Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: We need a New Head Coach!

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All jokes aside, firing Triano ain't it. For Washington, he needs to switch the starting line-up to Calderon, Barbosa, Wright, Johnson and Bargs. Trim the fat I say (Weems and DeRozan) until they understand what it means to start in this league - that means not being outplayed on a nightly basis.

Let Amir in there and see what he can do as a starting 4. F^%k rotations for now. Don't pull a Lenny Wilkens Triano, if players are not pulling their weight, yank them - or they'll yank you!!!
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Don't pull a Lenny Wilkens Triano, if players are not pulling their weight, yank them - or they'll yank you!!!
    That is what I'm talking about Balls of Steel: Don't say that you're going to yank players if they're not pulling their weight and then not do it? Since we are testing the waters, why not pull players for playing half A$$? I was never a fan of Triano and don't think he knows how and when to use his timeouts! But maybe that's just my BAD!

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    im hoping thats the case...as for Jay ive never been a fan of his but u can hardly blame this loss on him.. the team just stunk on both ends of the floor.. i dont even want to blame the matchups.. it was just them kickin our butts.. & us not responding at all.. basicly just gave up fighting.. did u here jay in the timeout clip were he was ripping into the guys for not givin a honest effort..
    Yes I did catch the JT tirade during a timeout...good for him. Like I wrote in another post I am not expecting much this year except one thing...a change of culture...meaning playing hard and following your assignments and evaluating the talent. I am tired of other teams coming to the ACC and treating this team like a bunch of pussies. Does anyone foul hard in the paint? (maybe Amir). And we wonder why other players dont want to come here. With the team we have (young and new) these should be minimum expectations. Lose if we must but play hard. This did not happen today...for the first time I have seen this season. And the way JT must address this is ...consequences. The guys who were yukking it up on the bench lose their starting or time priveleges. I understand that Atlanta has more talent but....

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

If I were a GM hoping for a top 3 pick I'd keep Triano too..

Post Thanks / Like

We can't win if were are one of the worst defensive teams which is what we have been under Triano. There is no doubt he knows his stuff on the offensive end but we have to play at the very least some defense. Also, he is a horrible motivator.

Peja is not worth 14.5 million dollars. That is just how much he is getting paid.

Raptors Republic Starter TheR3dMenace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Serenity Now!

Red Auerbach himself couldn't get this team to a winning record. I can't stand this sort of reactionary shit from raps fans. Is Jay out there boxing out, or hustling back on defence, denying the ball, attacking the basket? Its not like the coaching staff isn't telling the players to do these things.

Blame to the coach if it makes you feel better about your fandom.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheR3dMenace wrote: View Post
    Serenity Now!

Red Auerbach himself couldn't get this team to a winning record. I can't stand this sort of reactionary shit from raps fans. Is Jay out there boxing out, or hustling back on defence, denying the ball, attacking the basket? Its not like the coaching staff isn't telling the players to do these things.

Blame to the coach if it makes you feel better about your fandom.
    +1

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am blaming the coach for not living up to his words and promise at the start of the season. He said that he will take anyone out who is not showing hustle or who is not holding their own. Give someone else a chance to start and see what they can do. Sure he is not out there boxing out, or playing the game for the raps but he is drawing up the plays and is suppose to put his foot down when it's needed and he is NOT doing that. I love the Raps and always will. I believe we had a better team last year and had Triano grown some Ball$ and not let Baby Bosh & Turkey walk over him things would have been good. Change the lineup Triano!

Raptors Republic Rookie SaskatchewanSun's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No coach could lead this team to victory. Once again we have to look forward to next year

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for dumping on our coach but if you place a heavy emphasis on Peja not playing...you get the gas face. Fan 590 announced he wouldn't play on-air hours before the game, someone posted he was out before the game on the game thread so Peja's bum knee was known publicly.

If we look at Rap coaches they weren't all scrubs before they came here: Lenny had the most wins of any coach, Kevin Oneal after he left here replaced Lute at University of Arizona, Butch is still highly regarded. Heck, even Triano gets hi props from Coach K. Smitch is an assistant coach for a former coach of the year...in NJ, but at least he can get work in the league.

The problem with this team has very little to do with coaching. Look at our list of GMs. Other than Isaiah (who destroyed the Knicks) and Babcock (who went back to his old job with the TWolves), none of them have landed on their feet after leaving the Raps. Hiring garbage GMs is a hallmark of MLSE. The more hope they sell, the less quality of player they are obligated to pay for maximum profit.

