Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: Rogers in $1.3B Talks to Buy MLSE

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Rogers in $1.3B Talks to Buy MLSE

    WOW, talk about a HUGE transaction if it happens. What do you guys think? Good for the Raptors and the other teams in Toronto or bad?

    In what would be the biggest transaction in Canadian sport history, Rogers is in talks to buy the Toronto Maple Leafs in a deal worth more than $1 billion, sources said Tuesday.

    The sale would include the Raptors, Toronto FC soccer club and the Marlies, the Maple Leafs’ minor league hockey team.

    Buying a majority stake in Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment from the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan would transform Rogers, which already owns the Toronto Blue Jays, into one of the most powerful sports enterprises in North America.
    Source - Click here

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter GameBreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    Posts
    354
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Raptors Franchise To Be Sold--to Rogers??

    This is sum'n that is gonna be picking up steam as the days go by. Is this a good look or a bad look for our team? That's what I wanna discuss or have discussed. This, to me, can be a good move because we COULD have a person that actually cares and wants a WINNING franchise. The Leafs, as a franchise, is doing well. Thoughts?

    In what would be the biggest transaction in Canadian sport history, Rogers is in talks to buy the Toronto Maple Leafs in a deal worth more than $1 billion, sources said Tuesday.

    The sale would include the Raptors, Toronto FC soccer club and the Marlies, the Maple Leafs’ minor league hockey team.

    Buying a majority stake in Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment from the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan would transform Rogers, which already owns the Toronto Blue Jays, into one of the most powerful sports enterprises in North America.
    A deal with telecommunications giant Rogers would include all of MLSE’s sports properties, including Leafs and Raptors TV stations, but not the company’s real estate holdings, sources told The Star. MLSE recently completed construction on its newly minted Maple Leaf Square condo development next to the Air Canada Centre.

    LINK: http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...ster-deal?bn=1
    Last edited by GameBreaker; Wed Dec 1st, 2010 at 09:21 AM.
    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.


    "My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
    Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
    http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i heard about this on the way to work... havent decided what my opinion is yet... but i can bet its going to cause more fiascos with televised broadcasts down the line

  4. #4
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    More people are concerned what it means from a Leafs standpoint, but from a Raps standpoint, i think it'll be better. You might be able to do more things with Rogers' products to gain access to Raptors content. If you're with Bell, Telus, MTS, Aliant, Sasktel, etc, you might be screwed however.

  5. #5
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This has no real meaning to us fans. The team would still be ruled by a bunch of stuffy suits who can't relate to the game. The important thing is that Colangelo or whoever is in charge then keeps control. The move from non-basketball minds making basketball decisions to only basketball minds making basketball decisions was important even if it hasn't led to on court success yet.

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    More people are concerned what it means from a Leafs standpoint, but from a Raps standpoint, i think it'll be better. You might be able to do more things with Rogers' products to gain access to Raptors content. If you're with Bell, Telus, MTS, Aliant, Sasktel, etc, you might be screwed however.
    Rogers isn't going to turn around and exclude large markets by saying, "switch to all Rogers products immediately or you'll never see your Dinosaur again". That's just not good business. I could no doubt see them moving games to Sportsnet but they're not going to want them all because they have other contracts in place.
    Last edited by Apollo; Wed Dec 1st, 2010 at 09:47 AM.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Rogers will be a better owner because unlike previous ownership, they have a brand play. Winning teams woven with the Rogers brand, adds a tremendous amount of brand equity for Rogers. The more the teams win, the more valuable the impressions.

    For the teachers pension, it was strictly a buy and hold investment.

    Ideally though, you've got an individual owner or small group of owners...egos = championships.

  7. #7
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mattscottnelson wrote: View Post
    Rogers will be a better owner because unlike previous ownership, they have a brand play. Winning teams woven with the Rogers brand, adds a tremendous amount of brand equity for Rogers. The more the teams win, the more valuable the impressions.

    For the teachers pension, it was strictly a buy and hold investment.

    Ideally though, you've got an individual owner or small group of owners...egos = championships.
    Have you been paying attention to the Blue Jays for the past 10 years? Your theory isn't backed by history. Most of the best teams in the NBA are owned by a single owner or by a small handful of people.

    Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    i guess it would be better since rogers is monopolizing everything here in canada, the more profits they have, the more money they will give to the raps to better the team. but BC will probably use the money to overpay another supersub
    That is unless they don't share your view. Corporations tend to always place the bottom line ahead of everything else. You're never going to see a corporation taking Jerry Buss' or Mark Cuban's views on sporting franchises and what they're all about. How do we know that Rogers wouldn't just internally declare that they'll never be willing to spend with the big boys and instead are happy to turn a profit on a mediocre product? History shows that Toronto fans reward owners no matter what they do. Toronto fans show up no matter what.
    Last edited by Apollo; Wed Dec 1st, 2010 at 11:51 AM.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Probably a case of more of the same. The franchises that win are the ones that spend the what they need to in order to put together a deep, talented team. And it seems like the teams that are willing to spend that kind of money are the ones with owners that aren't large corporations, but individuals or smaller groups who care more about the team than their margins. Then again who knows how the impending new CBA will affect caps, etc, so that may be a moot point.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    More people are concerned what it means from a Leafs standpoint, but from a Raps standpoint, i think it'll be better. You might be able to do more things with Rogers' products to gain access to Raptors content. If you're with Bell, Telus, MTS, Aliant, Sasktel, etc, you might be screwed however.
    terlus hast.v.?

    i know cogeco,bell,rogers,,shaw. but,didn't know telus, you sure went deep into the dc providers.


    rogers has denied it ofcourse, i would like a change so im for it and i heard they were going to buy the 66% owned by the teachers, the other 34% i guess would stay whatever it is now.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    637
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm for it since this is the best opportunity we'll ever have at getting MLSE out of the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund's cold dead hands.

    Just look at what Rogers has done with the Blue Jays.

    edit keep in mind that I hate Rogers and their nazist telecom service.
    Last edited by nubreed000; Wed Dec 1st, 2010 at 01:46 PM.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote nubreed000 wrote: View Post
    I'm for it since this is the best opportunity we'll ever have at getting MLSE out of the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund's cold dead hands.

    Just look at what Rogers has done with the Blue Jays.
    ever heard the saying "be careful what u wish for"?

    also "just look at what Rogers has done with the Blue Jays" is not a good way to start a marketing scheme LOL

    AA has made it a bit easier on us but Rogers has done nothing with the jays.... unless u feel trading the best pitcher in the game away cause u claim u cant afford him....& u cant afford to build around him, then proceed to stock pile $ in a bidd to take over MLSE a good thing! LOL
    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Wed Dec 1st, 2010 at 01:54 PM.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    AA has made it a bit easier on us but Rogers has done nothing with the jays.... unless u feel trading the best pitcher in the game away cause u claim u cant afford him....& u cant afford to build around him, then proceed to stock pile $ in a bidd to take over MLSE a good thing! LOL
    Watching Doc pitches was the only reason I watched Jay games in the last few years, when he was shipped out I completly lost interest in this team.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Watching Doc pitches was the only reason I watched Jay games in the last few years, when he was shipped out I completly lost interest in this team.
    agreed.. Doc should have retired a jay...rogers should have cared more about winning...

    although i was happy that Doc got his chance in the post season. It really stung to see him dominate that first game & know it wasnt for the Jays...

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Watching Doc pitches was the only reason I watched Jay games in the last few years, when he was shipped out I completly lost interest in this team.
    Jose Bautista was glorious to watch last year.
    Joshua Priemski
    NBA blogger
    SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
    www.RufusOnFire.com/
    www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Rookie daveyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    ever heard the saying "be careful what u wish for"?

    also "just look at what Rogers has done with the Blue Jays" is not a good way to start a marketing scheme LOL

    AA has made it a bit easier on us but Rogers has done nothing with the jays.... unless u feel trading the best pitcher in the game away cause u claim u cant afford him....& u cant afford to build around him, then proceed to stock pile $ in a bidd to take over MLSE a good thing! LOL
    I'd say for you to not comment much on the Blue Jays because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. They traded Halladay away because he wanted to get traded to a team that could win the championship. Not because they couldn't afford him.

