No announcement yet.

Peja for Iguodala? (not impossible...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peja for Iguodala? (not impossible...)

Reading Stein's power rankings for this week I came across this nugget concerning Philly:

Iguodala's future is still the story with this team ... even after that New Orleans trade with Toronto that cost the Hornets an asset (Peja's contract) believed to be earmarked for an Iguodala offer. Just tellin' the truth.
    It got me thinking. Three potential trade scenario's all work, according to the trade machine.

1) Peja for Iguodala straight up works (for some reason - the salaries, at least according to the machine, are like 2.5m apart. I thought they had to be closer than that).

2) With the aquisition of Jerryd Bayless for some of the TPE, Bosh's remaining TPE is almost exactly that of Iguodala's contract. So, Iggy for the TPE. (one caveat: the TPE is short by about 100k. Given that, can the TPE be used? does the +/- % salary matching apply with the TPE?)

3a) Perhaps Philly wants more from TO. So. Peja and Derozan for Iguodala and Philly's first round pick.

3b-c) Alternatively, the Raps could offer Peja and Miami's pick for Iguodala. Or their own. Would you offer Peja plus the Raps' pick for Iguodala?

Hypothetically, minus Derozan, the Raps with Iguodala would look something like this:

Calderon/Bayless
    Iguodala/Barbosa
    Weems/Kleiza
    Evans/Davis
    Bargnani/Johnson

With Derozan - implying a Peja for Iggy straight swap - the lineup looks like this:

Calderon/Barbosa/Bayless
    Iguodala/Derozan
    Weems/Kleiza
    Evans/Davis
    Bargnani/Johnson

Either way, the Raptors have what looks like a pretty good defensive team. Iguodala is an elite defensive wing, from what I understand. That's a playoff team, no two ways about it.

Would you do it? Would Philly do it? Would you give up Derozan for Iggy and a pick? Would Philly give up Iguodala and a pick for a 15m expiring contract and Derozan? Would you trade a first rounder for Iguodala? According to Stein, a Peja/Iguodala swap has already at some level been discussed, indicating this isn't impossible.

Thoughts?

Igoudala has had a disappointing year to date, but I wouldn't include DeRozan in a deal for him. At first, it appears that we'd win that deal, getting the better player, but DeRozan is improving to the point where his ceiling could very well be higher than what Igoudala is at right now. Demar could wind up being the better player in a year or two. With the way the NBA climate might look next season, you don't know what's gonna happen. I would far more be interested in locking up Weems long term to a more sensible contract than overpaying for Igoudala.

Comment

Given the growth displayed (albeit inconsistently) by DD and Weems at this point, I would not want AI. His contract would be a killer and he dominates the ball when he plays. One of the great things about the Raptors this year is that, when they are playing well, the ball moves quickly.

Comment

Typically, with Derozan on the floor, when the ball is moving well, it's because Derozan cannot create his own shot. So it goes to Derozan who passes it off again because he is often-times unwilling (perhaps a confidence thing) to assert himself offensively (see: last game). So ball movement by necessity, not so much because it's the right call. At least with Iguodala, when he gets the ball, he can find a way to score. Added to that, Iguodala is better defensively than I think Derozan will ever be. So, even granting Derozan becoming a better offensive player than Iguodala down the line, Iguodala trumps DD on defence. Given the ability of Bargnani, Weems, Calderon, Johnson, Kleiza and Barbosa to score, I'll take Iguodala's defence as being more necessary.

One final thing. Iguodala has never really played with other capable scorers, nor has he really ever played with a good passing point guard. The Raps have both in Bargnani and Calderon. I don't see why he can't improve his scoring numbers and his assists (which are already at around 5/game) as a result of playing in an offense that has multiple options and better ball movement. Other teams won't be able to focus entirely on him because of Bargnani, and Calderon will be able to set him up for a good look better than Williams/Holliday have been able to in Philly. He may even be able to teach Derozan a thing or two on both sides of the ball, assuming Derozan stays in an Iguodala trade.

I'm not advocating trading Derozan for Iguodala, but would definitely include draft picks. But if it came down to it, I probably would though take Iguodala over Derozan. With Calderon and Bargnani to complement him, I can see Iguodala scoring at least 17/game.

This raises, I suppose, another question. Do you think Derozan will become a 17/5/5 guy, as Iguodala most certainly would on the Raps? If so, do you think he can do that while playing as good defence as Iguodala does?

