Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Ed Davis' Bayhawks debut

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,382
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Ed Davis' Bayhawks debut

    http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/201...t2hp2021000017

    I thought this would be up by now. Was having a quick look at Ed Davis's numbers in his first game back from injury and thought nothing of them until I looked at his +/-. +21! is that a typo?! That basically means when he was on, no one from the Mad Ants scored. Ridiculous.

    On the other end, not to pleased with Alabi's numbers. He only played 15 mins though.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Watching the game now.

    The announcer is really very good.

    It sounds weird because he is doing a simulcast. However, if you just listen and don't watch he really is pretty good.

    I couldn't help but laugh when after one of Alabi's blocks the announcer referred to Alabi as King Solomon. LOL
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I watched the game and wasn't too impressed with Davis or Alabi. I am hoping that what I perceived as a lack of hustle (from Davis) was simply him being hesitant and finding his legs. However, his length really disrupted the other teams offense. His cool, calm demeanor may come across as lazy in a market that loves reggie evan's type of hustle.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BC Boy wrote: View Post
    I watched the game and wasn't too impressed with Davis or Alabi. I am hoping that what I perceived as a lack of hustle (from Davis) was simply him being hesitant and finding his legs. However, his length really disrupted the other teams offense. His cool, calm demeanor may come across as lazy in a market that loves reggie evan's type of hustle.
    Evans doesn't hustle any more than Johnson does. It is just that Reggie has a cult following.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Evans doesn't hustle any more than Johnson does. It is just that Reggie has a cult following.
    That's why I put "Reggie Evan's type hustle".

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Rookie Blasterfi9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vaughn
    Posts
    109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    king solomon us say up there dude...

    hmmmmm he already has a knick name, but still for 15 mins, dude had 7 points, 4 rebounds, 3 blocks..... not bad, dunno y so lil time

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BC Boy wrote: View Post
    I watched the game and wasn't too impressed with Davis or Alabi. I am hoping that what I perceived as a lack of hustle (from Davis) was simply him being hesitant and finding his legs. However, his length really disrupted the other teams offense. His cool, calm demeanor may come across as lazy in a market that loves reggie evan's type of hustle.
    First half Davis looks really good.

    Good defensive positioning moving his feet well, challenging shots in the paint.

    His first basket came off of an offensive rebound that he had just made.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,396
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I really like davis defensive game he very much knows what he is doing. He cut the angle on the guards on pick and roll defense not over extending like soloman does. It not that what soloman does is wrong but the guards he is playing with are not smart enough or fast enough to pick up the man on the other side and give alabi a chance to get back to the rim, davis plays the angles perfect and takes away the drive, is far enough to contest the shot and can still fade back to the rim. It makes davis defense look lazy but its absolutely the right thing to do given the situation.

    davis also needs to teach soloman how to properly shot block because from what I see alabi gets alot of shot blocks due to his length but if he cut the angles like davis does he would get some much more. Someone just needs to sit with alabi and show him what they call situational awareness. davis is good tho.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Guelph,ON
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think davis can develop into a defensive specialist, im really interested in alabi he has the length to be lethal

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    I really like davis defensive game he very much knows what he is doing. He cut the angle on the guards on pick and roll defense not over extending like soloman does. It not that what soloman does is wrong but the guards he is playing with are not smart enough or fast enough to pick up the man on the other side and give alabi a chance to get back to the rim, davis plays the angles perfect and takes away the drive, is far enough to contest the shot and can still fade back to the rim. It makes davis defense look lazy but its absolutely the right thing to do given the situation.

    davis also needs to teach soloman how to properly shot block because from what I see alabi gets alot of shot blocks due to his length but if he cut the angles like davis does he would get some much more. Someone just needs to sit with alabi and show him what they call situational awareness. davis is good tho.
    I agree with that highlighted statement at least with respect to some viewers.

    Davis not a helter skelter defender.

    He is intelligent and like you say knows and apparently understands the concepts related to proper defensive positioning.

    Can't wait to see him and Johnson on the court together.

    Davis will help Johnson on defense.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Blasterfi9 wrote: View Post
    king solomon us say up there dude...

    hmmmmm he already has a knick name, but still for 15 mins, dude had 7 points, 4 rebounds, 3 blocks..... not bad, dunno y so lil time
    I watched the game and there was no reason for so little time. That league is a joke.

    ps. the announcer was annoying

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Saw the whole game.

