Raptors Salary 2011-2012 = 50 Million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I think a player under contract can still play in Europe during a lockout. I remember some talk about some players thinking about playing in Europe during the last lockout, but no one did. The problem is that a European team is putting a pretty big investment in a foreign player if they sign him, because they're only allowed two (I believe). Who is going to sign an NBA player when they have no idea how long they'll be with the team. It could be a month or all season. I think some subpar teams might want to sign and NBA player, but the good teams probably would rather not.
    An NBA player who has an NBA contract during the lock-out will not be allowed to go Europe.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
      Maybe but given the new CBA and chance of Lock out and his age and his health, I actually see him stay put and cash out on that 7.6 million and then see what the market is like.
      He was in a VERY similar position to Jefferson. And considering his age and health, I think it's smarter to try and get a long term contract this summer rather than next summer. Of course it all depends on whether he has a good year and doesn't get surgery at the end of it. If he decides to get surgery after the end of the season, it's doubtful he'd opt out.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
        An NBA player who has an NBA contract during the lock-out will not be allowed to go Europe.
        Are you sure about that? Where did you hear that?
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Are you sure about that? Where did you hear that?
          On ESPN rumors.

Brandon Jennings played in Italy during the 2008-09 season before he entered the 2009 NBA draft. Jennings may be willing to go back if there is a lockout next season, but apparently that is not an option for him, or any other player who is under contract for the 2011-12 season with an NBA team.

"If they're under contract, they can't do anything," Larry Coon told HOOPSWORLD. "Let's say a player is under contract and he wants to go to Europe. They need to get a FIBA letter of clearance in order to sign and they won't be able to if they're signed to the NBA. Anyone who is under contract basically has to just sit there."

-- Nick Borges

link

Comment

If there is a lock-out, it will be mega-ganja-stripper fest for the players. They might still go to Europe even if they don't play - to Amsterdam that is.
            Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
              If there is a lock-out, it will be mega-ganja-stripper fest for the players. They might still go to Europe even if they don't play - to Amsterdam that is.
              I don't want to be the "party pooper" but I think that would violate the contract terms

Comment

I think a "party pooper" is called a Cleveland steamer.
                Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Not where I wanted to go

Comment

Not sure where you got that number, but I've read it's lower than that. And Barbosa has a player option that, if he has a good year, he will probably not exercise.

As for the cap, we have no idea how much under the cap they will be since we don't know what the cap will be next season, or if there will be a next season.
                    it's actually over $50 million counting the 2 1st round picks..

you think there's a chance in hell barbosa isnt going to exercise his $7.5 million player option ?

Comment

Not sure where you got that number, but I've read it's lower than that. And Barbosa has a player option that, if he has a good year, he will probably not exercise.

As for the cap, we have no idea how much under the cap they will be since we don't know what the cap will be next season, or if there will be a next season.
                      that's not counting barbosa... and again you think someone is going to be offering this guy over 7.5 mill ? he'd be insane not to exercise the P/O

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Wanted to point out you are yet again wrong. The Raps are looking at a payroll of $45.1M next year.

These are the players under contract for next year: Calderon, Bargnani, Amir, Linas, DD, Davis, Bayless, and Alabi.

Restricted free agents: Weems, Dorsey, Wright

Player option of $7.6 for Barbosa which, if he opts OUT, would bring the payroll down to $37.5M.

Of course this is all based on current CBA. Next year nobody knows what the cap will be.

This is a classic example of your typical comments that have no fact.

Let me get this out of the way for you: I know I'm a douchebag and I love BC's man-bits.
                        check out hoopshype and tell me why they have the salary at $50 million... and for next year add weems, and 2 1st round picks and it's closer to 60 mil.

what's up matt ?? and my basketball iq is lower than 70 ??
                        Last edited by Legalize-It; Mon Nov 22, 2010, 08:16 PM.

Comment

best.

post.

ever.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                            You think Barbosa is going to get more than 7.6 million from anyone in the NBA !!

We are committed about 45 million next year without Weems and Julian Wright !! Assuming that we give Weems a 5 million and pick up the Qualifying offer on Wright for 4 million, then we sit on 54 million next year. Add to that the 2 first rounders that we have for next year and that will push us close to 60 unless BC trade our first round draft picks

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9165
                            hey someone with some addition skills !! can you please explain how numbers add up to matt52 ?

Comment

EVeryone was surprised when Richard Jefferson opted out of his contract. He is making quite a bit less this season, but he's more secure over the long term. It wasn't even about changing teams, as he obviously stayed. Barbosa will turn 29 next season and he knows as well as anyone that you can't bank on being healthy all the time. If he has a decent season, I think he'll strike while the iron is hot. It simply make good, long term sense.
                              yea, everyone was surprised cuz it happens so rarely that an overpaid player opts out...

and either way, if he opts out and signs a longer term deal with the same team (like RJ), that would increase our salaries even more...

Comment

It was the smart thing for Jefferson to do. Instead of collecting 14 mil for one season, he opted out at a much cap friendly salary and in the long run gets more security and money.

Barbosa can opt out and if he does, he probably won't get a new contract from us.

Comment

Working...
                                X