No announcement yet.

If Raps make playoffs, Bargs is all-star next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just know that this year he is not seriously going to be considered. However, if the Raps made the playoffs and he had similar stats next year, I could see him named by the coaches. Its hard to prove that though b/c its coaches opinions, its just the feel I get but whatever...I guess the consensus for now is that a playoff birth wouldn't gurantee it then.

He's actually in a good situation to be in the mix though.

Over the next couple years, Assuming Dwight is that starting C, he really only needs to beat out Horford/Noah/Bogut for 1-2 remaining spots. I think he already has the edge on Lopez and Hibbert (again just purely for all-star naming). And unless Im forgetting someone, there's no big Centre prospects in the East on the horizon (Favors looks like he will take some time).

Comment

Ruuuuu wrote: View Post
      I just know that this year he is not seriously going to be considered. However, if the Raps made the playoffs and he had similar stats next year, I could see him named by the coaches. Its hard to prove that though b/c its coaches opinions, its just the feel I get but whatever...I guess the consensus for now is that a playoff birth wouldn't gurantee it then.

He's actually in a good situation to be in the mix though.

Over the next couple years, Assuming Dwight is that starting C, he really only needs to beat out Horford/Noah/Bogut for 1-2 remaining spots. I think he already has the edge on Lopez and Hibbert (again just purely for all-star naming). And unless Im forgetting someone, there's no big Centre prospects in the East on the horizon (Favors looks like he will take some time).
      I'm sure he'll get consideration this year and next year if he posts similar stats but I still don't see where the playoffs fit into it. Like I said, coaches aren't like fans or in other words, people who don't get to see players play unless they're on national U.S. television. Coaches get to see these guys up close and personal many times during the season and then they're watching game film and scouting. If I'm a coach I don't see how knowing the guy played the previous year in round one alters my opinion of the player. Shannon Brown won a ring last year but is he better than Shane Battier?

And consider this. How on earth is he ever going to beat out Joakim Noah the way that guy is playing? I don't see it ever happening unless Bargnani figures out how to rebound well. Let's assume he can't beat out Howard or Noah but let's assume the All-Star team would take three centers. Here's the list of players he would be competing against:

- Al Horford
      - Josh Smith
      - Kevin Garnett
      - Andrew Bogut
      - Chris Bosh
      - Roy Hibbert
      - Brook Lopez
      - Andrew Blatche

I'm not sure how anything can be guaranteed. The competition is stiff. I'm not sure "20 PPG" has the same intoxicating effect on the coaches as it does the fans.

Comment

i'd prefer if he didn't make the all-star team, and made one of the all-nba teams instead.

its like the homecoming ball vs. the dean's list.

one is a popularity contest, the other awards real accomplishment and contribution.

Comment

I think only the starters are decided based on popularity. All-NBA is decided in a similar fashion as the All-Star reserves. I think All-NBA will be even more difficult because then he's competing against the whole league.

Comment

I think I disagree with you about how the Coaches select the reserves. They ARE swayed by the normal pts/rebs/asts. Even though they know a lot more about the players, thats just how all-star games work.

Before Bosh put up stats that made him an unavoidable choice, he was just a good player on a bad team putting up good stats, the coaches must have knew that. And how did David Lee make it last year? The coaches didn't factor in that his stats were inflated playing in D'antoni system, or that he isn't too good defensively. 20+10 = automatic all star IMO. How many of those players you mentioned above would you (or coaches) say David Lee is actually better than?

In Bargs case he is more likely to get 22/8 before he ever gets 20/10. If he ever gets 22/8, I would be shocked if he didn't make the All Star team, regardless if those other guys are actually better players (except Blache, common bro)

So Im looking at it in terms of numbers like that. So ok, lets say 20/7 is still a bit low. What about 21/7, hypothetically coming off a year he was the #1 option for a surprise playoff team...yeah I would have to say he would be a strong candidate for one of the reserves.
            Last edited by Ruuuuu; Tue Dec 7, 2010, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              I think only the starters are decided based on popularity. All-NBA is decided in a similar fashion as the All-Star reserves. I think All-NBA will be even more difficult because then he's competing against the whole league.
              the all-star reserves are picked by votes from the head coaches... all-nba is picked by votes from sportswriters and journalists

i may be wrong, the crippling firewalls on my work computers prevent me from actually looking it up

either way, you are right. it would be more difficult to make one of the all-nba teams. hence why i'd prefer if he made it, over the all-star game.

Comment

And how did David Lee make it last year? The coaches didn't factor in that his stats were inflated playing in D'antoni system, or that he isn't too good defensively. 20+10 = automatic all star IMO.
                One could argue that David Lee played out of his mind last year and legitimately earned that spot. Just because he posted the numbers doesn't necessarily mean it was why he got in. The guy had a monster year in the paint and in terms of efficiency. We're not talking about a guy who got his by shear bulk volume of opportunities, he shot 55% from the field and added some range to his offense.

In Bargs case he is more likely to get 22/8 before he ever gets 20/10. If he ever gets 22/8, I would be shocked if he didn't make the All Star team, regardless if those other guys are actually better players (except Blache, common bro)

So Im looking at it in terms of numbers like that. So ok, lets say 20/7 is still a bit low. What about 21/7, hypothetically coming off a year he was the #1 option for a surprise playoff team...yeah I would have to say he would be a strong candidate for one of the reserves.
                Rebounding is what is stopping Bargnani from making the game. He's at a disadvantage on the offensive glass due to his style of game. On the defensive glass he needs to start thinking. Rebounding is a science and not about luck. I'm not sure he knows this.

Anyway, I see where you're coming from. Stats can sometimes be a reflection of skill, sometimes of situation and sometimes of both. I think more goes into than the coaches scanning the stats sheet though. We see guys get snubbed every year and the media's response sometimes is basically "WTF? That guy posted better numbers yet he didn't get the nod?"

Comment

All Star Dre

The votes keep coming in, and things are looking bright for our true superstar, Bargs.

They way the other C's are playing in the East, I have a hunch it will be down to Bargs vs Horford for coaches vote.

What do you think? Can our boy make it to the big weekend in Hollywood? We all know he deserves too.

Comment

i guess why not.....I mean they dont play defence in all-star games anyway so bargs should fit in nicely...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Rebounding is what is stopping Bargnani from making the game. He's at a disadvantage on the offensive glass due to his style of game. On the defensive glass he needs to start thinking. Rebounding is a science and not about luck. I'm not sure he knows this.
                      Yeah its his rebounding thats holding him back from all the glorly haha, probably millions of dollars too (20-10 player is max money apparently). His agent must cry after games he plays 35 mins and gets 2 boards.

True, he definitely does not know the "science" of rebounding. I made this point somewhere else a while back: when have you ever seen him just grab an offensive board due to positioning on the weak side of the rim?

I mean as bad as he is at other things, you have at least seen him block a shot or make a proper rotation. But I literally have NEVER SEEN HIM grab an offensive rebound by just carving out space around the rim, and having the ball just drop in his lap (and they put small guys on him!!!). If you try that all game, 1-2 off boards will just eventually fall to you. Anytime Bargs grabs an offensive reb, its because he runs in from somewhere and out jumps someone. That is why he barely gets any.

If he just made this minor adjustment (ie. getting in proper postion near the rim, when people dont/cant throw it in to him after posting up) he would get approx 1-2 more offensive boards a game. And for a guy like bargs, an offensive board around the rim means a guaranteed 2pts or a trip to the line (so lets say 1-3 more pts a game).

So I guess what I am saying, is that without improving a lick on anything else, just making this minor adjustment, he could be like a 22/7 - 23/8 player TODAY!!! without doing anything else!!! Its freakin MINDBOGGLING!!!!
                      Last edited by Ruuuuu; Wed Dec 8, 2010, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Bargnani will never and should never make it over Bogut, Horford, and Noah. Hibbert is probably more deserving as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X