Regarding Davis: "He’s going to surprise some people in games."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding Davis: "He’s going to surprise some people in games."

I'm excited to watch Davis make his debut tonight, but have no expectations at all.

This courtesy of Doug this morning.

So, Ed Davis tonight.

What do we know about him? Well, the consensus I’m getting from a bunch of people is that he’s skilled defensively, raw offensively and has a tendency to coast in practice a bit but show stuff in games.

That’s probably a dangerous situation for a young guy who needs to learn good practice habits because that’s where you hone skills but as one guy told me walking out of the gym yesterday:

“He’s going to surprise some people in games.”

I got a sense from a couple of people that they’d like to see him surprise some people in practice, too, but he did spend a fair amount of time working individually with Alex English after practice Monday and if he can glean anything from that Hall of Famer, it’s a good thing.

But I warn you: This is a 21-year-old kid who’s played a handful summer league games and two D League games since last February and to expect much out of him is to set yourself up for disappointment.
    Source - Click here

to expect much out of him is to set yourself up for disappointment.
    My thoughts exactly and a think a lot of people will set themselves up for disappointment.

Comment

I am looking forward to seeing how skinny (or not) he looks in a game of NBA players, as a young guy his body will be something he needs to work on.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I'm drinking the Supa Dupa Special Ed Kool Aid

The youngster was a bargain at 13 and tonight, he'll show those flashes that you rarely get to see from a rookie picked outside the top 5... All in: he's a blue chip stud!

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
          I am looking forward to seeing how skinny (or not) he looks in a game of NBA players, as a young guy his body will be something he needs to work on.
          Funny you mention that because I feel that way as well... until I look at Kevin Durant. I'm not saying that there's a comparison. I just think that the skill and mentality level will surpass that. I haven't been this excited about a rookie since VC.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
            he cant look any skinnier then Bosh... if he did then we'd hardly see him at all. LOL

Comment

I'm not expecting much at all, as long as he shows he can provide help defence or a willingness to try to I will be happy.

Comment

It could be an interesting night if he's matched up against Blatche. Not an exactly an all-star, but a pretty good test on the defensive end for Davis.

Comment

Not expecting too much from him tonight if he plays. Depending on how many minutes he will get. I'd say he'll get a few rebounds some garbage buckets, stuff like that. It's funny how people have called him Bosh 2.0 , but I don't think he'll ever put up Bosh like numbers. He's only 21 so barring any injuries, he's got a lot of time to get good. Who knows...maybe he can amazingly be the next Kevin Durant. I say that jokingly...but they have very similar frames. I'd say he has the potential to be a 15 ppg and around 10 rpg guy down the road.

Comment

Right now my only hope is that he improves his stamina. He will be good but this rookie class is full of good pieces who don't improve the players around them, hopefully, at some point, he can be one of the few from this class that can make that step. I just doubt that is in the very near future.

Comment

I'm expecting him to impact the interior D. I guess I'm setting myself up for disappointed.

Comment

i just hope davis develops into something special
                        ya dun noe

Comment

wouldn't be surpirsed if he does perform extremely well cause as he said he never wants to see the d-league again

Comment

I would be watching his defensive rotations, how hard he works on the glass, if he boxes his man out EVERY TIME, and contests EVERY SHOT he could. These are the reasons he was projected as a higher pick. The offense, while I know he has some, is not really important at this point. I'm betting he gets some "Amir" numbers, which means they come from rolling to the rim on the pick, and off offensive boards. Of course, everything will depend on how many minutes he actually gets. Hopefully a lot.

I watched both his games in the DL and I noticed he has a tendency to give out lazy passes from the top of the key that are very easily stolen for fast break points. I hope he learned from those.

Comment

You can't possibly see improvement in a players first game in the league so I have no expectations, but I do expect him to improve his game as the season progresses.
                              Last edited by Thom; Wed Dec 1, 2010, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X