Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kleiza vs Sonny

Raptors Republic Starter knickz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

sonny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this shouldn't even be debated...faster and more athletic

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

If you watch Kleiza during the game he usually has a size advantage on his man. He works hard to get position in the post, which he gets paid to do, BUT he rarely gets the ball inside. I watched the last few games and when he gets postion on his man and should be getting the ball he doesn't. Jose, just doesn't read the game well. I know that he is a great assists guy, but I think he just sorta thinks in his head, "okay first I'll get AB his touches, then LB, then, DeMar etc... he doesn't read what the game is giving him. There are many times when I've seen mismatches with a smaller guy on Andrea and Jose doesn't get him the ball. If I was Linas and I work my ass off to get position and always get looked off by Jose I'd be frustrated too. And then, when Jose finally does get him the ball its out 25-30 feet from the basket, then he has no choice but to Jack Up shots cause his playing time is limited and needs to create something. Linas has shown this season that he has a pretty decent post-up game, but if Jose can't get him the ball and get him in the flow of the game is that his fault? I can't blame Bayless for not getting him the ball cause his role is to penetrate a try and push the ball, but Jose has got to do a better job of getting Kleiza the ball.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote curseoftheswirsk wrote: View Post
    If you watch Kleiza during the game he usually has a size advantage on his man. He works hard to get position in the post, which he gets paid to do, BUT he rarely gets the ball inside. I watched the last few games and when he gets postion on his man and should be getting the ball he doesn't. Jose, just doesn't read the game well. I know that he is a great assists guy, but I think he just sorta thinks in his head, "okay first I'll get AB his touches, then LB, then, DeMar etc... he doesn't read what the game is giving him. There are many times when I've seen mismatches with a smaller guy on Andrea and Jose doesn't get him the ball. If I was Linas and I work my ass off to get position and always get looked off by Jose I'd be frustrated too. And then, when Jose finally does get him the ball its out 25-30 feet from the basket, then he has no choice but to Jack Up shots cause his playing time is limited and needs to create something. Linas has shown this season that he has a pretty decent post-up game, but if Jose can't get him the ball and get him in the flow of the game is that his fault? I can't blame Bayless for not getting him the ball cause his role is to penetrate a try and push the ball, but Jose has got to do a better job of getting Kleiza the ball.
    Don't agree with much of your post. Kleiza is too much of a black hole for you to consistently throw down into the post, it's not like he's a post player with great efficiency down there either. It's hard enough getting Kleiza to pass on the perimeter, there is 0% he kicks out or draws to pass down low. He's not a go-to-guy or a good passer, you can't give him every possession or run your offense through him no matter how hard he fights for position.

If you're a pass first point guard like Jose, are you going to keep feeding the ball down low where you know it's never coming back out and has about 35% chance of going in or are you going to try to get other people involved?

More realistically...

If you're in a pick up game are you going to keep passing it to the ball hog even though he gets great position but forces every shot?

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what happened to those clowns that thought Kleiza was the next Garbajosa..
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Krix wrote: View Post
    Don't agree with much of your post. Kleiza is too much of a black hole for you to consistently throw down into the post, it's not like he's a post player with great efficiency down there either. It's hard enough getting Kleiza to pass on the perimeter, there is 0% he kicks out or draws to pass down low. He's not a go-to-guy or a good passer, you can't give him every possession or run your offense through him no matter how hard he fights for position.

If you're a pass first point guard like Jose, are you going to keep feeding the ball down low where you know it's never coming back out and has about 35% chance of going in or are you going to try to get other people involved?

More realistically...

If you're in a pick up game are you going to keep passing it to the ball hog even though he gets great position but forces every shot?

Fair enough, but I wasn't suggesting that we feed him the ball on every possesion. I just think the guy can't get into the flow of the game cause when he legitimitely gets postition on his man our point guard can't get him the ball. He then gets frustrated and when he finally does get the ball (in the far perimeter and not inside) he's forced to make things happen and jack up an ill-advised shot.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote curseoftheswirsk wrote: View Post
    Fair enough, but I wasn't suggesting that we feed him the ball on every possesion. I just think the guy can't get into the flow of the game cause when he legitimitely gets postition on his man our point guard can't get him the ball. He then gets frustrated and when he finally does get the ball (in the far perimeter and not inside) he's forced to make things happen and jack up an ill-advised shot.
    Kleiza's inefficiency isn't necessarily his fault, I do admit he fights hard for position and is somewhat a versatile player in general. As others are pointing out though, he just doesn't seem to fit with the current style of Raptors. To be fair, Weems ain't doing that great lately either.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

On December 15th - trade Peja, Evans, and Demar for a starting three and a defensive centre (mabye a pick) - start Weems at the 2 and the new wing at the 3 - and have Kleiza come off the bench at small forward

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I wonder what happened to those clowns that thought Kleiza was the next Garbajosa..
    Dare I say, he's slowly becoming the next Hedo.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a good thing he's got a small manageable contract..
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I thought he would be similar... I guess there is a huge difference between the Euroleague and the NBA. But I still think he can bounce back, he still has a decent contract.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Please don't call Kleiza the next Hedo. Kleiza actually looks mad when he misses a shot and looks like he's...trying.

I haven't given up on him yet.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Tbh, I was really impressed with Kleiza in the Fiba tournament and in preseason, but once the season started he started to rush things and seems to have started to feel the pressure or something. He looks like he's lost the arc and smoothness on the jumper and really just looks rushed out there.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    Dare I say, he's slowly becoming the next Hedo.
    No way. The only thing they have in common is European ancestry.

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    No way. The only thing they have in common is European ancestry.
    allthough i think hedo is the worst free agent signing in recent history, i think the similarities are there between Klieza & turk.. they both performed at a high level under the spotlight(NBA Finals/FIBA Worlds) then both signed with the raps & all but dissapeared on the stat sheet... both werent happy with there roles the rest is left to fall into place..

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not ready to pull the chute on Sonny yet, not by a long shot. A few weak games, recently, sure, but overall his season has been strong, certainly stronger than Kleiza. I can't see Kleiza guarding most threes in this league on a night-in, night-out basis. He's best used as a mismatch sub, imo.

Is Sonny a starting 3 long term? No. But you could argue he's been the most consistent raptor this season.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    allthough i think hedo is the worst free agent signing in recent history, i think the similarities are there between Klieza & turk.. they both performed at a high level under the spotlight(NBA Finals/FIBA Worlds) then both signed with the raps & all but dissapeared on the stat sheet... both werent happy with there roles the rest is left to fall into place..
    I could be wrong, but I don't think there's been an issue with Kleiza's attitude yet. He always just looks really pissed at himself all the time. He can't honestly go to the media and say he wants more PT without people laughing at him.

I'll go on the record to say that I think his game will come around.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    I would not agree - yet.

I've seen nothing thus far that would make one assume he is not a professional and good teammate. He is in a funk - a really, really bad one.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

Hopefully he realizes, whether he starts this year or not, he is not the starter on a good NBA team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't think there's been an issue with Kleiza's attitude yet. He always just looks really pissed at himself all the time. He can't honestly go to the media and say he wants more PT without people laughing at him.

I'll go on the record to say that I think his game will come around.
    i hope your right... if history does repeat itself then soon well hear complaining about usage,claims of illness followed by numerous sightings in yorkville LOL capped off by jabs at the franchise & city for treating him poorly just as the door smashs his ass on the way out.LOL
    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Mon Dec 6th, 2010 at 06:37 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kleiza has been better since his injury! What games were you watching? The problem was that Kleiza was supposed to be an outside in player for the Raptors. He wasn't making his shots, so he went to the block and had success against smaller 4's.

He's the Raptors second best back to the basket players, after Bargnani. Unfortunately, this team can't get the ball to Kleiza and Bargnani with consistency. If he can get into an offensive rhythm and get his 3-point shot back he'll be fine. Unfortunately, he's not being optimally used on offense.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Post Thanks / Like

maybe Klieza seen how "Crummy" Weems got the starting job & is trying to emulate him by throwing up just as many bricks...
    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Mon Dec 6th, 2010 at 08:24 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information