Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Barbosa-Turkoglu trade one of the best of all-time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Nope.

Not even close.

The Bayless trade was far better
    The trade for Weems and that other guy was a lot better

So just in the last two seasons BC has two trades that will far more beneficial to the Raptors over the long haul than the Barbosa trade.
    You have to consider what we lost in those trades. If you consider a 'useless' player a 0, and a good player a 1, Turkoglu is a -1. In those trades we didn't lose anything and gained some nice players, but in the Turkoglu trade we lost a horrible player and gained a decent player. Let's just oversimplify it here, the Hedo trade would be 1 - (-1) = 2. The Weems or Bayless trade is 1 - 0 = 1. I don't know if you get what I mean, but getting rid of Hedo and getting a decent player for him is nearly impossible, getting lucky on small trades happens.

Comment

Nope.

Not even close.

So just in the last two seasons BC has two trades that will far more beneficial to the Raptors over the long haul than the Barbosa trade.
      and that other guy? You mean Amir? How could you not possibly not know that?

Comment

raptorsfan4life wrote: View Post
        and that other guy? You mean amir? How could you not possibly not know that?
        lol

Comment

LOL those threads of hope always followed by gawed awful performances as if they were actually jinxed, very bad game by Barbosa against the Knicks after a great performance against OKC.

This trade has long term implications pending on what Colangelo does with Barbosa expiring contract.

Comment

Nope.

Not even close.

Getting Turk off the books for the next 4 years - eventhough he gave him the contract is besides the point - was phenomenal.

The other two trades are very good as well. I think this would be a three-way tie.

Comment

Does it lose some of it's potential to amaze (they got older, slower and more expensive without getting boards or D? Seriously?) when you realize that Lon Babby is Hedo's agent and that he is also the GM of the Suns post Kerr?

Still can't believe this deal went through. I thought we'd be stuck watching Hedo for at least 4 more years.
              LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Krix wrote: View Post
                Wow...you guys make BC sound like a very good GM...
                That's because he's on his way to being one...

Comment

for BC? yes, though the greatness of the trade is mitigated by the fact that BC signed turkododo in the first place.

for the raps? no, i'd give that to the AD for bender deal.

of all-time? like in league history? dirk for tractor, pippen for olden polynice, the chief and mchale for a pick, the doctor for cash, and on and on and on. i expect that's not what you meant though.

Comment

it was a great trade for the raps, and arguably the best of the year.

sorry buddha, i gotta put it above bayless.. and im loving bayless... but we gave up jack, who was no slouch, and contributed to the team.. on top of that, he was a high character dude.. he wasnt going to take the raptors anywhere, but he also wasnt holding them back

for barbosa we gave up turk... to say we got barbosa for nothing is a MASSIVE understatement.

for barbosa, a solid contributor, the raps gave up a detriment to the team both on and off the court, and a very long and expensive contract.

all the positives of getting a bayless don't even come close to the value of getting rid of turk's negatives

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post

sorry buddha, i gotta put it above bayless.. and im loving bayless... but we gave up jack, who was no slouch, and contributed to the team.. on top of that, he was a high character dude.. he wasnt going to take the raptors anywhere, but he also wasnt holding them back

for barbosa we gave up turk... to say we got barbosa for nothing is a MASSIVE understatement.

for barbosa, a solid contributor, the raps gave up a detriment to the team both on and off the court, and a very long and expensive contract.

all the positives of getting a bayless don't even come close to the value of getting rid of turk's negatives
                      Agreed.

If I am not mistaken, the Raps also received a traded player exception in the Turk/Barbosa deal. That TPE was then used to get Anderson, who became part of the Jack/Bayless trade. Essentially you could argue that had the Turk/Barbosa trade NOT gone down, the Raps would not have Bayless now, which makes it an even better trade for BC.

Comment

Agreed. Not even close....

Nope.

Not even close.

I agree. This one in nowhere near the best. It was a good bailout trade that may lead to a dead weight contract at some point when Barbosa has the surgery. My top five:

#5. 2006:
                        INBOUND
                        Antonio Davis (expiring contact)

OUTBOUND(NYC)
                        Jalen Rose ($32.6M remaining)

#4. 1996:
                        INBOUND
                        Doug Christie
                        Herb Williams
                        cash

OUTBOUND(NYC)
                        Willie Anderson
                        Victor Alexander.

#3. 1998:
                        INBOUND
                        Kenny Anderson
                        Alvin Williams
                        Gary Trent
                        two first-round draft picks
                        one second-round draft pick
                        cash

OUTBOUND(Portland)
                        Damon Stoudamire
                        Walt Williams
                        Carlos Rogers

#2. 1999:
                        INBOUND

Antonio Davis

OUTBOUND(INDIANA)
                        Jonathan Bender

#1. 1998
                        INBOUND
                        Vince Carter

OUTBOUND
                        Antawn Jamison

#5 is a REAL bailout trade and one that led Colangelo to Toronto so he could go on to make million more of his own.
                        Last edited by Apollo; Mon Dec 6, 2010, 02:14 PM.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post

I never liked Jack's game before he came to the Raptors and liked it even less when he played for the Raptors. Bayless is gong to be very good. In my opinion the Raptors would never have gotten into the playoffs with Jack starting and I mean never.

I think with Calderon back starting for now and Bayless the Raptors will become a playoff team. I have an advantage here. I have seen Bayless play since his days at Arizona. In my opinion the kid is going to become one of the better PGs in league. Not only is he talented but he has a high basketball IQ which a team needs it PGs to have if the team wants to become a playoff team. Jack in my opinion does not have a high basketball IQ and is not a good passer. He is a combo guard. Bayless is a true PG who can shoot thus we have seem he and Jose on the court together. Jose and Bayless can be more effective than Jose and DeMar but still I doubt that the Raptors will use Bayless at the #2 anymore than they have to.

It is very important for a team's PG to play within the flow of the game which Bayless does a lot better than Jack does.

Every Raptors fan hated Hedo and with very good reason. So he was a big gain by subtraction and took a lot of money in future salary with him. I like Barbosa's game but he may not be around after this season and he is not exactly young.

In my opinion the trade for Bayless will have a much more significant favorable impact for the Raptors over the next several seasons and longer if he stays with the Raptors when his current contract is over, then the dumping of Pizza Man for Barbosa.

In the short term I think that the Raptors now have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs this season, whereas with Jack starting no way do I think that the Raptors would have made the playoffs this season.

So it seems to me that short term and long term if Bayless stays with the Raptors that trade will be a lot better than the dumping of Hedo for for Barbosa.

Got to remember that there was talk of a buyout of Hedo's contract, so I think he would have been gone regardless of whether BC was able to make a trade for him or not. This was not the case with Jack. The Raptors would have kept him probably starting for the rest of the season unless another trade came up.

I think that the trade for Bayless was better.
                          Last edited by Buddahfan; Mon Dec 6, 2010, 03:05 PM.
                          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
                          X