Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Thaddeus Young - Potential FA pick up

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Thaddeus Young - Potential FA pick up

    Thaddeus Young is extremely underrated. Philadelphia decided not to extend his contract meaning he will be a free-agent this summer.

    He has done well in the time he was on the court. He is also very athletic, and has had quite a few nice dunks over his career. He is also a good rebounder for his position. And has grabbed quite a few offensive rebounds in his career (1.8 per game in just under 29 minutes). He can play SF, but also PF and on rare occasions can even play SG because of his quickness and shooting ability. He can shoot from nearly everywhere on the court, and has a decent three-point shot.

    He is only 22, turning 23. And I don't think he would require too much money.

    He would definitely fit in with our new "style".

    This would be possible if we decide not to re-sign Reggie (which I hope) so we can have a player to go on when Amir fouls out, or if Ed isn't ready. And he can give Weems minutes at the 2 whilst he plays the 3.

    Of course apart from Young, there is also Green who is a combo forward. Green is a lot more proven, a better defender and a better offensive player. But Green would probably only sign if he got the starting spot, and for a lot more money.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

  3. #3
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,032
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like TYoung.. a lot. I think there were rumblings a few years ago when he came out that Colangelo was high on him as well and tried to trade up to get him. He's got a solid NBA body, a lot of length and he's a decent shooter. He'd probably benefit from a change of scenery. I think if the Sixers don't tender him, Colangelo will keep an eye out on him.
    Last edited by MangoKid; Tue Nov 23rd, 2010 at 09:52 AM.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He'd be worth signing just so he stops killing us. It seems every time we play Philly this guy has a carreer night (save the game this year).

    I'd be a fan of signing him though, seems to fit into the mold as far as what BC wants for the future (Young, Athletic guys that have tons of upside). For a contending team I'd rather have Jeff Green who is also a FA, but I don't think he'll leave OKC.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah, I was advocating for Thaddeus Young awhile back. I think he'd be great on the Raps. I heard though one reason why the 6ers didn't extend him was because he was looking for a ton of cash. Not sure if that's true or what, but he probably was looking for more than what Philly was willing to spend. Which, given the huge contracts of Iguodala and Brand, could make some sense - Philly's trying to avoid overpaying at this point. BC, on the other hand, is all about overpaying, so you never know. Could happen. He's one of the better upcoming FA's, that's for sure.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm not sold on Young, at least not as a good fit with the Raps. Like Jeff Green and Josh Smith, he's far more effective as an undersized 4 that relies on athleticism and speed than as a big 3. He doesn't have a great outside shot, doesn't penetrate well from the perimeter, and he's going to struggle guarding quick 3s. He's a bit like Kleiza in that respect, only without he 3 point shot. If the team wasn't already stacked at the 4 spot I'd say go for it, but where is he going to get the minutes he needs to develop?

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I didn't know that Young was a free agent.

    I thought I saw him playing against the Raptors the other night?

    2011-12, there might not even be a season
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    I didn't know that Young was a free agent.

    I thought I saw him playing against the Raptors the other night?

    2011-12, there might not even be a season
    In the summer he will be

    And I'm hoping there will be a season

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nine New Faces wrote: View Post
    I'm not sold on Young, at least not as a good fit with the Raps. Like Jeff Green and Josh Smith, he's far more effective as an undersized 4 that relies on athleticism and speed than as a big 3. He doesn't have a great outside shot, doesn't penetrate well from the perimeter, and he's going to struggle guarding quick 3s. He's a bit like Kleiza in that respect, only without he 3 point shot. If the team wasn't already stacked at the 4 spot I'd say go for it, but where is he going to get the minutes he needs to develop?
    He is a lot more athletic than Kleiza. In his sophomore year he averaged 16 points a game, just a couple less than Iguodala. He is a better 3 than a 4. I think if we can get him for $3-5M for a couple seasons it would be a great deal

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    Yeah, I was advocating for Thaddeus Young awhile back. I think he'd be great on the Raps. I heard though one reason why the 6ers didn't extend him was because he was looking for a ton of cash. Not sure if that's true or what, but he probably was looking for more than what Philly was willing to spend. Which, given the huge contracts of Iguodala and Brand, could make some sense - Philly's trying to avoid overpaying at this point. BC, on the other hand, is all about overpaying, so you never know. Could happen. He's one of the better upcoming FA's, that's for sure.
    Well if he's asking for a ton of money I would rather we don't sign him. But I think up till $5M a year seems reasonable. Even less would be better.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JoePanini wrote: View Post
    In the summer he will be

    And I'm hoping there will be a season
    We have no idea what the new CBA rules will be and when they take take affect, so we have no idea of what Young's availability via free agency will be for the next season that the NBA plays whenever that might be.

