View Poll Results: How Good Can Bayless Become?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • An All-Star player

    19 29.69%
  • A solid starter but not an All-Star

    33 51.56%
  • A J. Jack type player

    6 9.38%
  • A career bench roatation player

    6 9.38%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 95

Thread: How Good Can Bayless Become?

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default How Good Can Bayless Become?

    After seeing him play for the Raptors for a handful or so of games just how good do you gals/guys think that he can become?
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    ďAs a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to winĒ
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Rookie Doongler99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default the usual

    Lets do what we usually do on this forum, this week he is the new franchise player. Let's start all the talk about building the team around him and next week when he has a bad game we can start posting about how we should trade the bum. Its to early to tell anything.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Doongler99 wrote: View Post
    Lets do what we usually do on this forum, this week he is the new franchise player. Let's start all the talk about building the team around him and next week when he has a bad game we can start posting about how we should trade the bum. Its to early to tell anything.
    Maybe not if you watched him play at Arizona and for the Traiblazers.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    ďAs a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to winĒ
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Doongler99 wrote: View Post
    Lets do what we usually do on this forum, this week he is the new franchise player. Let's start all the talk about building the team around him and next week when he has a bad game we can start posting about how we should trade the bum. Its to early to tell anything.
    There's a reason why he was going top-8 in a lot of mocks. He's got a ton of talent. He very well could be the most talented player on this team outside of Bargnani. He's not a true point guard, more of a scoring guard, but he's ridiculously quick, can break guys down, good shooter, has great handles and a nose for the basket. His crossover on John Wall last night was sick. If he gets the playing time/oppourtunity, Bayless *could* become someone like a Tony Parker.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How GOOD could he become? He COULD be an all-star. He's got the tools to be that guy.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i don't know. i like his skills, quickness and tenacity but i just don't know. i get why everyone raves about his upside but if we end up with a top 10 pick and don't pick brandon knight or kemba walker because we "feel good about bayless" i will literally go apeshit

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't see him as an all-star. There are just too many good point guards. In the East, what, Derrick Rose, Rajon Rondo, Darren Collison and John Wall are all likely to become all-stars ahead of him. Further, all of those players are still getting better. Bayless would have to get much better now, and then continue to get better faster than those four before you would be able to consider him an all-star candidate at the point.

    Only way it can happen is if he takes over the starting job (a given, I suppose, if we're talking about all-star candidacy) AND the Raptors can get their record to the 50 win plateau. Then, sure, starting point on a 50 win team, with the way that he plays (ie, not like Fisher, for example, or Bibby) and he'll be considered. So it's as much on the Raps as it is on Bayless. All we can do is wait and see.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For People who votted for All-Star, Look at the list below, these are you all star PG in the league:

    Rose, Nash, Kid, William, Rondo, Paul, Wall, Parker, WestBrook

    Do you really think he is going to be as good as these guys?

    Now, a Solid Starter:

    Curry, Stucky, Miller, Nelson,Billups, Collison, Evans

    Do you really think he is as good as the guys I mentioned even as solid starters?

  9. #9
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    i don't know. i like his skills, quickness and tenacity but i just don't know. i get why everyone raves about his upside but if we end up with a top 10 pick and don't pick brandon knight or kemba walker because we "feel good about bayless" i will literally go apeshit
    I wouldn't go as far as saying that Walker isn't better than Bayless. Walker, even though listed at 6 feet, is more like 5'10", which could hurt him trying to D-up bigger and taller point guards. Brandon Knight is getting the same type of pub that Bayless was getting at Zona in his first season. They're both quick combo guards with the same body type. But to go apeshit if we pass over Kemba Walker or Brandon Knight is a little extreme.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
    For People who votted for All-Star, Look at the list below, these are you all star PG in the league:

    Rose, Nash, Kid, William, Rondo, Paul, Wall, Parker, WestBrook

    Do you really think he is going to be as good as these guys?

    Now, a Solid Starter:

    Curry, Stucky, Miller, Nelson,Billups, Collison, Evans

    Do you really think he is as good as the guys I mentioned even as solid starters?

    The poll was 'How GOOD CAN he become'? Looking at the plays he's made since his arrival, if he got the oppourtunity and the starters job, it is in my opinion that he very well COULD be an all-star.

    Billups and Nelson were ALL-STARS already.

    Curry and Evans will be future all-stars, furthermore, they play in the Western Conference. Much like Chris Paul, and Deron Williams, and Steve Nash, and Tony Parker, and Jason Kidd, and Russell Westbrook.. I could go on, but you get the point.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    His current PER as I write this is 23, which is all-star level, and probably top 20 in the league at-large. He did not get this same opportunity on his previous teams. I think he should be started until and unless he plays himself onto the bench. He's so explosive that he destroys defensive game plans. He draws fouls like a magnet draws metal.
    Last edited by Brandon; Thu Dec 2nd, 2010 at 05:06 PM.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i'm not ready to make any bold predictions for his career... but from what i've seen, at worst, he'll be a GREAT backup guard

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Many experts picked him high in the draft after going over all his stats from college and watching him play the pro scouts who
    understand what to look for in a player, saw the intangible bb IQ and Bayless has it. Wheather he becomes an all star or not he
    will play like an all star for years to come, for us.
    He is the bright future.
    He seems to know how to break down a defense, he knows when to go to the hole and lay up, he is not afraid of the three,
    he breaks out faster than JOSE, he is also a shooting guard, he is fast, he can hit the jumper, etc.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
    For People who votted for All-Star, Look at the list below, these are you all star PG in the league:

    Rose, Nash, Kid, William, Rondo, Paul, Wall, Parker, WestBrook

    Do you really think he is going to be as good as these guys?

