Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We need to stop focusing in on one player for the draft!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need to stop focusing in on one player for the draft!!

I keep reading how people are looking at next year and penciling Kyrie Irving as the teams point guard or Harrison Barnes as a forward. The thing is we have no idea who will come out with the potential lock-out or where we will pick. Right now we would be picking 8th or 9th, no way Irving or Barnes are still on the board at that time.

We are in good shaper going forward, we have some solid pieces and room to make some moves, lets not set ourselves up for disappointment by aiming for a top 3 pick impact player that may never come our way, if we get one great, if not we will still be moving in the right direction.

Enjoy what we have right now (as best we can) and wait for what comes next, don't force it.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

It's just a bit of fun to look at next seasons draft picks and fantasize about the raptors claiming them. We won't know any facts about this seasons draft for a couple months anyway so everything right now is just fun conjecture. The way things have gone over the last three games, I'm not even confident we're a lottery team anymore .
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

If people enjoy trying to project who the Raptors will draft, where's the harm. It aways bothered me when Doug Smith would insult people for consulting the mock drafts and trying to figure out who would be drafted where. I mean, it's all a game, anyway. Is cheering on a bunch of millionaires you have almost nothing in common with playing a game any less of a waste of time than trying to figure out who is going to be drafted where? Really, it's all pointless, anyway. But it's fun and that's why we do it.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I like to look at mock drafts, and, as the season winds down I focus in on players projected in the Raptors pick range. What I am missing is the fun of giving us a top 3 prospect when it is not looking like we will be picking that high. The draft is not our savior and that is where many people seem to be putting the teams future, hell I would love to pick near the top, but I can't write this season off and start falling in love with a certain player or two.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Yah! everyone stop hoping to get barnes or irving and start looking at players nore in the 8th and 9th range! like Brandon Knight for example lol

Comment

barnes is off to a rough start.

Comment

I wish people would put off putting up their f'n Christmas lights/decorations and playing friggin Christmas music until at least December, but that ain't going to happen either.
              Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

BTW, I like Irving
                Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

If your talking about the draft, then your watching basketball for all the wrong reasons.

Comment

Nick wrote: View Post
                    If your talking about the draft, then your watching basketball for all the wrong reasons.
                    I watch basketball because I love the game. I've loved the game long before the Raptors existed and I've played it for longer than a lot of guys here have been alive.

What I don't like is people inferring things simply because they have a different opinion. You don't like discussing the draft. Fine. DOn't do it. But don't say people watch basketball for the wrong reasons if they do. It's not only disrespectful, it's insulting.

And by the way, it's "you're" not "your". If you're going to insult someone, then try and use correct grammar while you're doing it.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I follow the draft board all year long. I keep up with all the top players, I even pick my favorites, but i don't like to photoshop a Raptor's uniform on them and anoint them our savior before we even know who will declare and where we will pick.

I guess what I wanted was for everyone to get behind the group we have right now and not worry about the off-season just yet.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF has a good point. We don't even know who will go into the draft, if people will stay at school a year longer with the new CBA. Too much onthe table. People could play worse than they are projected and people could play better. Look at the young kid in Utah who wasn't even on the board at this time last year. He took BUtler to the big game and almost won it for them. There could be others like him. There's a point guard playing for BYU right now who is averaging 20+ points a game and I don't know how many assists. he' projected at 25th pick right now, maybe his stock goes up if he keeps playing this way. Who knows.

It is fun to talk about, but maybe we shouldn't convince ourselves that we are getting anything or anyone.

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
                          WJF has a good point. We don't even know who will go into the draft, if people will stay at school a year longer with the new CBA. Too much onthe table. People could play worse than they are projected and people could play better. Look at the young kid in Utah who wasn't even on the board at this time last year. He took BUtler to the big game and almost won it for them. There could be others like him. There's a point guard playing for BYU right now who is averaging 20+ points a game and I don't know how many assists. he' projected at 25th pick right now, maybe his stock goes up if he keeps playing this way. Who knows.

It is fun to talk about, but maybe we shouldn't convince ourselves that we are getting anything or anyone.
                          Jimmer Fredette could be a sleeper type pick, pegged as being a little too slow to be a legit NBA PG he brings so much to the table not to take a chance on him. I follow these guys and if he is still on the board when Toronto has a pick in the late first/early second round I will be looking to see if we pick him....but I do not have him signed as our back-up PG yet.
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

It is quite possible that the Raptors could get a top 3-4 pick (not #1) without finishing with a shite record. They have their own 1st round pick, MIA's, about $13M in cap space after the season, and $12.2M of TPE left to use. They could easily parlay those assets for a higher draft pick much like Minny did a few years ago getting the #5 from WSH.

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                              Yah! everyone stop hoping to get barnes or irving and start looking at players nore in the 8th and 9th range! like Brandon Knight for example lol
                              that wouldn't be bad at all
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                              X