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
          Typically, with Derozan on the floor, when the ball is moving well, it's because Derozan cannot create his own shot. So it goes to Derozan who passes it off again because he is often-times unwilling (perhaps a confidence thing) to assert himself offensively (see: last game). So ball movement by necessity, not so much because it's the right call. At least with Iguodala, when he gets the ball, he can find a way to score. Added to that, Iguodala is better defensively than I think Derozan will ever be. So, even granting Derozan becoming a better offensive player than Iguodala down the line, Iguodala trumps DD on defence. Given the ability of Bargnani, Weems, Calderon, Johnson, Kleiza and Barbosa to score, I'll take Iguodala's defence as being more necessary.

One final thing. Iguodala has never really played with other capable scorers, nor has he really ever played with a good passing point guard. The Raps have both in Bargnani and Calderon. I don't see why he can't improve his scoring numbers and his assists (which are already at around 5/game) as a result of playing in an offense that has multiple options and better ball movement. Other teams won't be able to focus entirely on him because of Bargnani, and Calderon will be able to set him up for a good look better than Williams/Holliday have been able to in Philly. He may even be able to teach Derozan a thing or two on both sides of the ball, assuming Derozan stays in an Iguodala trade.

I'm not advocating trading Derozan for Iguodala, but would definitely include draft picks. But if it came down to it, I probably would though take Iguodala over Derozan. With Calderon and Bargnani to complement him, I can see Iguodala scoring at least 17/game.

This raises, I suppose, another question. Do you think Derozan will become a 17/5/5 guy, as Iguodala most certainly would on the Raps? If so, do you think he can do that while playing as good defence as Iguodala does?
          I'm not sure where DD's potential will be. Given the fact adding AI to the Raps does not make them a contender, I'd go with the 21 year old who has shown promise and great chemistry with the guys around him and makes $2.6M next season over the 27 year old who has reached his potential, has proven to be not an All-Star or franchise guy, and makes $14.9M next season.

Comment

AI played with the other AI (proven scorer) and Andre Miller (about 7 assists per game over 3 seasons).

Comment

AI is a better distrutor than DeRozan and DeRozan will probably never live up to that, but I can see Demar being just as good of a rebounder and a better scorer.

Comment

I do not want anything to do with Andre Iguodala unless it's in a video game. He is overpaid, and is not actually as good as many think he is. Just check out his per36. His stats have been going down every year, and he hasn't averaged 20 points a game in his career.

Comment

The looming CBA and the drafting of DD prevents Ai from coming here. Other than that AI has proven to be a good player. He's slightly overpaid (compared to Okafor's contract, he holds more value). What concerns me is that AI hasn't done anything in Philly. If he's the franchise, what happened down there?
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

How about this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=24m9pvm

Since T. Young I believe is a free agent, why not go for AI and then get him along with it. The team can also trade Weems for a pick? Thaddeus can take over the starting 3 gig. He's tough and can pop the 3. We get a pick out of Money Weems is not bad. Projected line-up.

Calderon / Bayless
                    Iguodala/DeRozan/Barbosa
                    Young/Kleiza/DeRozan
                    Davis/Kleiza
                    Bargs/Johnson/Davis

OR

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=25gwt5q

Weems is still traded somewhere for a pick and we get a legit Center

Calderon / Bayless
                    Iguodala / DeRozan / Barbosa
                    Kleiza / DeRozan
                    Davis / Johnson
                    Bargs / Speights
                    Last edited by Balls of Steel; Sun Dec 5, 2010, 01:11 PM.
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Iguodala is not worth trading for, he has many years and big money stuck with him, don't want him anywhere near the Raptors.

Comment

Stefanski has already come out and said that they wouldn't trade him for cap relief.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                          How about this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=24m9pvm

Since T. Young I believe is a free agent, why not go for AI and then get him along with it. The team can also trade Weems for a pick? Thaddeus can take over the starting 3 gig. He's tough and can pop the 3. We get a pick out of Money Weems is not bad. Projected line-up.

Calderon / Bayless
                          Iguodala/DeRozan/Barbosa
                          Young/Kleiza/DeRozan
                          Davis/Kleiza
                          Bargs/Johnson/Davis

OR

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=25gwt5q

Weems is still traded somewhere for a pick and we get a legit Center

Calderon / Bayless
                          Iguodala / DeRozan / Barbosa
                          Kleiza / DeRozan
                          Davis / Johnson
                          Bargs / Speights
                          I like that second scenario alot

Comment

id looooove to see iggy in toronto, we shuda had him ever since the aroujo fiasco.

trade peja, sonny, miamis pick and future first rounder for iggy
                            http://www.twitter.com/YateeshKevin23

Comment

iggy is overated, we need a rising star which are our draft picks, we cant trade them for washed up players

Comment

Working...
                              X