Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jamesk wrote: View Post
    You're an idiot. A Big one.
    This comment was way out of line. The truth is, the Raps have been out rebounded in the past. It is the stat that most of us desire prior to Reggie's arrival. When we had Kapono, the team was perceived as soft and BC made appropriate changes. I'm not discounting Reggie's impact.

They out rebounded the Celts and still lost the game.

Playing 4 against five on offense in their home court gave way to a 22-point deficit.

They also lost because the wings (Weems and Derozan) struggled.

They lost because the bigs were allowed to roam for alley-oops that shifted the momentum back to the Celts.

More importantly, we lost because the Celts played great defence. Bargs was shut down because he was not allowed to get the ball.

It was only when Triano started to mix up defensive schemes late in the game where the Celts got confused. More importantly, when he decided to put shooters in the game to spread the floor that the deficit was cut to as close to 6.

Coaching was partly to blame here. The Lakers game (although resulting in a loss), was coached better due to changes in the defensive schemes on a per possession basis. At the beginning of the third quarter of this game, the deficit was allowed by Triano to creep up to double digits without a time-out or a substitution until it was tool late. I partly blame the coach as well.

Could we have won this game? Probably not. However, for a team that is 5th in the league in defense (the Celts) while at HOME, we could've made it closer and much more difficult for them.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
      Rebounding is way over rated.

It is important but shooting and scoring are more important.
      Of course scoring is most important - as it is in every sport where the team with the most points wins. However, next to scoring rebounding is usually the most telling stat in basketball. The team with more rebounds wins!

Comment

If our offense was better then we wouldn't need so many offensive rebounds to win. So yeah, I would say rebounding is kinda important.

More importantly, no one's talking about Reggie's plummeted trade value. If he's out for a loooong time then he's stuck here till the end of the year.
        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

when is davis coming back
          ya dun noe

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
            If our offense was better then we wouldn't need so many offensive rebounds to win. So yeah, I would say rebounding is kinda important.

More importantly, no one's talking about Reggie's plummeted trade value. If he's out for a loooong time then he's stuck here till the end of the year.
            Other teams are not stupid, well maybe the Clippers

They know that Reggie's rebounding numbers are inflated.

Not that Reggie is not a good rebounder, he is.

However it does not make up for his other deficiencies.

Reggie has developed a big "cult following" among Raptors fans and I am happy for him.

However, his overall skill level and horrible lack of skill offense, other than his offensive rebounding and despite some occasional nice interior passing reduces his market value even with his rebounding. In addition his overall defense is just average.

Reggieites will always love him and good for him, however his trade value was not much before the injury though I will agree that it is a lot less now with him having a second serious foot related injury in two seasons and his age of 30.
            Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Nov 27, 2010, 12:27 PM.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

as i said before, trade evans while he has value, after broken foot he has practically NO value now.

Comment

Nine New Faces wrote: View Post
                Couple of things:

1. This is a big blow to the Raps' ability to make a deadline deal. Reggie was their biggest asset as an affordable expiring deal AND a player that could genuinely help a playoff team looking for some rebounding help as a 4th big. That value is gone now. I wouldn't be surprised to see the raps hang onto him and try to sign him to a cheap contract in the offseason now, then used as a mentor type player for Amir and Davis.

2. Rebounding IS important, and the player likely to miss Reggie the most is Andrea Bargnani. Without Reggie in the lineup, Andrea is going to work much harder on the defensive glass. It'll be interesting to see if that saps his energy and translates to other areas of his game.
                +1

ive been saying this since day 1 wen i got here which was 2 weeks ago, everyone thought i was wrong how we shouldnt trade evans, now we got evans in street clothes for 5 mil wen we could've got a young talented player in return.

Comment

South_Side_Jane wrote: View Post
                  as i said before, trade evans while he has value, after broken foot he has practically NO value now.
                  That's what happens when you throw him in there for 30+ minutes a night.
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    +1
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Bargs didn't come out with enough intensity, he picked his intensity up as the game went along. That initial play of the celtics was rough and tumble and as the refs let them play was a big disadvantage to the raptors. Garnett was aloud to bump and hold andrea for the whole quarter while shaq and garnett were getting good low post position on the opposite end.
                      The worst call of the night was the charge shaq took on Andrea. He was inside the circle and was late on his rotation. That bold headed freak joey crawford is a terrible ref but some how the league puts him up on pedestal.
                      If the raps want to play with the celtics at their place they better play more physical for the whole game

Comment

dats the worst excuse ive heard

Comment

This is a blessing in disguise. I'm not hating on Reggie but we shouldn't have been down by 22. Triano's insistence that the starting 5 start at the beginning of the 3rd quarter was so wrong. I think he should have pulled out Reggie quicker when the team was playing the Celts 4 on 5 on offense. I'm not worried about this especially if Amir gets to move to the starting line-up. Kleiza will be in the second unit as a PF and Peja at the 3. The trade works out after all. When Davis comes back, Reggie's absence will be mitigated. The team needed to stretch the floor and this is where Stojakovic comes in. Also, too many alley-oops tonight. Players were simply forgetting their man, especially the front court tandem of Bargs and Evans.

This isn't as bad as most people think. The team now gets to play 5 on 5 on offense. Too bad Weems and Demar had rough outings. It feels like they're 3 games away from losing their starting gigs.
                          Somewhat I have to agree, it allows us to see how Joe Dorsey and Ed Davis will measure up to this new workload. Dorsey knows this role and knows how to play it simple, and can throw down nasty poster dunks, which Reggie can't. Ed Davis and Alabi should still spend some time in the D-Leauges until they are ready in flow and confidence.

Comment

South_Side_Jane wrote: View Post
                            dats the worst excuse ive heard
                            Most likely a stress fracture which results from over exertion to a body area, more specifically the muscles in that area, without allowing the body sufficient time to recover between the events that are creating the over exertion.

Evans is 30 years old and a career 19 mpg guy with the mpg being a lot lower in the last couple of seasons.

It would not surprise me in the least if the significantly increased work load on him did contribute greatly to or directly cause the injury.

Read up on muscle fatigue and what can happen to an athlete who continue to exercise those fatigued muscles in excess of what they are used to.

There is a reason that Evans over nine NBA seasons has averaged only 19 mpg while not playing for particularly good teams except in the first few seasons after he came into the league.
                            Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Nov 27, 2010, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post

rebounding isnt just on the offencive glass. Defencive rebounding leads to your team having the ball on offence... otherwise your team is just going to inbound after every basket scored by the opposition, & if your just going to let the other team score so u get the ball back your goin to loose most every game....

Comment

Triano post game interview, talked about Reggie injury and the game.
                                Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sat Nov 27, 2010, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X