    If no new CBA is reached by June 30th there will most likely be no free agent signings until a new CBA is signed because free agent signings after June 30th will fall under the new CBA rules. Young's status visa via free agency will not be determined until after the new CBA is signed.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Nov 23rd, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Like others he has always stood out with his fluid offense whenever he plays the Raps. He is a matchup problem because of his versatility and is not unlike Green (who is a starter playing the 4 outofposition I think and has leadership intangibles). I dont know about Young's defense though and this should always be a primary consideration in my view for any acquisition.

  13. #13
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,663
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Philly brass got to see him every day in practice. They chose not to extend his contract with all that experience of watching him play. That's a big statement coming from the experts on Thaddeus Young, the fact that they're not willing to commit to a deal starting at $4M/yr.

    EDIT: Wait a second. They have first crack at him with a qualifying offer of $4M. They don't need to make a call until the summer... I think.
    Last edited by Apollo; Tue Nov 23rd, 2010 at 01:14 PM.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JoePanini wrote: View Post
    He is a better 3 than a 4.
    The stats say you're wrong.

    http://www.82games.com/1011/10PHI7.HTM#bypos

    Check out his production breakdown by position. Not nearly as effective at the 3 as he is at the 4, on both sides of the ball.
    Last edited by Nine New Faces; Tue Nov 23rd, 2010 at 01:46 PM.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Philly brass got to see him every day in practice. They chose not to extend his contract with all that experience of watching him play. That's a big statement coming from the experts on Thaddeus Young, the fact that they're not willing to commit to a deal starting at $4M/yr.

    EDIT: Wait a second. They have first crack at him with a qualifying offer of $4M. They don't need to make a call until the summer... I think.
    I believe that they will have until June 30th to extend a QO that would most likely fall under the current CBA rules.

    If they don't extend a QO by June 30th under the current CBA rules Young would become a free agent. However, under the new CBA we don't know what the rules will be and when the league will even play next after this season if no new CBA is signed by June 30th.

    What we need on this forum is a "Free Agent Thread" just like there is a "Trade Proposal Thread"
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Philly brass got to see him every day in practice. They chose not to extend his contract with all that experience of watching him play. That's a big statement coming from the experts on Thaddeus Young, the fact that they're not willing to commit to a deal starting at $4M/yr.

    EDIT: Wait a second. They have first crack at him with a qualifying offer of $4M. They don't need to make a call until the summer... I think.
    i think its based on a lot of factors thats why a team doesnt want a player back, some are quite good but they dont fit the team's system.
    i think Young will be a great fit with the Raps. he seems to be a good pick and roll guy, which is currently the raps are very good at. i think he is a more athletic, smaller version of amir.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    i think its based on a lot of factors thats why a team doesnt want a player back, some are quite good but they dont fit the team's system.
    i think Young will be a great fit with the Raps. he seems to be a good pick and roll guy, which is currently the raps are very good at. i think he is a more athletic, smaller version of amir.
    More athletic than Amir?

    Not unless you discount the ability to run fast and far as non-athletic abilities.

    Johnson competed very successfully in both basketball and track, sprinting and long distance running in high school.

    Amir is probably the best in the league in getting up and down court both on offense and defense.

    Yes Young is a better ball handler and maybe able to jump hirer though I am not sure about that.

    However he can't run anywhere near as good as Amir can period.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I didn't realize Young was only 22. As already mentioned, his knock is he is a tweener.

    He is a RFA with a qualifying offer of $3.99M.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-10-11

    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9167

    Personally, I think Green is a legit 3 and if there was a choice I would go with Green. Playing out of position and initially in Durant's and now Durant's and Westbrook's shadow, Green has not shown how good he can be.

    Also, OKC just resigned Collison to an extension and they have Ibaka. I think this may be another sign Green's future might not be in OKC.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I didn't realize Young was only 22. As already mentioned, his knock is he is a tweener.

    He is a RFA with a qualifying offer of $3.99M.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-10-11

    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9167

    Personally, I think Green is a legit 3 and if there was a choice I would go with Green. Playing out of position and initially in Durant's and now Durant's and Westbrook's shadow, Green has not shown how good he can be.

    Also, OKC just resigned Collison to an extension and they have Ibaka. I think this may be another sign Green's future might not be in OKC.
    I would also take Green over Young. That is if we don't re-sign Weems and Green doesn't ask for too much. If we keep Weems, which I would prefer, I don't think Green would come to play 20 minutes a game. He is a starter, and would probably only consider our offer if we can guarantee a starting spot. Also he might want to go to a contender, or at least a .500% team.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nine New Faces wrote: View Post
    The stats say you're wrong.

    http://www.82games.com/1011/10PHI7.HTM#bypos

    Check out his production breakdown by position. Not nearly as effective at the 3 as he is at the 4, on both sides of the ball.
    Well he is a better SG as well :P

    I guess so, but he can play both positions which can come in handy. Especially because if we don't resign Reggie, Wright and Weems (I hope we re-sign Weems) we will have space at the 3 and 4. With Amir having trouble staying on court, and Ed still quite raw. I think TYoung would be a great fit.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •