Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Position Do The Raptors Need To Upgrade The Most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Position Do The Raptors Need To Upgrade The Most?

Looking at the entire rotation which position do the Raptors need to upgrade the most? Keeping in mind that a number of the players are very young and inexperienced and should only continue to get better.

Multiple choices are allowed
    Power positions; i.e. #4 and #5?
    19.67%
    Wing positons; i.e. #2 and #3?
    50.82%
    Main ballhandler and distrutor; i.e. #1
    29.51%
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Dec 4, 2010, 12:37 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

For the long term of the franchise, I would say PG and wings both need to be improved.

This year's draft seems to be all about SF's and PG's. Wings:

Perry Jones
    Terrence Jones
    Harrison Barnes
    Tyler Honeycutt
    Jordan Hamilton

I would be for Terrence Jones.

PG's.

Irving
    Walker
    Knight

Irving, please.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      For the long term of the franchise, I would say PG and wings both need to be improved.

This year's draft seems to be all about SF's and PG's. Wings:

Perry Jones
      Terrence Jones
      Harrison Barnes
      Tyler Honeycutt
      Jordan Hamilton

I would be for Terrence Jones.

PG's.

Irving
      Walker
      Knight

Irving, please.
      It seems to me as long as Triano doesn't screw up the current rotation by changing it the only way that BC will be able to draft any of the players that you mentioned is to trade up in the draft into the lottery or trade a player for a lottery pick.

Not saying that might not happen; i..e trading into the lottery.

We shall see.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
        It seems to me as long as Triano doesn't screw up the current rotation by changing it the only way that BC will be able to draft any of the players that you mentioned is to trade up in the draft into the lottery or trade a player for a lottery pick.

Not saying that might not happen; i..e trading into the lottery.

We shall see.
        As of now, Honeycutt, Hamilton, and Walker would be possibilities. There are also some decent bigs that would be interesting to a team like Detroit that needs size.

You could throw in Valanciunas, Monteijunas, Vesley, Kanter, Sullinger, and Williams as bigs who have just as much chance to go as high as some of the SF's and Wings.

Also the Raps could get lucky again and have a player like Davis drop.

Comment

While I dont think any of them are perfect, I think the bargnani, amir, davis rotation has the potential to blossom into something otherworldly.

Buddahfan, no matter how hard you try, I will not let your propaganda make me hate Amir.

Hes so much better without the hype.

I think the Calderon, Bayless, Barbosa trio should be allowed more time before I can make a prediction. But I'm really rooting for it to work.

The huge weakness to me is in the wings. One of weems or derozan needs to go. I dont trust them as consistent or legit wings. What we could really use is a superstar talent as one of the wings. To me, that would make us a playoff team THIS YEAR.

And everyones potential fulfilled beyond this year, would make us a force to be reconned with.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            As of now, Honeycutt, Hamilton, and Walker would be possibilities. There are also some decent bigs that would be interesting to a team like Detroit that needs size.

You could throw in Valanciunas, Monteijunas, Vesley, Kanter, Sullinger, and Williams as bigs who have just as much chance to go as high as some of the SF's and Wings.

Also the Raps could get lucky again and have a player like Davis drop.
            Any player is a possibility for the Raptors to draft in the 2011 if they are up on the board when the Raptors turn to draft comes up.

I just don't see them getting a lottery pick in 2011 unless they trade up for one.

Given their current roster and assuming that Barbosa returns for 2011-12 I don't think that the Raptors will be able to draft high enough in 2011 to draft anyone who will be able to help them in 2011 unless they trade up for a top five pick or trade for a top five pick.

Comment

I think we need either a good pass first point guard, or an extremely athletic forward/guard who can light up and score in masses. Just a great scorer. We don't need bigmen, but we could always draft a center in the second round, or if we have a pick in the 15-20 range and Kanter is still available...

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                I think we need either a good pass first point guard, or an extremely athletic forward/guard who can light up and score in masses. Just a great scorer. We don't need bigmen, but we could always draft a center in the second round, or if we have a pick in the 15-20 range and Kanter is still available...
                Given that the current starting rotation is scoring thusly in the three games that they have started I don't agree that the Raptors need a scorer

Team - Ave Points PPGA---Pts Scored by Raptors-----Difference
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Heat--------------93-----------100----------------------------Plus 7
                Wiz---------------105----------127----------------------------Plus 22
                Thunder----------103----------111----------------------------Plus 8
                -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Averages---------100----------113----------------------------Plus 13
                ============================================

So the current starting rotation is scoring 13 more point per game against the teams which the current the rotation has started against than these teams give up on the average per game. In addition the current starting rotation is averaging four more PPG than the Suns who currently lead the NBA in PPG.