Raptors Republic Starter Buschfire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah, Peja was out with a knee that was injured or reinjured during practise thats why he didn't play today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
    Brendan Malone
    Darrell Walker
    Butch Carter
    Lenny Wilkens
    Kevin O'Neill
    Sam Mitchell
    Jay Triano

Check this list out...
    Toronto Raptors Head Coaches...WoW..
    Talk about crap.
    Fabulious Coaching..LOL!!!
    U talk about respected and winning coaching and I don't see any of them on this list.
    Plz if anyone says Lenny Wilkins is great coach ure on cloud 9..his one of the worst loosing coaches of all time...

If this franchise ever once 2 be recognized as great team..first u gotta find the right coach.
    Coaching does matter..LOOK AT CLEVELAND..
    Hmmm Byron Scott is doin all right.
    Brendan Malone-NBA Champion
    Butch Carter-Great coach
    Lenny Wilkens-Hall of Fame
    Sam Mitchell-COY
    Jay Triano-Olympic Champion

Malone's teams-expansion crap, fired for trying to win
    Carter's Teams-Pretty good actually, fired for trying to takeover the franchise
    Wilken's teams-Olajuon was shit, Vince was shit, fired for being semi-retired
    Mitchell's teams-Garbo goes down, replaced by.....fired for wanting a better team
    Triano's teams-If I told you this was an expansion team, you wouldn't be surprised. Currently dropping f-bombs and looking like a guy who's sarting to understand why smitch was pissed off half the time. In other words, gaining experince in the league, and finding out coaching a franchise with no history of winning and mediocre in house talent isn't as easy as it looked.
    Bottom line, these guys can coach, but noone can win with scrubs.

Phil Jackson's teams- some of the all-time greats
    Red Auerbach's teams-lead by the greatest of all-time
    Pat Riley's teams-some of the all-time greats

Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is going to be a long season. I imagine these posts will further degrade as the season progresses as well. The thing that pissed me off about this game is that it was boring (except for JTs interview) and lethargic. I don't mind the losing if there is some hustle. However, this team is teaching me the lesson of chill and patience. I let the bad games wash over me and enjoy the games that are entertaining.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    The problem with this team has very little to do with coaching. Look at our list of GMs. Other than Isaiah (who destroyed the Knicks) and Babcock (who went back to his old job with the TWolves), none of them have landed on their feet after leaving the Raps. Hiring garbage GMs is a hallmark of MLSE. The more hope they sell, the less quality of player they are obligated to pay for maximum profit.
    Grunwald has been asst. gm in NY for Isiah & Walsh for quite some time now.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

What is firing Triano going to accomplish? Will firing Triano suddenly make Bargs a good weak-side defender? Will DeMar suddenly get a handle and a jump shot? Will Jose suddenly be able to keep anyone in the league in front of him?

The problems this team face have to do with a lack of talent, not coaching. A strong bench and a deep roster will let you steal some games here and there over the course of a season, but the quality of your starters is what consistently wins games in the NBA. Look at the Raps' starting lineup. Nobody, except for maybe Bargs depending on the team, would start for team looking to advance in the playoffs.

The best coaches are former players and people who have been around the game a long time, like Jay. And just like players, coaches need time to develop, to make mistakes and to learn and grow in their profession. So let Triano grow with the team, because he could very well develop into a top-quality coach once he's got some polished, solid players to coach instead of trying to manage a sinking ship full of holes.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i love these sacrificial lamb threads after losses.

its like a 6 year old after church getting denied macdonalds.. "you promised me macdonald and you give me taco bell!!! mcdonalds mommy!!! MMMMMMMMMAAAACCCCCCDDDDDDOOOONNNNAAAALLLLLDDDDDSSS SS!!!! I WANT MCNUGGETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    How was he able to get away with dropping the F-bombs anyway without such much as a peep from B.C. and company? That was crazy. First time I have every witnessed that!
    He's been doing it all year. Earlier this year on a TSN national broadcast he let out the s_word and I've heard the f bomb on at least a few occasions this year.

It's getting pretty pathetic now. All of a sudden he's the tough swearing coach that can't keep his emotions in check?

Raptors Republic Rookie Jordan-Drexler's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear this guy will be avaliable soon:

What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is nonsense Triano is doing his best with what he has to work with! Simple as that ....even if we had Phil Jackson the Lakers coach do you really think he could do better with this type of team we have. I don't think so!!!! Until you have some talent on this team don't expect miracles!!! We have a roster that has some pieces that could add to a team and be good somewhere down the line but until we get a consistant producer on the court; don't look for any surprises!! Just think about it Reggie Evans a starter; on any other team he would be coming off the bench and playing maybe 10 or 15 min. tops. Don't get me wrong I love Reggie who gives this team heart and solid min when he is on the court but give me a break he is not the end all of NBA talent!!!

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Triano is doing a great job. They've already won twice as many games so far than I thought they would. With the lack of talent on this team, Triano should be in the running for Coach of the Year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information