Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Demar & Sonny Trade Starting Positions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Demar & Sonny Trade Starting Positions?

I think Weems should start at the 2 and Derozan at the 3.

Last time I checked Sonny is actually an inch shorter and about 15 pounds lighter. Plus he's blatantly faster and a better shooter!! I also think he's better suited to guard the Wade's and Bryant's of the world....

They're both swingmen, so throughout games, they'll prob play both positions, but I think the majority of minutes should be with Sonny at SG and Demar at SF. Who knows... maybe Derozan could flourish there....

Agree? Disagree?

I can see the benefits of this if it will shake Demar out of his funk. As a 2 guard, there's still a fair amount of dribbling demands on him and I do think he still has a way to go in developing a tighter handle. They should also utilize his speed over other 3's in the league. In defensive sets, we've already seen switches where Weems is getting the 2-guards while Demar is handling other 3's. He's still young and has loads of potential. I've always felt that Demar is better suited coming off the bench as he continues to hone his game. I thought that he's being thrown into the fire way too quickly. I mean Ed Davis, even if he was healthy from the beginning wouldn't have started at the 4 right away. To answer the question, yes, I wholeheartedly agree and should switch.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

In the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't make much of a difference. But, given a choice, I'm of the same opinion. As the smaller player, it makes more sense for Weems to be at the 2 spot. For Derozan, I think playing the 3 might actually be better for him as well. Think about it for a second. He has difficulty creating his own shot of the dribble, has limited shooting range, but shows signs he can be a good rebounder and is a great finisher near the rim.

So. Instead of having him try to start from zero with the handles and the deep shooting range, perhaps it's better - and might be easier - for Derozan to instead try to develop a bit of a post up game. Have him play closer to the basket where his shot style is more suited to play. Instead of the Kobe comparisons he draws, why not more of a Melo type player (in play styles here people - not talent)?

Comment

It doesn't really matter! I like it when both of them are on the floor because they basically have the exact same skill set so you know what you're getting. They can switch on defense easily for defending opposing teams wings. Once Bayless is the full time starter, we will be stacked from 1-3. Nobody will be penetrating (in the good sense!)

They still have a far ways to go to establish themselves as elite wing players, but the future looks bright. Bayless, Weems, Derozan, Davis/Johnson, Bargnani. With the blur, ocho, kimbo slice, and Kleiza off the bench! I'm actually proud to be a raptors supporter!

Comment

The 2 and 3 positions are interchangable, so it doesn't really matter. I know during the last game, Demar was checking Pierce and Sonny was checking Allen.

Comment

The numbered position system has been replaced by having a point guard, two wings and two bigs. At the moment Sonny and Demar pretty well play the same position and on defense Demar usually does cover the bigger of the two wings so I guess that would make him a 3.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

never understood why they don't do it...thats how i have it in my live season...makes a lot more sense but we all know jay isn't the brightess coach out there
              "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                The numbered position system has been replaced by having a point guard, two wings and two bigs. At the moment Sonny and Demar pretty well play the same position and on defense Demar usually does cover the bigger of the two wings so I guess that would make him a 3.
                Against Miami though, Sonny is the one that guarded LeBron throughout the game. And I saw Sonny matched up against Pierce a lot the other day.

Comment

i agree with this 100 percent !

Comment

Michel G wrote: View Post
                    Against Miami though, Sonny is the one that guarded LeBron throughout the game. And I saw Sonny matched up against Pierce a lot the other day.
                    That's true, but I think it's a matchup issue. DD is taller and longer but not as strong or heavy so against guys like Lebron and Pierce who are very strong players it pays to have sonny in there at the three sometimes, against more athletic threes who are more speedy, DD is probably a better choice. On offence the two of them re very similar in what they do with DD being better at attacking and Weems having a much better shot.
                    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Working...
                    X