Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Johnson Had More Assists Last Night Than Barbosa Has Had in 8 of His 9 Raptors Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson Had More Assists Last Night Than Barbosa Has Had in 8 of His 9 Raptors Games

and people say that Barbosa can play the PG?

On the other hand maybe Johnson is learning from Jose?

Johnson had four Assists last night
    and Barbosa has topped three Assists in a game only once and that was against Boston two games ago when he had five.

Barbosa Game Log 10-11
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Jose had the same amount assists last night as Barbosa had on the season (9).

Comment

So?

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
      Jose had the same amount assists last night as Barbosa had on the season (9).
      And your point?

Are you suggesting that Johnson, by virtue of his position at forward, should have fewer assists? Johnson turned, faced the basket and looked for cutters. The motion of the offense allowed for it. So it should be. Just b/c you're a forward doesn't mean you shouldn't be dishing to the people ctting thru lane...

Barbosa was playing on the wing most of the night...

I was at that game last night, and I have to say, I am stunned that people aren't recognizing Barbosa's contribution. A lot of those open jumpers in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarter came as a result of penetration from Barbosa and to a lesser extent Bargnani. They could NOT stop him, and therefore had to compact the lane.

Honestly, defenses will have to accomodate his speed, and handle, and we will get open looks all year b/c of it.

Using assists as a statistic would distort what actually happened last night...
      Last edited by Gusser; Thu Nov 25, 2010, 02:27 PM.

Comment

I do like Barbosa's aggressiveness. However, he is currently my most cringe-worthy player. Every time dude lofts up a 3 I hope its not an airball. I like that he drives hard to the rim but I wish that more of those lay-ups went in. I've pulled out a few hairs watching Barbosa play for sure.
        Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Barbosa isn't a PG. He never was. I don't know why some pigeonhole him to be one.

What's being lost in all of this is that Bayless played well last night. I love that kid. He's gonna be a good one.

Comment

Gusser wrote: View Post
            And your point?

Are you suggesting that Johnson, by virtue of his position at forward, should have fewer assists? Johnson turned, faced the basket and looked for cutters. The motion of the offense allowed for it. So it should be. Just b/c you're a forward doesn't mean you shouldn't be dishing to the people ctting thru lane...

Barbosa was playing on the wing most of the night...

I was at that game last night, and I have to say, I am stunned that people aren't recognizing Barbosa's contribution. A lot of those open jumpers in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarter came as a result of penetration from Barbosa and to a lesser extent Bargnani. They could NOT stop him, and therefore had to compact the lane.

Honestly, defenses will have to accomodate his speed, and handle, and we will get open looks all year b/c of it.

Using assists as a statistic would distort what actually happened last night...
            1. You don't run those offensive sets unless you have someone you can generate assists out of them.
            2. The player with that responsibility has to be able to A. See the cutters B. Be able to get the ball to them without throwing the pass away.

Barbosa is a very good offensive player who can score, he is just not a PG, those are my points.

Barbosa is in no way, no shape, no how a PG, straight up, period.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Ok...I will agree that Barbosa is not a good PG, he wouldn't be my choice. However, I wouldn't utilize the stat that Johnson had more assists than him on a night when he was playing the 2 as proof.
              To my mind, he did exactly what you would want your 2 guard to do in those offensive sets. The ball rotated, the defense adjusted, and then he attacked, forcing the Defense to pack the lane throughout the game. This resulted in open looks for our shooters.
              He had a mismatch (actually several, since no one could stop him from getting them on his hip), and he took advantage.

P.S. I know Philly played like a bunch of pylons.

Comment

Working...
              X