The Suns lead the league in PPG with 109

Two of those three games were against top notch playoff teams

It seems to me that the Raptors don't need more scoring as long as Triano stays with the current starting rotation.

What they need to do in my opinion is to continue to play hard and continue to improve their team defense.

Improving the efficiency on offense at the wing positions and improving the defense at the wing positions is where I see their biggest need.
                Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Dec 4, 2010, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Don't sleep on the big's in the NCAA this year, Canada's own Tristan Thompson is playing amazing so far.....
                  as far as positioning go , despite Jose play lately i still think we need a solidified pg preferably a pass first type, that can grow along with young onez.....we are 'i think' set when it comes to big man, we have pretty much all the bigs needed etc... a scorer, a rebounder, an athlete, and a mix of all..

“They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds.”

Comment

Another way of looking at this is to see who we will likely have left under contract after this year and next, assuming there's a lockout. so far we have

bigs: Barg, Amir, Davis, Alabi (last year of rookie contract)
                    wings: Derozan (last yr of rookie contract), Weems (needs extension), Kleiza
                    pg: Calderon (last yr of contract), Bayless (needs extension)

I think we should draft for a replacement of weems or bayless if either of their negotiation gets too expensive for our taste. Personally I dont' think weems or kleiza is starter material at the wings position (both are good rotation players), so I'll aim for a starting wing. Failing that I'm good with a back up pg so we can trade calderon as an expiring contract in 2 yrs time.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                      It seems to me that the Raptors don't need more scoring as long as Triano stays with the current starting rotation.

What they need to do in my opinion is to continue to play hard and continue to improve their team defense.

Improving the efficiency on offense at the wing positions and improving the defense at the wing positions is where I see their biggest need.
                      I would agree scoring is far from the Raptors concern however it would be nice to have another guy who is going to get you 18-22 per night. The Raptors have a lot of different players who step up each night, which is great, but it would be nice to have a couple of constants.

Defense at the wing and PG are definitely the biggest needs. That is why I have my man crush on for Terrence Jones - 10rebs, 2.5blks, and 1.5stl per game thus far.

Comment

Abdullah.is.solo wrote: View Post
                        Don't sleep on the big's in the NCAA this year, Canada's own Tristan Thompson is playing amazing so far.....
                        as far as positioning go , despite Jose play lately i still think we need a solidified pg preferably a pass first type, that can grow along with young onez.....we are 'i think' set when it comes to big man, we have pretty much all the bigs needed etc... a scorer, a rebounder, an athlete, and a mix of all..
                        Disagree, I think Jose could be the pg of the future

Comment

Nick wrote: View Post
                          Disagree, I think Jose could be the pg of the future
                          i think even Jose looks baffled by that comment LOL

Comment

No matter where the Raps choose, go for the best talented player available at either the sf or pg positions. Having 2 #1s we choose one of each. This obviously also depends on any trades that BC might swing prior to the draft. Picking out names today is fun but would bear no resemblance to what/who might climb or fall 6 mos. from now, our draft position or members of the Raps end of the year.

I mentioned this once before, keep an eye on guard Cory Joseph of Toronto playing at Texas. He is under the radar right now.

Comment

f91ultra wrote: View Post
                              Another way of looking at this is to see who we will likely have left under contract after this year and next, assuming there's a lockout. so far we have

bigs: Barg, Amir, Davis, Alabi (last year of rookie contract)
                              wings: Derozan (last yr of rookie contract), Weems (needs extension), Kleiza
                              pg: Calderon (last yr of contract), Bayless (needs extension)

I think we should draft for a replacement of weems or bayless if either of their negotiation gets too expensive for our taste. Personally I dont' think weems or kleiza is starter material at the wings position (both are good rotation players), so I'll aim for a starting wing. Failing that I'm good with a back up pg so we can trade calderon as an expiring contract in 2 yrs time.
                              DeRozan's contract runs through 2013-14 with a Team Option in 2012-13 and QO available in 2013-14

Calderon's contract runs through 2012-13.

Among the current rotation players Weems is the only one whose contract expires after this season. Barbosa has a Player Option for next season.

Comment

Working...
                              X