Draft or Playoffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft or Playoffs?

I am not going to say that we are in the playoffs, but we're playing well. I like how well we are doing and wouldn't midn seeing it all year.

My big question is, what's more important for these young guys, play off experience or a draft pick? I honestly don't know. I see positives in both. What does everyone else think?

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
    I am not going to say that we are in the playoffs, but we're playing well. I like how well we are doing and wouldn't midn seeing it all year.

My big question is, what's more important for these young guys, play off experience or a draft pick? I honestly don't know. I see positives in both. What does everyone else think?
    They play their @sses off and let the chips fall where they may.

'Tanking' or worrying about a top 5 draft pick can go horribly wrong. They will have enough financial flexibility and draft picks already to possibly move up.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      They play their @sses off and let the chips fall where they may.

'Tanking' or worrying about a top 5 draft pick can go horribly wrong. They will have enough financial flexibility and draft picks already to possibly move up.
      i agree totaly. anytime a team is allowed to coast or mail it in, its never good for the players.. have them play the same way as if ur a contender & if they fall short then so be it. but never should any pro team "Tank" it just kills there integrety if u ask me. & it just breeds loosers.. kinda like Jarrett Jack..LOL
      Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Fri Dec 3, 2010, 11:05 PM.

Comment

i agree with matt52,
        making the playoffs is the kind of boost the young onez and the team needs... plus i wouldn't mind surprising all the critics that doomed us dead last :P

Comment

The pick is still more important for the team long-term, but the way the team is playing and the energy they're playing with probably won't allow them to get anything above the 8th or so unless they get lucky with the ping pong balls. I've been very pleasantly surprised with how well they've come together and how hard they're competing, including Bargnani. I'm much more concerned with the effort level and developing good habits than I am with accumulating wins.

The playoffs will come eventually, but you won't make the leap from first round fodder to deep playoff threat without sufficient talent. Whether they make it this year or next is largely irrelevant, because the core group they've got are all signed to long-term contracts (with the exception of Weems). So as much as I'm enjoying wins like the one against the Thunder tonight, they're a little bittersweet because the team could develop into something special if they found a stud in this year's draft.

Comment

I realize it was kind of a weird question, obviously we don't want the team to tank to get a high pick. That would just make fans mad. My point was to see what people think is better for a young/inexperienced team. After all is said and done will the draft or the playoffs help them more.

I realize it's a bitter/sweet question. On one hand we want to be in the playoffs, on the other hand we want to get a good pick. That's where the question comes up, which one has the bigger upside.

Comment

I realize it was kind of a weird question, obviously we don't want the team to tank to get a high pick. That would just make fans mad. My point was to see what people think is better for a young/inexperienced team. After all is said and done will the draft or the playoffs help them more.
              If you want me to pick one, I would say neither.

The most important thing for this young/inexperienced team is to learn to play hard every night. Playoffs and draft picks will take care of themselves.

If you put a gun to my head and said, "Pick one!" - playoffs.

Comment

Definately the playoffs, this team is young and if they make the playoffs now they can only get better, why couldn't one of them turn into our stud? The lottery is just that, a lottery, we might draft a bust and instill a losing attitude into the players and ward off any free agents who might be tempted to sign with a young team with potential.

Comment

I say playoffs as well. Even a strong looking pick can bust or wash out a la Oden or many others let alone have a ping pong ball fall poorly.

Comment

While unlikely, a 17 can yield a Danny Granger or 21 Michael Finley or 30 David Lee.

Comment

Why not both. We can keep the effort and let the chips fall where they may. That's something we cant control. But making a trade with one of our three big trade chips (Peja Expiring, Reggie Expiring, and the TPE) on a team that's definetly gonna be a lottery team (ie Philli,LAClips,Detroit, Cleveland) for their first rounders and a managable contract would be what BC should focus on.
                      What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

Jordan-Drexler wrote: View Post
                        Why not both. We can keep the effort and let the chips fall where they may. That's something we cant control. But making a trade with one of our three big trade chips (Peja Expiring, Reggie Expiring, and the TPE) on a team that's definetly gonna be a lottery team (ie Philli,LAClips,Detroit, Cleveland) for their first rounders and a managable contract would be what BC should focus on.
                        Teams that are definitely going to be lottery bound are highly unlikely to give up their draft pick. The only thing I could see the Raps getting from a team like that is a decent player on an overpaid contract for multiple years as the trading team is likely trying to clear cap space.

Comment

really hard to tell right now...either one seems fair. 1. Playoffs, young players get to have experience in an playoff atmosphere. 2. Draft, we still need a PG

Comment

I realize it's a bitter/sweet question. On one hand we want to be in the playoffs, on the other hand we want to get a good pick. That's where the question comes up, which one has the bigger upside.
                            As others have said the team must play it's best and as hard to win every game they play. This is a culture change and one not to be messed with. You cannot turn it on or off and no self respecting management will ask pro athletes to play less than they can for a couple of places on a draft board.

There is in the end no guarantee of a great draft pick at eg #3 nor is there any guarantee the Raps will make the playoffs. The team will find it's level and we all live with it. Nice game tonite!! Would anyone have wanted the pg throw balls away???

Comment

I am still not sure what the Raptors will look like at the end of the season. I have been so impressed with how they have played so far this season and I am strongly hoping that it lasts. But at the same time we have been fairly lucky with how things have played in to our hands so far.

We played Cleveland without Mo Williams.
                              Boston without Rondo
                              Washington without Wall
                              OKC without Durant
                              and Philadelphia once without Iguodala.

That's five of our eight wins. Although we would probably still have beaten Philadelphia (because we did when Iguodala was there). But that does have an impact.

I am hoping that it continues, but adding a high draft pick would also be ideal for us. Ideally we can make some trades to improve our depth and also move up in the draft at the same time.
                              http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Working...
                              X