Reggie Reggie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DunkinDerozan wrote: View Post
    After watching the first 15 games or so I think Reggie should be in Toronto's future plans and should perhaps look into signing him to a contract extention. It's clear he dedicated himself this summer and the results have showed he is a monster and other teams fear the beast.!!
    I would sign him to 3-4 yrs, by that time Ed Davis should be ready to start.
    First off, I'm not a Reggie hater. Second, I respect everyone's opinions in this forum. However, the suggestion to sign Reggie to a multi-year contract is bordering on lunacy. All that BC is doing right now is using Reggie for what he is good at (while justifying his 5 Mil salary). He is also using Reggie for showcasing purposes. I know that he has hustle and heart and it is rubbing off on this young team. All is great until defence and offense is concerned. For eight consecutive games or so, Reggie is in the negative double digits as far as (+/- stats are concerned). Reggie masks his weak defense with ferocious rebounding. He doesn't want to foul as much because he wants to stay in the game and get some more rebounds (unlike Amir where he has to foul even if it costs him the game). I blame part of Amir foul patterns because he wants to help so badly in help defenses. All his fouls are not entirely his fault.

Allow me to illustrate a situation yesterday about Reggie's aggressiveness. First off, he was -14 yesterday (this stat matters no matter how you cut it. It doesn't matter if you have Jose or Bargs in the same lineup. Bargs was +2 yesterday). In this example, Reggie and Jose were after a rebound. Clearly, the ball was in Jose's hands, but Reggie wanted the rebound. The ball was jarred loose and the Celts recover to hand it over to Allen for a game tying 3 (94-94). I know that this was a small sample size but this is what I'm talking about. On a normal team, Reggie has no business starting. Playing 4 against 5 on offense is not a way to win games. From an offensive standpoint, were 17th down from 4th last year (I know it's early). I know that we also need to address defense but at double digits in the minus category, it is clear that Reggie's rebounds are overrated. Let me ask you guys a question, what is the difference between him and Dorsey? Let Dorsey start and it will be the same!

BC is merely showcasing Reggie since the beginning. He is a good guy and an emotional component of this team. We traded our "leader" (Captain Jack) because he's killing the offensive flow and turnovers - and won the game yesterday shorthanded against the defending Eastern Champs! Soon, we can trade our emotional "leader" for some pieces that we actually need. If he goes tomorrow and Dorsey plays more (Amir starts of course), what do we give up? If we trade Jack by cutting our TO's by a third, wouldn't it be better if we trade Reggie (while he still has value) and move our offensive efficiency from 17th to 4th? Isn't that worth a look?

PS> Love is leading the league in all rebounding categories but Minny is just as terrible. The team's point allowed is one of the worst in the league. I'm not saying that rebounding is not important, it's just over-rated as an individual stat. Here's the kicker, Love can score!!!
    Last edited by Balls of Steel; Mon Nov 22, 2010, 11:08 AM.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I like the idea of keeping him, if possible...

Comment

BC can get a lot more for $5 million a year than Reggie.

The Raptors have Davis, Kleiza and that other guy locked into long term contracts. All play the PF none of whom are making more than $5 million this season. BC or Triano, sorry I can't remember which one stated in the trade presser that they are already planning to give Kleiza more time at the PF slot this season given the Raptors glut of wing players.

Given what we know at this point I can see the Raptors possibly signing Evans this coming summer for the Veterans Exemption for a season or two if there still is a VE come the next CBA provided that they can't or choose not to resign Dorsey or can't move Evans before the trade deadline for a better player making $5 million or less or possibly a draft choice or two.

To me given the current roster makeup it will come down to either Dorsey or Reggie or possibly neither come next season.

I am not so sure that Evans is the toughest Raptors player. Dirtiest yes, toughest I am not so sure.

A lot of fans tend to confuse tough and dirty when it comes to players. Someone can be tough without being a dirty player and someone can be a dirty player without being tough.

Just because a player is prone to grab the crotch of an opponent during a game doesn't make him tough

P.S. The Raptors defense gives up a lot more points in the paint when Reggie is in there than when the "Foul Machine" is playing in his place. So who is tougher. The guy who lets opponents walk for easy layups untouched or the guy who will knock an opponent on their ass, depending on the game situation?
        Last edited by Buddahfan; Mon Nov 22, 2010, 11:50 AM.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
          DunkinDerozan,
          im gonna say this very nicely...
          Based on the your posts and forums so far during your brief time as a member it is very evident that you dont have much of a basketball IQ. No offense, and i know this will sound rude but jsut because you think something; doesnt mean you should say it aloud. Again, no offense but forums like these are a waste. sorry
          Ps reggie will be gone by the dead line IMO. if not then signed to a 1 year vet min
          Your a dipshit who says that? Its one thing to have a differing opinion, but its another to call somebody dumb, especially when your completely wrong. Reggie has brought a toughness to this team that we have been seriously lacking over the last couple years. If we didn't have Reggie I doubt we would have any wins. Your a moron.