    Davis' defense is ahead of his offense at this point. He did however show more on offense in the LVSL.

    If he can stay healthy he is going to be a really, really good player.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    1,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good to hear on davIs front. Really pulling for alabi. Like the kid and think he could do well.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Rookie Blasterfi9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Vaughn
    Posts
    109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ill reaserve my opinion on the two till i see em on the NBA court playin.... cause D league is still a pretty big drop down.

    I remeber a few years ago when detroit put Amir down there, he was beast he averaged 18.9 points per game, 9.7 rebounds, and 3.1 blocks per game, while shooting 62.3% from the field. But then as soon as they brought him up obvious issues and arose.... like the damn fouling and juss not bein nearly as dominate.

    Still having good numbers down there means you atleast don suck completely, and have a career if not in the NBA in international leagues in other countries.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Blasterfi9 wrote: View Post
    Ill reaserve my opinion on the two till i see em on the NBA court playin.... cause D league is still a pretty big drop down.

    I remeber a few years ago when detroit put Amir down there, he was beast he averaged 18.9 points per game, 9.7 rebounds, and 3.1 blocks per game, while shooting 62.3% from the field. But then as soon as they brought him up obvious issues and arose.... like the damn fouling and juss not bein nearly as dominate.

    Still having good numbers down there means you atleast don suck completely, and have a career if not in the NBA in international leagues in other countries.
    The comparison is not valid.

    Johnson as I posted earlier today did not know how to play basketball the right way when he played the D-League. In fact it wasn't until he came to the Raptors that he ever had any serious coaching. It was all on athletic ability.

    Davis however, when you watch him you can see that he knows the game of basketball and how to play it the right way. Clearly 1.5 seasons at NC helped him learn a lot to say nothing of what he has learned from his father who was a NBA player and a pretty good one.

    Davis at this point in his career is way ahead of where Johnson was when it comes to understanding and being able to play the game the right way. Johnson dominated the D-League based entirely upon natural physical ability and a certain sixth sense on what to do.

    Johnson's game in the D-League did not translate because to be successful in the NBA you have to be a lot more than just an athlete. Even Howard struggled in the playoffs for years because he did not know hows to play the game and just dominated during the regular season based upon his superman athletic abilities. However, he is the rare exception who could dominate consistently based just on athletic abilities.

    Davis's D-League game will translate because he knows how to play the game the right way and plays under control and smart on both ends of the court. His calmness on the court is mistaken by many as being lazy or not being aggressive. However, he plays so smart that his physical moves are smooth and easy yet very effective.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,655
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Davis' father played 10 years in the NBA as a hustle and bang type of player. For Pop Davis to last 10 years in the league in this role, he must have known how to play the game. I'm sure Young Davis has had much mentoring over the years and to this day.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Rookie KJ-B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North York, ON
    Posts
    153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Big Ed - Big Knee Brace

    1st thing that struck me was the knee brace--Chris Bosh flashbacks during his rookie year and CBs current knee brace... At any rate I agree about assessing a guy's readiness based on D-League, which I rate as glorifeied NBA garbage time in regards to the skill level.

    It's just very obvious why these guys are in the D-League, NBAers just have that extra gear or 2 in every phase of the game--it must be hard to get motivated to play there but HE NEEDS conditioning for another week to ten days or so... I'm grateful that I live in an NBA city!

    I like the fact that he played few minutes to begin with and is 'playing slow' and not 'playing fast' by being forced into NBA action right away as players are just beginning to hit their stride. Also he won't be hitting the dreaded Rookie Wall as the entire season will be about strength and conditioning.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Raps should bring the kids back and play them,
    instead of talking that nonsense of playing Peja at 4...

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,634
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote dn66 wrote: View Post
    Raps should bring the kids back and play them,
    instead of talking that nonsense of playing Peja at 4...
    Lets get Davis in game shape and bring him back ready to play hard.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Davis' father played 10 years in the NBA as a hustle and bang type of player. For Pop Davis to last 10 years in the league in this role, he must have known how to play the game. I'm sure Young Davis has had much mentoring over the years and to this day.
    +1
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •