Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Trade Peja=1st Round picks?

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Trade Peja=1st Round picks?

    I don't know the ins and outs of how trades work, but is there a slight possibility of using Peja to get a higer draft pick this year if we are positioned to be int he playoffs? Personally I wouldn't mind what we got back (as long as it isn't Patrick O'Bryant) and a higher first round pick.

    The only problem I can see isthat it would have to be a bad team who would want the pick, but maybe they'd find the 14.5 million off the books good. I'm not sure.

    Or are there any contenders out there who own a top 15 pick from past trades(just like Utah had last year)? Maybe they'd want Peja and would be willing to give it up.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote albertan_10 wrote: View Post
    I don't know the ins and outs of how trades work, but is there a slight possibility of using Peja to get a higer draft pick this year if we are positioned to be int he playoffs? Personally I wouldn't mind what we got back (as long as it isn't Patrick O'Bryant) and a higher first round pick.

    The only problem I can see isthat it would have to be a bad team who would want the pick, but maybe they'd find the 14.5 million off the books good. I'm not sure.

    Or are there any contenders out there who own a top 15 pick from past trades(just like Utah had last year)? Maybe they'd want Peja and would be willing to give it up.
    I put a thread up in the trade proposal forum (TOR trade partners) that discusses getting a draft pick.

    http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...trade-partners

    If TOR can move Peja for a draft pick or young players on rookie contracts (similar to Bayless) I'd do it without a second thought. Peja is not in the future of this team.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There is no way to guarantee a high pick is to wait until the Draft Lottery is held. The problem with that is that Peja will be off the books by the time that happens. If we could get a good young player for Peja (or another first rounder), then we could potentially put a package together come Draft Day. If we look back over the last few years we see teams moving up by using similar packages.

    In 2006 Portland moved up into the second pick to acquire Aldridge. They traded the 4th pick and a guy named Viktor Khryapa. Although they are trading a higher pick then we might have (if our winning trend continues), they also traded a nobody to move up. If we got a third First Round pick, it might be possible to trade our three first round picks (the two we already have and a hypothetical third pick) to move up into top three?

    Also, in 2005 the Jazz acquired the 3rd pick (Deron Williams) by trading three other first round picks (6th pick, 27th pick, and a 2006 first round pick which ended up being the 30th pick).

    Hopefully we can keep winning, but also be able to move up. Kyrie Irving, or Terrance Jones could give us another great talent to develop further.

    But our team could look very different in a couple months as Calderon (playing great), Barbosa, Peja, and potentially even Reggie could be trade bait for other teams. You never know what could happen!

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    There is no way to guarantee a high pick is to wait until the Draft Lottery is held. The problem with that is that Peja will be off the books by the time that happens. If we could get a good young player for Peja (or another first rounder), then we could potentially put a package together come Draft Day. If we look back over the last few years we see teams moving up by using similar packages.

    In 2006 Portland moved up into the second pick to acquire Aldridge. They traded the 4th pick and a guy named Viktor Khryapa. Although they are trading a higher pick then we might have (if our winning trend continues), they also traded a nobody to move up. If we got a third First Round pick, it might be possible to trade our three first round picks (the two we already have and a hypothetical third pick) to move up into top three?

    Also, in 2005 the Jazz acquired the 3rd pick (Deron Williams) by trading three other first round picks (6th pick, 27th pick, and a 2006 first round pick which ended up being the 30th pick).

    Hopefully we can keep winning, but also be able to move up. Kyrie Irving, or Terrance Jones could give us another great talent to develop further.

    But our team could look very different in a couple months as Calderon (playing great), Barbosa, Peja, and potentially even Reggie could be trade bait for other teams. You never know what could happen!
    Very good points.

    Regarding Peja (or Evans or Wright), if they are not traded by the deadline they cannot be traded obviously but with no other contracts coming on, it will give the Raptors cap space to absorb a contract. A similar situation was Mo'Pete going from NOH to OKC along with Aldrich at 11 for OKC 2 draft picks in the 20's.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Very good points.

    Regarding Peja (or Evans or Wright), if they are not traded by the deadline they cannot be traded obviously but with no other contracts coming on, it will give the Raptors cap space to absorb a contract. A similar situation was Mo'Pete going from NOH to OKC along with Aldrich at 11 for OKC 2 draft picks in the 20's.
    I would be perfectly fine taking back a bad contract if we could also move up in the draft next fall. For example, if the Clippers were high on the draft, would absorbing Baron Davis' contract be enough of a perk for them to let swap some picks with us? If Washington was high in the draft could they would not want John Wall...would taking back Gilbert Arenas be enough of a perk to let us trade up?

    A combination Playoff (developing our current players) and grabbing a high draft pick would put us in a great position for the future!

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    on top of Jenna Jameson
    Posts
    764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    I would be perfectly fine taking back a bad contract if we could also move up in the draft next fall. For example, if the Clippers were high on the draft, would absorbing Baron Davis' contract be enough of a perk for them to let swap some picks with us? If Washington was high in the draft could they would not want John Wall...would taking back Gilbert Arenas be enough of a perk to let us trade up?

    A combination Playoff (developing our current players) and grabbing a high draft pick would put us in a great position for the future!
    Really? I mean really? Taking on Baron Davis or Gilbert Arenas would have to result in 1st round picks forwarded to us forever including free lap-dances for every season ticket holder. Even then the lap dances better be damn good with none of that no-touchie-down-below stuff.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not gonna happen since his deal will expire by the time we find out what our ping-pong ball # is. He's stuck with us and is the price to pay to get Bayless out of NO. Umm, Baron Davis or Gilbert Arenas + Toronto + full touchie down there lap dances is a bad idea no matter how you cut it. Wait until those guys discover that hanging at the Republik after a tough loss would yield in them getting laid...
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    I would be perfectly fine taking back a bad contract if we could also move up in the draft next fall. For example, if the Clippers were high on the draft, would absorbing Baron Davis' contract be enough of a perk for them to let swap some picks with us? If Washington was high in the draft could they would not want John Wall...would taking back Gilbert Arenas be enough of a perk to let us trade up?

    A combination Playoff (developing our current players) and grabbing a high draft pick would put us in a great position for the future!
    The idea is what I meant but I would not want Davis or Arenas. They would mess up the culture shift that is occuring, IMO. Plus their deals are another 3 seasons after this year. Taking on a bad contract for 3 more seasons might be alright if it was in the $4-6M range but not $13-17 - again just my opinion.

    Taking on an Antawn Jamison for one year at $13M might be alright. He is a true professional and a good guy from anything I've ever heard or read about him.
    Taking on Sergio Garcia? 2 years about $6M a season?
    Lou Williams? 2 years and $5M? Nocioni? 2 yrs $6.6M?

    Those are just off the top of my head.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am in no way advocating that taking on Arenas or Baron Davis would be a good idea...but I could see that being part of the asking price from Washington and the Clippers in order to pry a top pick out of them. If we could move up and add Kyrie Irving to the Raptors simply by taking on a horrendous contract, that might not be too bad. And in terms of those contracts being for another 3 seasons, that means that in 2 seasons we would have a good trade chip in a high expiring contract.

    I doubt we get move up by taking on $5mil in contracts from someone...but I suppose it is possible.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    I am in no way advocating that taking on Arenas or Baron Davis would be a good idea...but I could see that being part of the asking price from Washington and the Clippers in order to pry a top pick out of them. If we could move up and add Kyrie Irving to the Raptors simply by taking on a horrendous contract, that might not be too bad. And in terms of those contracts being for another 3 seasons, that means that in 2 seasons we would have a good trade chip in a high expiring contract.

    I doubt we get move up by taking on $5mil in contracts from someone...but I suppose it is possible.
    Something like this?

    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=24u95u3

    Toronto gets to swap position with LAC? Or depending on how poor Davis' trade value is around the league or how desparate CHA becomes, Toronto gets Minny's 1st rounder? Personally I think Diop is the worst contract in the league, what if they took it on in something like this:

    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=2bltmvv

    Not advocating any of the above just throwing out examples.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter tonious35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Richmond Hill or Edmonton
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Fine, you can trade Peja for picks, but you gotta draft smartly with the picks. This is the difference between being a Minnesota team or being a Utah or Spurs team.

    I did not include Boston or LA because they only traded for great talent from crap teams and Stern helped them make those trades work.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,951
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My impression is that picks are going to be gold going forward with the new cba which will likely lower the cap and start off with a lower rookie salary scale. The best position therefore imo is to lower the team's commitments asap. If this hypothesis is correct then no team is likely to give up their pick for a long term (2+ yrs.) commitment. They would have to be on the cusp of a deep playoff run or are trying to impress their current star with an acquisition (CP3 or Howard are eg.) to give up picks or young talent and expiring contracts for a player/s with term left. Slim pickings I am afraid. If Philly truly wants to rebuild they could be persuaded to give up Iggy straightup for Peja. Thats the best return I can see (and I am not sold on it or wait for Green a rfa who would come cheaper I think).

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter Dr Hannibal Lecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default 1st round picks are u serious!!!

    Hey maybe we can trade peja to boston bruins and get back those picks that brian burke traded for kessel...
    Common guy...were not trading peja unless we get stud player for him,cap money is more important then 1st round picks,look what happend in maimi,anyway I see peja getting bought out and next year using that money 2 get marc gasol or kendrick perkins,I don't care who as long as he can help Bargnani move 2 the 4 spot.
    This team needs big man in the middle.
    Last edited by Dr Hannibal Lecter; Sat Dec 4th, 2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: grammar

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
    Hey maybe we can trade peja to boston bruins and get back those picks that brian burke traded for kessel...
    Common guy...were not trading peja unless we get stud player for him,cap money is more important then 1st round picks,look what happend in maimi,anyway I see peja getting bought out and next year using that money 2 get marc gasol or kendrick perkins,I don't care who as long as he can help Bargnani move 2 the 4 spot.
    This team needs big man in the middle.
    I don't see MEM not matching any offer - he is a RFA.

    Perkins would be interesting but coming off his injury, it will be interesting to see if he is the same player.

    I like the idea of Bargnani with Davis and forget about traditional 4's and 5's - that is Davis lives up to the potential he is showing and Bargnani too.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    483
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
    Hey maybe we can trade peja to boston bruins and get back those picks that brian burke traded for kessel...
    Common guy...were not trading peja unless we get stud player for him,cap money is more important then 1st round picks,look what happend in maimi,anyway I see peja getting bought out and next year using that money 2 get marc gasol or kendrick perkins,I don't care who as long as he can help Bargnani move 2 the 4 spot.
    This team needs big man in the middle.
    You mention Miami as if what they did was a common occurrence and will happen again, but we could also make the same type of statements about cap room about the following teams with a much more negative outlook. Look how creating lots of cap space did not land New York, New Jersey, Chicago, or Houston any of their top targets. Sure New York got Amare and Chicago got Boozer...but were those the deals they were wanting to get done?

    Just like the draft, cap space is a wild card as well...

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
    Hey maybe we can trade peja to boston bruins and get back those picks that brian burke traded for kessel...
    Common guy...were not trading peja unless we get stud player for him,cap money is more important then 1st round picks,look what happend in maimi,anyway I see peja getting bought out and next year using that money 2 get marc gasol or kendrick perkins,I don't care who as long as he can help Bargnani move 2 the 4 spot.
    This team needs big man in the middle.
    Bargnani is not a 4. He is a 5.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm not sure if peja goes anywhere. I think he'll stay here and just wait for his contract to expire. The new CBA and potential lockout gives BC a lot to work with financially. He will not take on another contract that will handcuff this team for years to come.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •