No announcement yet.

BC still has to make one more trade: Kleiza or Barbosa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully Peja and the TPE stay put and expire.

Looking into next year we have $40M of guaranteed contracts with another $5M in qualifying offers that I think we should withdraw. We are currently around 2-3 players away from making the playoffs, so trading either of the above to bring in more salary makes absolutely no sense.

Simply put, a 25-30 win team should not have a payroll of $66M.

If we can, I'd try to trade both Barbosa and Calderon for more expiring contracts. I'd withdraw qualifying offer to Julian Wright and wait and see with Sonny Weems to see what people are offering him.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

Why is everyone so cock sure that Reggie won't be re-signed? Even if he is traded before the deadline, why wouldn't the Raps be interested in signing him to a decent, say, two-year contract? Davis will need a couple years' seasoning, and Reggie coming off the bench with his hustle and fierce rebounding would be a very valuable commodity. Or am I missing something here?

Comment

LeeZ wrote: View Post
        Why is everyone so cock sure that Reggie won't be re-signed? Even if he is traded before the deadline, why wouldn't the Raps be interested in signing him to a decent, say, two-year contract? Davis will need a couple years' seasoning, and Reggie coming off the bench with his hustle and fierce rebounding would be a very valuable commodity. Or am I missing something here?
        We have 2 power forwards already, add to that Dorsey and that's 3. Re-sign Reggie and we have 4. That's a bit too much. Amir and Ed are enough.
        And I would sign him to 1 year, vet minimum.

Comment

I doubt that either will get moved this season.

However, depending on a whole bunch of things including what the new CBA will look like the Raptors may or may not resign Barbosa
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Let Barbosa have season ending surgery. This will address the logjam at the wing positions.I really love the speed he brings to the team. A healthy Barbosa is 6th man material waiting to happen (I know, he already won it).
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

i dont think barbosa, kleiza or evans will be moved soon. well maybe evans has a teeny, tiny chance. but i still doubt it.
              BC is very, very high on Barbo and Kleiza. Plus we need both of them.
              Barbosa maybe the only one in the Raps lineup who can break his man off the dribble and create easy baskets for the bigs on a drop pass (i think if he dropped to Amir instead of taking the shot that would have been an and1 during the celtics game)
              Although Kleiza may not be the best post up player there is, contrary to what BC said, he maybe the only willing and able post up player we have on the team.
              And evans has been a really vocal presence in the locker room and he backs it up, unlike jack whos been all bark. i saw the arena link with sonny after the philly game and he said evans has been the locker room leader and the players are looking up to him. i dont think BC will want to disrupt that now.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                i dont think barbosa, kleiza or evans will be moved soon. well maybe evans has a teeny, tiny chance. but i still doubt it.
                BC is very, very high on Barbo and Kleiza. Plus we need both of them.
                Barbosa maybe the only one in the Raps lineup who can break his man off the dribble and create easy baskets for the bigs on a drop pass (i think if he dropped to Amir instead of taking the shot that would have been an and1 during the celtics game)
                Although Kleiza may not be the best post up player there is, contrary to what BC said, he maybe the only willing and able post up player we have on the team.
                And evans has been a really vocal presence in the locker room and he backs it up, unlike jack whos been all bark. i saw the arena link with sonny after the philly game and he said evans has been the locker room leader and the players are looking up to him. i dont think BC will want to disrupt that now.
                Evans playing time starting sometime in December will be determined by

1. Davis' play
                2. The game by game count on the "Foul Machine Meter"
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I'm against trading Reggie, not while he's playing like that and motivating everybody. At the very least BC should offer him less money and sign him back. If he opts for more money and leaves, so be it. I'd rather trade Leandro/Jose/Peja/TPE for a legit starting PG. Ed and Amir would need some more mentoring and Reggie is in the perfect place to do that- leading by example, as well as in the locker room. But truthfully, I don't see either LB, or Kleiza being traded anytime soon.

Comment

I don't think Colangelo NEEDS to trade either - Kleiza is cheap and can play the 3 and 4. I'd keep him around. Barbosa is full of energy - if Bayless and him are a backcourt pairing, they're going to break a lot of ankles with their speed, but then again, neither of them are gonna want to pass the rock. But, if I had a gun to my head and was told to choose which one would be traded first, I'd say Barbosa simply because he COULD opt out at the end of the season, and could be parlayed into something else.

Comment

But in my mind, I think Evans will be the next one to go. Colangelo has a lot of chips at his disposal - 12.2 of the TPE, Evans, Stojakovic, Barbosa. That's a lot of money.

Comment

Ruuuuu wrote: View Post
                        I think ideally you want 3 wings, and 2 pg.

If DD\weems\kleiza are your wings (SG and SF)

Then that leaves Jose\Bayless\Barbosa for PG....which is too much

There's one too many players in that mix IMO.
                        You're basically saying 8 players, which would be a minimum sized rotation, but it also means if there was any injuries, the team would be screwed. Ideally, you want a backup at every single position, and then maybe a 3rd PG and 3rd C.

And with the Raptors, the idea is to have as many assets as possible, which means a lot of depth. The Raptors don't have anyone that should probably average much more than 30 mpg, so there's plenty of minutes available for a 9 or 10 man rotation.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                          We have 2 power forwards already, add to that Dorsey and that's 3. Re-sign Reggie and we have 4. That's a bit too much. Amir and Ed are enough.
                          And I would sign him to 1 year, vet minimum.
                          Dorsey will be gone after this year, for SURE. And I actually don't think the vet minimum would get it done -- not that I'm saying we should pay more than, say, 2 mill.

Comment

LeeZ wrote: View Post
                            Dorsey will be gone after this year, for SURE. And I actually don't think the vet minimum would get it done -- not that I'm saying we should pay more than, say, 2 mill.
                            I don't think a guy who shoots under 30% from the field is going to get much more than the veteran's minimum, no matter how many rebounds he gets. Reggie is a 8th or 9th man, at best, on a good team. That's the veteran's minimum. Besides, you do know that's well over a million for a guy with Reggie's experience. That's not bad.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Keep Barbosa, package Derozan and Kleiza and try and get another big center or another pg

Comment

Out of Kleiza and Barbosa, I would say Barbosa.

It will be interesting to see how Bayless pans out. BC obviously has a template for building a team - a team without Bosh that is. Bayless could be the next Barbosa in Colangelo's point of view. IT would appear so as both are neither PG or SG and both are blazing fast.

I think a team looking for a chance to win would bring in Barbosa. His contract is short term - especially if he opted out.

The only issue with trading Barbosa now is his wrist.

I like Barbosa though and would like to see him stay but if they could get a good young player in return or pick up some more 1st round draft picks - see you Barbosa! If he opted out, and they really wanted him, they could look to sign him again in the offseason.

Kleiza is a relatively cheap, an above average player off the bench who can play 3 or 4, post up, shoot the 3 and is only 25.

Comment

Working...
                                X