    The Blue Jays under Rogers had the 5th highest payroll in baseball 3 years ago, Rogers is completely willing to put the money into the team and likely will do the same for the Raps and Leafs (and likely Bills Ralph Wilson passes). They decided to shift tactics the last couple years and build through the draft and trades based on the Tampa Bay model and it has worked out huge for them. American baseball scouts are absolutely drooling over the Jays talent base and will be for years to come.

    Rogers owning the Raps is nothing but good news except for television viewing.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote daveyboy wrote: View Post
    I'd say for you to not comment much on the Blue Jays because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. They traded Halladay away because he wanted to get traded to a team that could win the championship. Not because they couldn't afford him.

    The Blue Jays under Rogers had the 5th highest payroll in baseball 3 years ago, Rogers is completely willing to put the money into the team and likely will do the same for the Raps and Leafs (and likely Bills Ralph Wilson passes). They decided to shift tactics the last couple years and build through the draft and trades based on the Tampa Bay model and it has worked out huge for them. American baseball scouts are absolutely drooling over the Jays talent base and will be for years to come.

    Rogers owning the Raps is nothing but good news except for television viewing.
    Actually Doc wanted to be part of a winner in T.O but ownership kept blundering every move they made! in the end managment dicided to rebuild & wanted to trade Doc for prospects... Doc agreed because he wanted to be part of a winner not a constant rebuild!!! He never asked to be traded,he was asked if he would be willing to be traded...hence the reason Doc is still respected in T.O
    AA has managed to stock pile assests(Prospects) & has helped ease the pain a little but in no way shape or form did Rogers do anything good with the jays...

    Id say u need to take off those Rogers(Rouge) coloured glasses.....
    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Wed Dec 1st, 2010 at 03:56 PM.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Rookie Raptoronto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Been expecting this for some time. In terms of quality of ownership, probably a sideways move. Now if Ted was still kicking around it would have been a big postive.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Rookie big red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ticket prices will be flat rate up to 60 points scored by the Raptors, then a fee per point will be charged above and beyond that. If you become a Raptors fan, you must commit to them for three years. Getting bored of the Raptors or liking another team results in an early termination fee of $400. Oh and don't forget that being a Raptors fan has an extra charge of $6.95 per month for the NBA access fee.
    Also, you can like the Raptors a whole lot. You can like the Raptors all the time. If you try to like the Raptors a whole lot all the time, they'll throttle your liking of the Raptors.
    And be careful, being a Raptors fan while traveling will kill you with roaming fees.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote big red wrote: View Post
    ticket prices will be flat rate up to 60 points scored by the raptors, then a fee per point will be charged above and beyond that. If you become a raptors fan, you must commit to them for three years. Getting bored of the raptors or liking another team results in an early termination fee of $400. Oh and don't forget that being a raptors fan has an extra charge of $6.95 per month for the nba access fee.
    Also, you can like the raptors a whole lot. You can like the raptors all the time. If you try to like the raptors a whole lot all the time, they'll throttle your liking of the raptors.
    And be careful, being a raptors fan while traveling will kill you with roaming fees.
    ahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahaa

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    on top of Jenna Jameson
    Posts
    764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote big red wrote: View Post
    Ticket prices will be flat rate up to 60 points scored by the Raptors, then a fee per point will be charged above and beyond that. If you become a Raptors fan, you must commit to them for three years. Getting bored of the Raptors or liking another team results in an early termination fee of $400. Oh and don't forget that being a Raptors fan has an extra charge of $6.95 per month for the NBA access fee.
    Also, you can like the Raptors a whole lot. You can like the Raptors all the time. If you try to like the Raptors a whole lot all the time, they'll throttle your liking of the Raptors.
    And be careful, being a Raptors fan while traveling will kill you with roaming fees.
    Wow, big red, you nailed that. I f'n hate Rogers. I remember when they said they were going to bring the Bills to Toronto for some games. Rogers held a press conference and when asked a question about ticket prices, they started to laugh and said they'll charge us $250 a ticket and fans will be lined up. ha ha ha. what a f'n funny joke. Screwing the fans of Toronto.

    The worst thing that will happen to fans is if Rogers takes over. They will find a way to gouge every last nickel and dime they possibly can. It will feel like we've been raped in the face. May Rogers die and be sent to the 7th circle of hell.
    Last edited by RaptorDan; Wed Dec 1st, 2010 at 06:55 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •