

Either way, it's an improvement in terms of what the Raptors can offer in trade (without dealing the likes of DeRozan, Weems, Johnson, Davis and now Bayless). Now, we just need a couple teams with potentially undesirable contracts to have bad seasons.
                  Yeah sorry, got the wrong info there. Thanks for correcting me

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post

Yeah sorry, got the wrong info there. Thanks for correcting me

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      The $2.2M was a different TPE. Pretty sure you can't split up a TPE and use it in multiple trades.

Sign me up for Chris Kaman.
                      Me too. Hopefully this most recent injury doesnt turn him injury prone.
                      I wont mind Tyson Chandler either. He's a FA next season.

Comment

Working...
                      X