Banks Could Be on the Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banks Could Be on the Block

Highly unlikely, but how wonderful would it be if we could deal him right now?

But for all the jabs Raptors fans throw at Marcus, he's done a commendably job backing up Jack and has been a professional the whole time he's been here by not complaining or anything all. I respect him for that.

There is no doubt that Marcus Banks, an admirable fill-in at point guard in the absence of Jose Calderon, has opened a few eyes of late.

And in the cold, cruel world of professional sports, he might be just playing well enough to be traded.

I know that’s a bit harsh, all the guy has done is be professional and stay ready and give them what they need, but it’s the way the world works.

Now, there are 29 teams who have seen him play recently and seen him do a pretty good job. And if someone wants a backup point guard, he’s got to be in the mix, at least whenever Jose gets back in action.

I’m not suggesting there’s a deal in the mix but I know there are people in the organization who are thinking what I am: That Banks has become a far more attractive “asset” in the last week than he was at the beginning of the season.

And it’s never a bad thing to have assets.
    Source - Click here

Doug Smith might be full of shit here. Just because he had two good games doesn't mean he suddenly becomes a trade asset. He's still got a bad contract which no team will be looking to take on until next year when it's an expiring. With the salary cap up in the air, I don't see anyone saddling themselves with Banks, unless they're feeding us even longer contracts in return.

Comment

I disagree with the title of this thread. I think Banks is always on the block. I hope they can find a suitor.

One more thought. I don't think the Raptors will find a one for one trading partner in a Banks deal. Personally, I think they would have to try and package him in a bigger deal. For example, in the summer, if Bosh wants out he will still like to find a S&T agreement with the Raptors. If its Miami, Dallas, wherever, I think the Raptors would force the other team to take Banks' contract.
      Last edited by Apollo; Tue Dec 22, 2009, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
        Doug Smith might be full of shit here. Just because he had two good games doesn't mean he suddenly becomes a trade asset.
        Take out the word "might" ... no maybes involved here ... Doug Smith is talking out of his ass.
        nbaroundtable

Comment

HOpefully this is true because I want him outta here. He is a good player and all but every year his contract will hurt our oppurtunites at getting good FA players. I would deal him for a player with the same length but with less money or with the same amount of money but less years remaining.
          Last name ever, first name greatest

Comment

I agree with Arsenalist, how can a untradable third string player suddenly become a trade asset over the course of two weeks? He has a contract that carries over the 2010 free agent party and no team would be silly to think 4 million is worth a marginal nba player. Besides BC. Looking back at the Miami trade, its unbelievable how badly Miami fleeced us.

Comment

Doug Smith is the same writer that tried to convince us after the embarassing Magic-Raptors playoff series that all was well with Mitchell and Colangelo, and further echoed this up to the minute SMitch was fired a few weeks into the next season.

He knows nothing- or his sources get a kick out of giving him false info and then sit together and laugh while reading his blogs.

Comment

Even if Banks had some trade value, you can't trade him now when you don't even know when Calderon returns or gawd forbid JJ goes down with injury.

We are stuck with Banks for better or for worse.

Comment

abstract wrote: View Post
                  or his sources get a kick out of giving him false info and then sit together and laugh while reading his blogs.
                  Well that would explain why the Raptors stink this season so far.

Comment

Notice the OKC Jazz trade yesterday? Unloading a bad contract likely means giving up an asset like Maynor. Sam Presti rules.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      I disagree with the title of this thread. I think Banks is always on the block. I hope they can find a suitor.

One more thought. I don't think the Raptors will find a one for one trading partner in a Banks deal. Personally, I think they would have to try and package him in a bigger deal. For example, in the summer, if Bosh wants out he will still like to find a S&T agreement with the Raptors. If its Miami, Dallas, wherever, I think the Raptors would force the other team to take Banks' contract.
                      Hasn't Banks been on the block since the day the Raps acquired him?

But it will be easier to trade him next year! (expiring deal)
                      The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Working...
                      X