Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Rogers in $1.3B Talks to Buy MLSE

Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote big red wrote: View Post
    Ticket prices will be flat rate up to 60 points scored by the Raptors, then a fee per point will be charged above and beyond that. If you become a Raptors fan, you must commit to them for three years. Getting bored of the Raptors or liking another team results in an early termination fee of $400. Oh and don't forget that being a Raptors fan has an extra charge of $6.95 per month for the NBA access fee.
    Also, you can like the Raptors a whole lot. You can like the Raptors all the time. If you try to like the Raptors a whole lot all the time, they'll throttle your liking of the Raptors.
    And be careful, being a Raptors fan while traveling will kill you with roaming fees.
    Wow, big red, you nailed that. I f'n hate Rogers. I remember when they said they were going to bring the Bills to Toronto for some games. Rogers held a press conference and when asked a question about ticket prices, they started to laugh and said they'll charge us $250 a ticket and fans will be lined up. ha ha ha. what a f'n funny joke. Screwing the fans of Toronto.

The worst thing that will happen to fans is if Rogers takes over. They will find a way to gouge every last nickel and dime they possibly can. It will feel like we've been raped in the face. May Rogers die and be sent to the 7th circle of hell.
    Last edited by RaptorDan; Wed Dec 1st, 2010 at 06:55 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote minks77 wrote: View Post
    No, no, no. I hate Rogers with a passion. Rogers and Bell already own all of our cable/internet/cell phone options, SKYDOME, Bell Centre etc. You think OTPP has no interest in winning? Look at the Blue Jays and ask yourself what Rogers has done except p-off fans by switching games to premium channels IN THE MIDDLE OF A SEASON and playing to an empty stadium?

Fuck Rogers. Fuck em straight to hell. What we really need are teams of PEOPLE (ie Sarver/Cuban/Buss etc) with a passion in sports and winning to buy the team, NOT another faceless, heartless corporate entity that will bleed the "product" dry and then sell it on to the next boardroom.

BTW, Fuck Rogers.
    You got that right brother (sister?)! Oh the stories i could tell about that succubus of a company
    Last edited by RaptorDan; Wed Dec 1st, 2010 at 06:56 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mattscottnelson wrote: View Post
    "Lowering costs and raising profits" is largely an oxymoron. You spend money to make money. Buy the content, monopolize the distribution channel, improve the product, raise the subscription price. That's their business plan.

It's a far more advantageous plan for Raptors fans than the last regime: Buy the team, manufacture more seats, raise seat prices, sign a new broadcast deal, and then sell.

This is better for raptors fans. Albeit marginally, but better.
    You invest wisely to make money. Most teams paying huge luxury tax amounts could make a lot of money without swinging for the fences. Take the Raptors for example. They almost always finish in the top 15 in gate numbers and do well on T.V. What they've shown is a team can make good profits while putting a mediocre product to a strong market. Are they going to find bigger net gains by spending $20M over the tax threshold and then paying $20M in tax on top of that? I don't see how and so it brings me back to my point, what are corporate executives in sports franchises working towards? A nice bottom line or a probable pop fly on a power swing accompanied by a net loss to report to the share holders?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Watching Doc pitches was the only reason I watched Jay games in the last few years, when he was shipped out I completly lost interest in this team.
    Jose Bautista was glorious to watch last year.
    Joshua Priemski
    NBA blogger
    SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
    www.RufusOnFire.com/
    www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    You invest wisely to make money. Most teams paying huge luxury tax amounts could make a lot of money without swinging for the fences. Take the Raptors for example. They almost always finish in the top 15 in gate numbers and do well on T.V. What they've shown is a team can make good profits while putting a mediocre product to a strong market. Are they going to find bigger net gains by spending $20M over the tax threshold and then paying $20M in tax on top of that? I don't see how and so it brings me back to my point, what are corporate executives in sports franchises working towards? A nice bottom line or a probable pop fly on a power swing accompanied by a net loss to report to the share holders?
    Not entirely true. Pretty sure if Rogers held a shareholder's meeting and said, "Look, we know you want money. So do we. However, we think it's best to invest in this franchise for a few years and see what returns we get. No harm in trying. Could pay off big time."

You have to remember, a large portion of the shareholders are dedicated fans as well.
    Joshua Priemski
    NBA blogger
    SB Nation's Rufus on Fire
    www.RufusOnFire.com/
    www.twitter.com/HoopPlusTheHarm/

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Frankie Flowers on BT this morning said the teachers came out and said they are not selling.

not sure i trust that though... he f's up the weather forecast on a pretty regular basis.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it is not possible, but anyone else think it would be awesome if Balsille owned this team? He would be the Cuban of Canada.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Beaverboi wrote: View Post
    I know it is not possible, but anyone else think it would be awesome if Balsille owned this team? He would be the Cuban of Canada.
    YES. it was a downer when the NHL turned him down. owners who give a shit are few and far between

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    Frankie Flowers on BT this morning said the teachers came out and said they are not selling.

not sure i trust that though... he f's up the weather forecast on a pretty regular basis.
    ya.. peddie also said a couple weeks back he wasnt stepping down from MLSE. LOL

were theres smoke theres FIRE.. the story yesterday is prob. all part of the feeling out process....& also i heard the OTPF are trying to create a bidding war...

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Beaverboi wrote: View Post
    it would be great as long as he doesnt try to relocate everything to Hamilton..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Introcollapse wrote: View Post
    Not entirely true. Pretty sure if Rogers held a shareholder's meeting and said, "Look, we know you want money. So do we. However, we think it's best to invest in this franchise for a few years and see what returns we get. No harm in trying. Could pay off big time."
    There is a big difference between buying a business to run it how it's been run and proven to work and buying a business and running if differently than it's been run when they know this difference will lead to net losses. I don't follow you on this point, sorry. Of course Rogers sees an opportunity here to make money but what makes you think that opportunity involves spending huge sums of money to put the Raptors in competition with the elite teams? Luxury tax is a huge penalty. Again, why would they spend past the tax threshold and take a loss? It runs counter to everything a for profit Corporation is about.
    Last edited by Apollo; Thu Dec 2nd, 2010 at 12:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Heinz, you made me shoot beer out my nose. F'n Frankie Flowers! Crapping myself laughing. I saw him once outside the old studio on queen street. Dude is like suckling height. He literally comes up to my nipple and I'm average.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and may Rogers rot in an eternity of hellfire and being placed on hold.

Post Thanks / Like

Apollo, I don't disagree with you, but at the same time, a successful franchise is a profitable franchise. One round of the playoffs nets them an extra $5mil or something. Can only imagine what a decent run would bring in. Success pays. And if a Pension Plan was willing to spend over the cap, as BC stated, then why wouldn't Rogers at least consider it, when ALL of the successful, elite, teams in the league are over the cap, and still making HUGE profits.

Thread Information