If Raps make playoffs, Bargs is all-star next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Raps make playoffs, Bargs is all-star next year

If the Raptors make the playoffs the team/players will get some serious love from the US media. Since the rest of the world only know about bosh's 20-10 and not all his flaws, it would be a complete shock (to actually finnish better than last year). Guys like Bargs, Jose, Barbosa (veteren guys) would gain a lot of respect in the league.

For example, because of the Bucks surprise last year, Bogut and Jennings got a lot of love. He got injured, but if Bogut had any kind of half decent start this year, he would get the nod over Horford/Noah for all-star Centre, even though their stats would probably be pretty similar.

I think thats the kind of impact making the playoffs would do to Barg's preception throughout the league. All of a sudden 20/7 will be given preference over maybe more well-rounded players like horford 18/10. Whether or not it "should' hey thats a different story, but I think it would happen.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Ruuuuu; Sun Dec 5, 2010, 09:58 AM.

I think he can make it this year!
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

hmmm....I think Horford and Noah (especially Noah) would get chosen over him for backup C. I guess he's a longshot for the last F position, but I dont see it happening.

But like I was saying his "perception" around the league will go up a lot if the Raps make the playoffs, you're already starting to see him get more props from opposing players and coaches. And like it or not, nobody looks at advanced stats, defensive rotations etc for all-star selection. Its all about basic Pts/Rebs/Asts and reputation.

If Raps make the playoffs this year, and Bargs gets like 21/7 next year before the break, I would say he's an almost lock.

Comment

Play-offs, plus underdog, plus foreign = All star appearance?

Comment

Yes, you could say that...

How about this too:

Playoffs + upset vs ORL = All star starter over Dwight?

Comment

Ruuuuu wrote: View Post
            Yes, you could say that...

How about this too:

Playoffs + upset vs ORL = All star starter over Dwight?
            An upset as in the playoffs? The ballot ends half way through the year, so there would be no way to know. But if we have a .500 record against winning teams...

Comment

What if Raps upset ORL this year (and Bargs avg 30-15, and dunks on DW in game 7 with 0.1 seconds left to win the game)

Then Bargs would have a chance to start over Dwight next year

Comment

ruuuuu wrote: View Post
                what if raps upset orl this year (and bargs avg 30-15, and dunks on dw in game 7 with 0.1 seconds left to win the game)

then bargs would have a chance to start over dwight next year
                lol

Comment

Even if he doesn't make the all-star, he will have earned the respect of opposing bigs and coaches for his ability to score...if they haven't already. That's if he can keep up his level of play for the whole season. So far so good.

As for playoffs...it would be great if we made it, but it's still a long season. So I'm crossing my fingers but not getting my hopes up. With the effort the team is putting out though, it's not hard at all to cheer for them and be proud.

Comment

While I have been voting for him, I think it would be a miracle if Bargs ever gets voted an all-star. its a popularity contest and since it seems that most Raptor fans hate him, I can't see how he can get enough votes.

Maybe if Bargs somehow got on Jersey Shore?
                    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

If the Raptors make the playoffs the team/players will get some serious love from the US media. Since the rest of the world only know about bosh's 20-10 and not all his flaws, it would be a complete shock (to actually finnish better than last year). Guys like Bargs, Jose, Barbosa (veteren guys) would gain a lot of respect in the league.

For example, because of the Bucks surprise last year, Bogut and Jennings got a lot of love. He got injured, but if Bogut had any kind of half decent start this year, he would get the nod over Horford/Noah for all-star Centre, even though their stats would probably be pretty similar.

I think thats the kind of impact making the playoffs would do to Barg's preception throughout the league. All of a sudden 20/7 will be given preference over maybe more well-rounded players like horford 18/10. Whether or not it "should' hey thats a different story, but I think it would happen.

Thoughts?
                      When they made it in the past five years the team and players didn't get love. They were called overachievers.

Bargnani is competing against Dwight Howard for votes. No way he gets in by way of the fans. His only hope is with the coaches and there are a bunch of other fine choices besides him.

Comment

Why is there so many Bargnani all star posts? I'm not dogging the guy, he's been very active and productive of late, but come on...you have to both overvalue Bargs and undervalue Howard, Noah, Bogut, Horford to think he would be an all star.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          When they made it in the past five years the team and players didn't get love. They were called overachievers.

Bargnani is competing against Dwight Howard for votes. No way he gets in by way of the fans. His only hope is with the coaches and there are a bunch of other fine choices besides him.
                          I think bosh did get kind of a boost after that. He went from border line all star to perennial all-star and that playoff season helped a lot with that. We're talking about people's opinions here so its hard to quantify. But again look at the Bogut example, if Bogut had been healthy and been getting like 16/10, dont you think he would get the nod over Noah/Horford this year?

And yeah for sure, Im talking about the backup Centre spot (Dwight has the starting spot locked up for years probably)

Krix wrote: View Post
                          Why is there so many Bargnani all star posts? I'm not dogging the guy, he's been very active and productive of late, but come on...you have to both overvalue Bargs and undervalue Howard, Noah, Bogut, Horford to think he would be an all star.
                          Well I dont know what the others were about, the point I wanted to bring up here was that making the playoffs (even squeaking in 8th seed) I think would give him the boost needed to get in. Like I said, whether or not he is actually better than those other guys you mentioned is a separate story, I am strictly talking about being named an all-star here.

All-star comes down to: Pts/Rebs/Asts and general reputation

If Raps make playoffs and Bargs has like 20/7 next year before the break, I think he will be named to the team (over guys like Horford and Bogut who will be getting more like 18/10 and some people might say are actually better players).

Comment

I don't know Ruuuuu, even with your scenario it's hard to believe he'll make it. You're saying 2 pts is more highly regarded than 3 rebounds. Furthermore even if the Raptors make the post season both Hawks and Milwaukee are more likely to be in there as well.

Comment

I think bosh did get kind of a boost after that. He went from border line all star to perennial all-star and that playoff season helped a lot with that. We're talking about people's opinions here so its hard to quantify.
                              His stats determined him getting into the game. He was totally eclipsing all other options on the stats sheet. It was impossible for coaches to ignore what he was doing. The playoff appearance did nothing to help in my honest opinion. For one, he stunk in the playoffs. For two, his team got their asses handed to them in the playoffs. I get where you're coming from with exposure but that's important to the fans decision, not the coaches. We've established that Bargnani will never beat out Howard and so Bargnani will depend on the coaches and the coaches see him enough during the season to make the call. I highly doubt when they do make the call that they're thinking back to a year prior when his team was getting the beating of all beatings in the 1st round.

Comment

Working...
                              X