X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Times blogsite Calls Reggie's Rebounding "Dominant"

Foot Injury Sidelines N.B.A.’s Top Rebounder
    By ROB MAHONEY

Toronto’s Reggie Evans, now injured, was the league’s top rebounder this season.

Weeks ago, Justin Kubatko noted the rebounding excellence of the Toronto Raptors’ Reggie Evans in this space, as Evans’ rebounding ethic is obscured by more conventional rebounding measures, but is resplendent under the light of more detailed statistics. Evans is still third in the league in rebounds per game, even though rebound percentage –- a percentage estimate of the rebounds a player grabbed while they were on the floor –- shows the Raptors’ forward to be far and away the most efficient rebounder in the league. When the noise from pace factors and varying opportunities are wiped clean, Evans is the league’s indisputable best on the boards.

Or at least he was the league’s indisputable best on the boards.

Evans suffered a non-displaced fracture of the fifth metatarsal in his right foot during the Raptors’ loss to the Boston Celtics on Friday, and there is no specified timetable for his return. It’s a shame, because not only was Evans the top rebounder in the league this season, but his year is worthy of an all-time label.

According to Basketball-Reference.com, Evans is grabbing a whopping 26.4 percent of all rebounds during his time on the floor this season, 35.3 percent of all available defensive rebounds and 18.2 percent of all available offensive boards. Each measure is enough to lead the N.B.A., but to fully appreciate how prolific of a rebounder Evans has been, it’s best we put these numbers in a historical context.

Only four times in N.B.A. history has a player posted a total rebounding percentage greater than 26 percent in at least 400 minutes played. The first three were accomplished by the brilliantly infamous Dennis Rodman, who pulled off the feat for each of his first three teams: the Detroit Pistons, the San Antonio Spurs, and the Chicago Bulls. The fourth such season currently belongs to Evans.

Similarly, only three times in N.B.A. history has any player had a defensive rebounding percentage greater than 35 percent in 400 or more minutes played. The first two occurrences are predictably Rodman’s, with Evans’ current campaign in third.

It’s been a monumentally successful season for Evans on the boards, which understandably sparks curiosity why he hasn’t done it in previous seasons. Evans has always been an effective rebounder (it’s his only marketable N.B.A. talent), but this year’s marks eclipse his previous career highs.

The simple answer? He plays for the Raptors.

Toronto’s best rebounders (Evans, Amir Johnson, and Joey Dorsey) have such redundant skills that they rarely take the floor together. Given the miserable rebounders that span the rest of the Raptors’ roster (newly acquired point guard Jerryd Bayless currently ranks fourth on the team in total rebounding percentage), Evans is free to feast on the available boards. It’s still impressive that a 6-8, athletically-limited forward manages to dominate so thoroughly on the glass, but there’s no question his teammates play a role in his numbers.

Rob Mahoney is an obsessive student of professional basketball, dedicated to the minutiae, the overarching themes and everything in between. You can read more of his work at TheTwoManGame.com, HardwoodParoxysm.com and ProBasketballTalk.com.
    LINK:
    http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.c...top-rebounder/

This just goes to show how good players can make the negative comments about our team seem like bullshucks. This is one of the main reasons we keep a guy like Reggie. Amongst other great reasons.
    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
    Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
    http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

No doubt, Reggie is by far the best rebounder, and like the writer said, it`s not his fault guys like Barney and Weems seem to care less about getting boards, the hawks out-rebounded us and look what happens.

When we win the rebounding game, we`re a not so bad 5-7, when we do lose that part of the game, we`re 1-4.

Comment

Reggie & Rebounding

Barney and Weems seem to care less about getting boards, the hawks out-rebounded us and look what happens.

When we win the rebounding game, we`re a not so bad 5-7, when we do lose that part of the game, we`re 1-4.
      Rebounding (or lack thereof), was not the cause of our loss to Atlanta. The Hawks only had 3 more total rebounds - and in fact, Raps had 1 more Offensive rebound.

The 3 extra [total] rebounds (or more precisely, the 4+ Defensive rebounds) was a function of poor Raptor shooting. 46.8% to 40.0% for the Raptors. Add 7 more made - 3pt shots by Atlanta, and that pretty much defines the scoring difference. Aside from the ease with which they made those shots.

Comment

Anyone know the official take on Reggie's injury and expected return?

Comment

RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
          Rebounding (or lack thereof), was not the cause of our loss to Atlanta. The Hawks only had 3 more total rebounds - and in fact, Raps had 1 more Offensive rebound.

The 3 extra [total] rebounds (or more precisely, the 4+ Defensive rebounds) was a function of poor Raptor shooting. 46.8% to 40.0% for the Raptors. Add 7 more made - 3pt shots by Atlanta, and that pretty much defines the scoring difference. Aside from the ease with which they made those shots.
          Precisely. It wasn't rebounding. It was the el matador/ole defense that did us in. I remember countless times where the Hawks had open looks and open lanes right to the basket.

But Reggie's performance has been dominant so far. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery. The problem with foot breaks/fractures is that it could take forever for it to heal. Even sprains take a ton of time to heal. So, he could be back in 2-4 weeks, or it could take him 8-12 weeks.

Comment

Too bad his foot is in a cast. Last year it took him an extremely long time to come back and so I would anticipate no different this time.

Comment

I find it odd though that BC or JT have not given an actual prognosis of the injury. Typically one would get a press release of some kind with a medical opinion as part of it and at least a vaguish return date, rehab time etc etc. And I was wondering if I missed that.
              Added to that was the cryptic Amir tweet.

Comment

Working...
              X