How Good Can Bayless Become?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Good Can Bayless Become?

After seeing him play for the Raptors for a handful or so of games just how good do you gals/guys think that he can become?
    An All-Star player
    29.69%
    A solid starter but not an All-Star
    51.56%
    A J. Jack type player
    9.38%
    A career bench roatation player
    9.38%
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

the usual

Lets do what we usually do on this forum, this week he is the new franchise player. Let's start all the talk about building the team around him and next week when he has a bad game we can start posting about how we should trade the bum. Its to early to tell anything.

Comment

Doongler99 wrote: View Post
      Lets do what we usually do on this forum, this week he is the new franchise player. Let's start all the talk about building the team around him and next week when he has a bad game we can start posting about how we should trade the bum. Its to early to tell anything.
      Maybe not if you watched him play at Arizona and for the Traiblazers.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Doongler99 wrote: View Post
        There's a reason why he was going top-8 in a lot of mocks. He's got a ton of talent. He very well could be the most talented player on this team outside of Bargnani. He's not a true point guard, more of a scoring guard, but he's ridiculously quick, can break guys down, good shooter, has great handles and a nose for the basket. His crossover on John Wall last night was sick. If he gets the playing time/oppourtunity, Bayless *could* become someone like a Tony Parker.

Comment

How GOOD could he become? He COULD be an all-star. He's got the tools to be that guy.

Comment

i don't know. i like his skills, quickness and tenacity but i just don't know. i get why everyone raves about his upside but if we end up with a top 10 pick and don't pick brandon knight or kemba walker because we "feel good about bayless" i will literally go apeshit
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I don't see him as an all-star. There are just too many good point guards. In the East, what, Derrick Rose, Rajon Rondo, Darren Collison and John Wall are all likely to become all-stars ahead of him. Further, all of those players are still getting better. Bayless would have to get much better now, and then continue to get better faster than those four before you would be able to consider him an all-star candidate at the point.

Only way it can happen is if he takes over the starting job (a given, I suppose, if we're talking about all-star candidacy) AND the Raptors can get their record to the 50 win plateau. Then, sure, starting point on a 50 win team, with the way that he plays (ie, not like Fisher, for example, or Bibby) and he'll be considered. So it's as much on the Raps as it is on Bayless. All we can do is wait and see.

Comment

For People who votted for All-Star, Look at the list below, these are you all star PG in the league:

Rose, Nash, Kid, William, Rondo, Paul, Wall, Parker, WestBrook

Do you really think he is going to be as good as these guys?

Now, a Solid Starter:

Curry, Stucky, Miller, Nelson,Billups, Collison, Evans

Do you really think he is as good as the guys I mentioned even as solid starters?

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  i don't know. i like his skills, quickness and tenacity but i just don't know. i get why everyone raves about his upside but if we end up with a top 10 pick and don't pick brandon knight or kemba walker because we "feel good about bayless" i will literally go apeshit
                  I wouldn't go as far as saying that Walker isn't better than Bayless. Walker, even though listed at 6 feet, is more like 5'10", which could hurt him trying to D-up bigger and taller point guards. Brandon Knight is getting the same type of pub that Bayless was getting at Zona in his first season. They're both quick combo guards with the same body type. But to go apeshit if we pass over Kemba Walker or Brandon Knight is a little extreme.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                    For People who votted for All-Star, Look at the list below, these are you all star PG in the league:

Now, a Solid Starter:

Do you really think he is as good as the guys I mentioned even as solid starters?

The poll was 'How GOOD CAN he become'? Looking at the plays he's made since his arrival, if he got the oppourtunity and the starters job, it is in my opinion that he very well COULD be an all-star.

Billups and Nelson were ALL-STARS already.

Curry and Evans will be future all-stars, furthermore, they play in the Western Conference. Much like Chris Paul, and Deron Williams, and Steve Nash, and Tony Parker, and Jason Kidd, and Russell Westbrook.. I could go on, but you get the point.

Comment

His current PER as I write this is 23, which is all-star level, and probably top 20 in the league at-large. He did not get this same opportunity on his previous teams. I think he should be started until and unless he plays himself onto the bench. He's so explosive that he destroys defensive game plans. He draws fouls like a magnet draws metal.
                      Last edited by Brandon; Thu Dec 2, 2010, 06:06 PM.

Comment

i'm not ready to make any bold predictions for his career... but from what i've seen, at worst, he'll be a GREAT backup guard

Comment

Many experts picked him high in the draft after going over all his stats from college and watching him play the pro scouts who
                          understand what to look for in a player, saw the intangible bb IQ and Bayless has it. Wheather he becomes an all star or not he
                          will play like an all star for years to come, for us.
                          He is the bright future.
                          He seems to know how to break down a defense, he knows when to go to the hole and lay up, he is not afraid of the three,
                          he breaks out faster than JOSE, he is also a shooting guard, he is fast, he can hit the jumper, etc.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post

Now, a Solid Starter:

I believe Nelson and Billups have been All-Star players.

Evans and Collison are way over hyped and way over rated. Bayless is better than both of them.

Bayless is a far better distributor and shooter than Stuckey. Stuckey is a better defender.

I think Bayless at this peak will be better than Miller is now.

Comment

elvispelvis wrote: View Post
                              Many experts picked him high in the draft after going over all his stats from college and watching him play the pro scouts who
                              understand what to look for in a player, saw the intangible bb IQ and Bayless has it. Wheather he becomes an all star or not he
                              will play like an all star for years to come, for us.
                              He is the bright future.
                              He seems to know how to break down a defense, he knows when to go to the hole and lay up, he is not afraid of the three,
                              he breaks out faster than JOSE, he is also a shooting guard, he is fast, he can hit the jumper, etc.
                              Bayless is a PG who could become a good shooting one. He is not a #2 at all.

However the most cogent point of what you posted is that Bayless has a high basketball IQ and if I might add just like Davis does.

Comment

Working...
                              X