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
            DunkinDerozan,
            im gonna say this very nicely...
            Based on the your posts and forums so far during your brief time as a member it is very evident that you dont have much of a basketball IQ. No offense, and i know this will sound rude but jsut because you think something; doesnt mean you should say it aloud. Again, no offense but forums like these are a waste. sorry
            Ps reggie will be gone by the dead line IMO. if not then signed to a 1 year vet min

Wow whats your interpertation of nicely... Me having low basketball IQ, me speakig out loud my formus are a waste of time ... or your last line which completly disagrees with my idea loll.

Well let me say this either you just started watching the Rapotrs this year or your just completly ignorant to the fact the Raptors have been near the bottom in Rebounding for the last 5 years or so. Hopefully your in the former category otherwise, Im am kind of shocked that you can call me out on this statement. Buy yourself some Raptors Games Video from the previous 5 years and then look up how not to rebound 101... both should be crossed referenced...

And then Your face should be planted on the Raptors 2005-2010 Games video cover..
            Last edited by DunkinDerozan; Mon Nov 22, 2010, 03:27 PM.

Comment

DunkinDerozan wrote: View Post
              Wow whats your interpertation of nicely... Me having low basketball IQ, me speakig out loud my formus are a waste of time ... or your last line which completly disagrees with my idea loll.

Well let me say this either you just started watching the Rapotrs this year or your just completly ignorant to the fact the Raptors have been near the bottom in Rebounding for the last 5 years or so. Hopefully your in the former category otherwise, Im am kind of shocked that you can call me out on this statement. Buy yourself some Raptors Games Video from the previous 5 years and then look of how not to rebound 101... both should be crossed referenced...

And then Your face should be planted on the Raptors 2005-2010 Games video cover..
              lol

Oh god, that made me so happy.

Interesting post. Everyone i talk to seems to think that reggie is not in our future. I think that it is a tough question to answer right now.We have not seen ed davis play yet, and i think that will be the deciding factor. We should wait until after the trade deadline because he is very valuable. Anything could happen. I personally love his style of play, and i know i will get some hate for this, but, he has won games for us. We out rebounded boston. If i had told you that 3 years ago you would have called me a lier.

I would not offer him over 2 years. My opinion.

Good post
              Last edited by Red and White; Mon Nov 22, 2010, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Reggie serves the same purpose as an enforcer in hockey. He hurts your offence, leaving you to play 4 against 5, and he's not going to score unless the puck bounces in accidentally off his butt. But what he does do is give every guy on the team that little bit of extra courage they normally wouldn't have, allowing them to play without fear and even with aggression. I think we all saw yesterday, that for the first time in years the Raps weren't afraid of the C**tics. And the C's didn't even think about trying any funny stuff - even Shaq. Players in the L know that Reggie's crazier and tougher than Garnett and Artest combined and nobody wants to take the chance. The only other guy on the team who could handle the enforcer role is Dorsey, who we should be grooming to take over from Reggie eventually.

Comment

I was so waiting for Buddha on this one. haha

At the most a 1 year deal for him if he's actually here at the end of the year. I love him he's getting older and guys like Davis and Amir will be one year better(and maybe even Alabi).
                  Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                    Reggie serves the same purpose as an enforcer in hockey. He hurts your offence, leaving you to play 4 against 5, and he's not going to score unless the puck bounces in accidentally off his butt. But what he does do is give every guy on the team that little bit of extra courage they normally wouldn't have, allowing them to play without fear and even with aggression. I think we all saw yesterday, that for the first time in years the Raps weren't afraid of the C**tics. And the C's didn't even think about trying any funny stuff - even Shaq. Players in the L know that Reggie's crazier and tougher than Garnett and Artest combined and nobody wants to take the chance. The only other guy on the team who could handle the enforcer role is Dorsey, who we should be grooming to take over from Reggie eventually.
                    Good analogy. Every team needs a Reggie - he just shouldn't be starting.

Dorsey is a great big off the bench. When given opportunities this year he has taken advantage. I hope the Raptors consider him a part of the future even if it is 3rd or 4th big off the bench.

Comment

Working...
                    X