Bill Simmons's Take on the Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Simmons's Take on the Raptors

Simmons is kind of a goof sometimes ,but i kind of agree with his take on Calderon's situation right now with the Raps. I think he defenitly needs a change and now that Banks is playing all right it would be good to move him and His contract somewhere else.

I like the trade too going to LA for Morrison's EC and Farmar who is a good back up PG.

"Toronto Raptors (group B)

2009-10 payroll: $68.2 million
    Projected 2010-11 payroll: $47.5 million (not counting Chris Bosh's $17.1 million player option for 2010)

• VP's Take: As I wrote last July, there's nothing more dangerous than a GM worried about his job who dumps the team's long-term interests to protect the short-term. Everything Bryan Colangelo did last summer screamed, "I need to keep my job!!!" Now the Raptors are hamstrung with an overpaid, below-.500 roster that doubles as the worst defensive team of this decade -- seriously, what did they think would happen when Jose Calderon, Hedo Turkoglu and Andrea Bargnani were three of the team's best four guys? -- and Chris Bosh seems like a mortal lock to leave. You can't do the Frank Drebin Memorial "Please disperse, nothing to see here, please disperse" routine. Raptors fans are too smart. They get it.

• Mitigating Factor: By dealing Bosh, Colangelo would be effectively saying, "I made some mistakes, we need to press the RESET button and start over." Translation: "Fire me, I deserve it." Since nobody would ever sabotage their own job like that, he will probably keep Bosh, make a smaller trade and pray things turn around. If they don't, the Raptors will get nothing for him. Not fair to the Raptor Truthers. At all.

• VP's Verdict: Bosh doesn't have nearly as much trade value as Chris Paul because he's obviously fleeing in six months. Still, they should be using him to retool and dump the Marcus Banks/Reggie Evans ECs ($9.8 million owed in 2011). A trade like Bosh, Reggie Evans and Marcus Banks to Houston for T-Mac, Luis Scola, a 2010 No. 1 pick and $3 million makes a little sense, but Colangelo would never do it. He'd be better off keeping Bosh and making believe he might stay. One scenario DOES make sense though …

• Fake Trade 6: Bosh/Evans/Banks to Dallas for Erik Dampier (team option for 2010-11, making him valuable since he can be used as an EC for a summer trade to a team that would then waive him to chop payroll) and Josh Howard (EC). I like this one because it keeps Toronto competitive for 2009-10 and again this summer if they want to flip Dampier (for instance, they could send him to New York for a Gallinari/Curry package). And for Dallas … I mean … could you win the title with Dirk, Bosh, Marion, Kidd and Terry as your crunch-time five? I feel like you could. Even with Dirk's hair looking like it does.

And while we're here …

• Fake Trade 7a: Jose Calderon to the Lakers for Adam Morrison (EC), Jordan Farmar and $3 million. Time for Toronto to cut the cord with Calderon (owed $37.5 million through 2013), the league's No. 1 desperately-needs-a-change-of-scenery guy right now. He can't defend anyone, has lost his mojo and plays with zero confidence against the Nashes and Pauls. I don't know what happened to him. (And yes, I know his stats aren't much different than they were in 2007. I just know what I see.) But in L.A.? He could be rejuvenated as a Steve Kerr-type shooter in that system; he'd have shot-blockers to protect him defensively; he'd have Phil Jackson rebuilding his confidence and giving him Gabriel Garcia Marquez books; and he'd get reunited with Team Spain buddy Pau Gasol. Meanwhile, Toronto makes money this year, saves 2011-2012-2013 cash and doesn't lose much with Farmar and Jarrett Jack running the show. Win-win.

• Fake Trade 7b: Calderon to the Celtics for Eddie House (EC), Tony Allen (EC), Glen Davis and $3 million. Celts get the third guard they need; Toronto dumps Calderon's contract, pockets $3 million and gets a useful banger in Big Baby.

(Crap. That's not nearly as good as the Lakers trade. I feel sick. Forget I mentioned this.)"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...3&sportCat=nba
    "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Bill Simmons makes some interesting points but he doesn't know enough about the Raptors and does a lot of speculation. Since last year he's been talking about Colangelo's expiring contract and that his moves are based on him securing his own job... the guy has no idea what's going on and what he said offers little substance in my opinion.

I know the team is far from the 50+ win team BC claimed, but I'd love to see them making some sort of a run just to quiet down all the haters that seem to be accumulated at ESPN. A lot of what they say is realistic and hard to dispute but they offer very pessimistic scenarios and always assume that Toronto will get the low-end of a deal and that Toronto is only interested in Europeans.

Comment

abstract wrote: View Post
      Bill Simmons makes some interesting points but he doesn't know enough about the Raptors and does a lot of speculation. Since last year he's been talking about Colangelo's expiring contract and that his moves are based on him securing his own job... the guy has no idea what's going on and what he said offers little substance in my opinion.

I know the team is far from the 50+ win team BC claimed, but I'd love to see them making some sort of a run just to quiet down all the haters that seem to be accumulated at ESPN. A lot of what they say is realistic and hard to dispute but they offer very pessimistic scenarios and always assume that Toronto will get the low-end of a deal and that Toronto is only interested in Europeans.

Yeah the Bosh Deal is stupid and Flipping Dampier for Galliniri just because he thinks Toronto is just after europeans is kind of stupid but i do agree with him on the Jose Calderon assumption. Jose is injured right now so his value is low but he has been terrible this year TO's are up and cant defend at all i hope he gets moved this year.

As much as i'd like to see this team succeed and make a run to make the haters quite down, mind you Toronto has been hated since they came to the league !! It's not going to happen theyre just too many things wrong i can only see a .500 team that will go out in the first round.
      "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Comment

His analysis of Bryan Colangelo's mindset is pretty amusing. Jose to Lakers or Boston makes sense, but I don't see how what he's proposing coming back will make much difference to the Raptors win/total. The possibility of Baby Davis is interesting but I feel that he's a system-guy as much as anybody, throw him on the Raptors team under Triano and he'll be lost.

Comment

In all the scenarios he presented I see the Raptors losing more than they are now.

Comment

I guess Jose kind of knows how T.J. felt in 2008 when Jose was the cat's meow.

Comment

Working...
            X