    Now, a Solid Starter:

    Curry, Stucky, Miller, Nelson,Billups, Collison, Evans

    Do you really think he is as good as the guys I mentioned even as solid starters?
    I believe Nelson and Billups have been All-Star players.

    Evans and Collison are way over hyped and way over rated. Bayless is better than both of them.

    Bayless is a far better distributor and shooter than Stuckey. Stuckey is a better defender.

    I think Bayless at this peak will be better than Miller is now.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    ďAs a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to winĒ
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote elvispelvis wrote: View Post
    Many experts picked him high in the draft after going over all his stats from college and watching him play the pro scouts who
    understand what to look for in a player, saw the intangible bb IQ and Bayless has it. Wheather he becomes an all star or not he
    will play like an all star for years to come, for us.
    He is the bright future.
    He seems to know how to break down a defense, he knows when to go to the hole and lay up, he is not afraid of the three,
    he breaks out faster than JOSE, he is also a shooting guard, he is fast, he can hit the jumper, etc.
    Bayless is a PG who could become a good shooting one. He is not a #2 at all.

    However the most cogent point of what you posted is that Bayless has a high basketball IQ and if I might add just like Davis does.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    ďAs a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to winĒ
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bayless is very much Monta Ellis like, I don't believe he can be as good as him but I do believe that what we saw against the Wizards could make him a very solid starter as a PG for years to come.


  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It looks to me like Bayless and Bargnani are developing a bit of chemistry. You can see the play develop: Bayless kinda locks onto Bargs, Bargs catches the look, makes a move and all of a sudden Bayless tosses a quick pass to put Bargnani in a perfect, open scoring position. Saw it happen first time a few games back (don't remember which one) where he tossed a nice lob to Bargs who kinda caught it and shot it in the same motion right next to the bucket. All kinds of positives that can be taken from this.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    I believe Nelson and Billups have been All-Star players.

    Evans and Collison are way over hyped and way over rated. Bayless is better than both of them.

    Bayless is a far better distributor and shooter than Stuckey. Stuckey is a better defender.

    I think Bayless at this peak will be better than Miller is now.
    Collison may be overrated but at this point is better than Bayless (and has proven it).
    Evans is not overrated. His ability to make plays, get to the rim and finish consistently is what separates him from Bayless.
    Bayless is NOT better than both of them, AT THIS POINT. I doubt he will be better than Evans ever, simply because Evans has size (6"6 vs. 6"3).

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote AzureRealm wrote: View Post
    Collison may be overrated but at this point is better than Bayless (and has proven it).
    Evans is not overrated. His ability to make plays, get to the rim and finish consistently is what separates him from Bayless.
    Bayless is NOT better than both of them, AT THIS POINT. I doubt he will be better than Evans ever, simply because Evans has size (6"6 vs. 6"3).
    Collison is over rated and is not better than Bayless.

    Indiana is winning primarily because of Hibbert and Granger and not Collison.

    I have watched Collison play since his days at UCLA and he has always been over hyped and over rated. Fans and writers like him because he is the prototypical small quick guard.

    He is a decent PG but nothing more. I would take Bayless over him any day of the week. However I can see where some would take Collison over Bayless. I would not and we shall see over the next 5 - 10 seasons who guessed better.


    Evans sucks

    He can't do anything but drive to the basket.

    His defense sucks, his shooting sucks and he is over rated but not so much over hyped anymore.

    So he is 6'6".

    Give us a break.

    How tall was Chuck Nevitt?

    P.S.

    1. How good have the Kings played with him at the PG over the last two seasons. They have sucked.
    2. I have seen Evans and Bayless play numerous times including probably all of their games against the Lakers and Clippers since they have been in the NBA. Plus a few other games. Evans sucks. Someday he may live up to his hype but I wouldn't bet on it. Bayless is better.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Thu Dec 2nd, 2010 at 03:32 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    ďAs a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to winĒ
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    891
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like Bayless, just like everyone here, but stop comparing him to All-star's and final MVP's. He's played what four games for this team?

    I hope he becomes as good as D.J. Augustin and right now is comparable to Livingston.

    Comparing him to Parker a final's MVP is silly.

    Enjoy the kid, he'll be fun to watch as this team improves. His play also doesn't change the fact that this team needs to draft a PG.

    Note: Hollinger's Playoff odd's has the Raptors 8th. They have the same record at this time last year. So much for this being a bad team.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •