Thread: Orwell was only wrong about the date

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Orwell was only wrong about the date

Source: http://www.theburningplatform.com/20...bout-the-date/

Only thing missing is something depicting endless barrage of government statistics showing how much better things are and how anyone who questions government is either a conspiracy theorist or a terrorist.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You can draw parallels to 1984, but I think its pretty evident that the working class has more power now then in any other time in history (compare to a Peasant class versus the King). Especially with the freedom of the internet, you are even allowed to post this post, which in itself proves we are in a much free-er state than 1984 drew out (thought crime, etc).
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    You can draw parallels to 1984, but I think its pretty evident that the working class has more power now then in any other time in history (compare to a Peasant class versus the King). Especially with the freedom of the internet, you are even allowed to post this post, which in itself proves we are in a much free-er state than 1984 drew out (thought crime, etc).
    I hear you....but with the freedoms of thought and speech and the delivery innovations (media/internet) available so has surveillance increased... ironically assisted by the same tech advances. I am not entirely sure that there are adequate controls and oversight not just on surveillance techniques but also information disseminated by governments in many countries. Snowden proved this. Re the peasant class vs. the business elites economically speaking it would be interesting to compare disparities of income over say since the industrial revolution. My guess is not much has changed. There was a "middle class" created but this group is being whittled down as we speak.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

china. all here. it is 1984 and animal farm in one bun. did you know it is all sunshine and rainbows in hongkong right now? it is on every channel at 7 pm every night.
    For The Win

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is pretty evident you're pulling stuff from your behind.

Civil liberties and freedoms have been squashed consistently in the western world since 9/11 all in the name of terrorism. The elite in society have seen their income and power surge around the world. Who has gained from monetary policy since 2008 as just one, albeit very large, example?

I'm not quite sure how powerful that middle class or working class is. Consider the swelling inequalities in income:

In fact, the growth in real average (after-tax, after-transfer) family income from 1976 to 2010 was the smallest in the middle-income group, at seven per cent, while the top quintile (top 20 per cent) saw their family income grow by 27 per cent during that time.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/07...groups-report/
    Then consider the cost of living with the Bank of Canada's own calculator stating the price of a basket of goods and services is up 400% since 1976.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/rel...on-calculator/

It is even worse in the US with incomes basically stagnant since 1973 while expenses are anything put.

Yeah the peasants and middle class have never had it so good.
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Freedom is an illusion. Don't pay the property taxes on a home and land you own outright and see what happens.

Say something in public that is considered distasteful by multiple groups but supported by religious beliefs and see what happens.

Also, I would argue that post 911 we've seen the rights of people in North America shrink. We're losing rights, not gaining them right now. We're not up to 1984 yet though. We're a ways off from that.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

7. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Freedom is an illusion. Don't pay the property taxes on a home and land you own outright and see what happens.

Say something in public that is considered distasteful by multiple groups but supported by religious beliefs and see what happens.

Also, I would argue that post 911 we've seen the rights of people in North America shrink. We're losing rights, not gaining them right now. We're not up to 1984 yet though. We're a ways off from that.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

I like your post. You get it.

I agree we're not there yet....the US, for example, is just 1/3 of the way there.

A generation ago, schoolchildren caught fighting in the corridors, sassing a teacher or skipping class might have ended up in detention. Today, there’s a good chance they will end up in police custody.

In Texas, a student got a misdemeanor ticket for wearing too much perfume. In Wisconsin, a teen was charged with theft after sharing the chicken nuggets from a classmate’s meal—the classmate was on lunch assistance and sharing it meant the teen had violated the law, authorities said. In Florida, a student conducted a science experiment before the authorization of her teacher; when it went awry she received a felony weapons charge.

Over the past 20 years, prompted by changing police tactics and a zero-tolerance attitude toward small crimes, authorities have made more than a quarter of a billion arrests, the Federal Bureau of Investigation estimates. Nearly one out of every three American adults are on file in the FBI’s master criminal database.
    http://online.wsj.com/articles/for-m...ine-1413858602

But yet the banking elites can rip off billions or launder billions in drug/weapon money with merely a slight fine when "busted". Yeah the middle class has never had so much power.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Oct 21st, 2014 at 07:37 PM.
    Bruno Caboclo

Thread Information