No announcement yet.

Demar or Sonny- who gets traded first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demar or Sonny- who gets traded first?

Our young guns are more like water pistols, pissing the bed night in and night out.

The 2-3 spot are the most quintessential scoring positions in the league, and thus require effort and efficiency both on offense, and when playing D on opposing wings.

NYC, Boston, Indy, the list goes on. Demar and Sonny are 2nd/3rd string players at best, with occassional flashes of brilliance that fizzle out by next game.

So who do we trade first? My suggestion would be using Sonny's $850k contract as padding in a Peja deal.

At any rate, the wing position is again killing us, and these 2 young bums need to shape up or ship out, and fast.

DeMar DeRozan is part of the future. He, just like Anadrea Bargnani, needs time to develop. He's not going anywhere in my opinion. Sonny Weems is on a contract year. Who know's what's going to happen there. Not sure why either needs to be traded though. I think they should keep both. Both aren't costing much. Both have good potential. Both are young.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      DeMar DeRozan is part of the future. He, just like Anadrea Bargnani, needs time to develop. He's not going anywhere in my opinion. Sonny Weems is on a contract year. Who know's what's going to happen there. Not sure why either needs to be traded though. I think they should keep both. Both aren't costing much. Both have good potential. Both are young.
      Apollo, while I appreciate your optimism, the fans need to see a commitment to winning. I would imagine Weems will not be extended or will be packaged out in a trade around xmas time. The wing position is so critical to our success, and year after year our poor playing 2/3 spots cost us many games.

Comment

So is down low in the middle of the paint and the Raptors don't have that. The logical choice might be to deal Bargnani for a center who can defend and rebound. Maybe they could deal Bargnani and Weems together for a good center, and then work Peja for a impact SG? That would certainly be a commitment to winning now, trading Bargnani. Although I'm not sure if the value of winning now and being mediocre trumps the chance of winning later and it being significant.

Comment

Absolutely one of them has to go. Neither of these two is suited to play the SF neither can shoot the 3 pointer (DD. can't shoot period). Weems should not be playing the SF spot, this is just plain wrong. Anyways, here is the problem, you have DD, Sonny, Barbosa and Bayless all capable of playing the SG position who would you want to trade really. To me Barbosa is a keeper, he has been instrumental in all the wins that we have achieved this year, he knows how to score and is the best out of these four. Bayless is still young and I dont think we got him here in order to trade him. DD is BC's 2nd lottery pick as a Raptors GM and he will not trade him. That leaves Sonny who is looking to get paid, that would be my guess as to whom will get traded first.

Comment

Weems' contract right now to the Raptors is the equivalent of a tick on an elephant's butt. What's the harm in keeping him and bringing him in off the bench? We're not talking about two $6M/yr players here. There is no urgency to ship either out. I don't even think Weems is in for a big pay raise and no team is going to give him a starting gig so him staying is probably going to come down to the Raptors wanting him here. Basically, there is no risk keeping both and letting both grow. Both their values are only going to improve as they improve. Money in the bank guys.

Barbosa is going to be 29 soon. He's a player who relies heavily on athletics. I don't think he's going to hold up long term to be a good long term option.
            Last edited by Apollo; Tue Dec 7, 2010, 01:23 PM.

Comment

This team is not ready to compete for another 2-3 years. I think Raptors should give time to DD to grow but they should really focus on developing him and putting pressure on him and evaluate his work ethics.

Is he a guy who is willing to work ? Is he willing to focus on Basketball and let go of the side circus on YOUNG BUNZ and ...

As far as Weems, He is a bench player in this league. If Raptors are committed to DD and Amir and Weems Trio, then they should sign him a very reasonable contact, something along 5 year 18 million and bring him off the bench and let him develop that way.

Imagining DD, Money Weems and Amir 3000 as your starters, is just a WET dream that Buddah has sometimes.

Comment

Weems' contract right now to the Raptors is the equivalent of a tick on an elephant's butt. What's the harm in keeping him and bringing him in off the bench? We're not talking about two $6M/yr players here. There is no urgency to ship either out. I don't even think Weems is in for a big pay raise and no team is going to give him a starting gig so him staying is probably going to come down to the Raptors wanting him here. Basically, there is no risk keeping both and letting both grow. Both their values are only going to improve as they improve. Money in the bank guys.

Barbosa is going to be 29 soon. He's a player who relies heavily on athletics. I don't think he's going to hold up long term to be a good long term option.
                I dont disagee with anything you said, but in all honesty, I don't trust BC will not overpay to keep him, as he has done with every resigned player on the team.

Comment

i def. think theres too much of a comfort zone with weems & demar... theyre best friends & thats not always a good thing...these guys both tend to dissapear in the same games aswell..one if not both has to go.. demar at best could be like an iggy type player..."Crummy" Weems is just a scrub...

Comment

So we all agree that Demar has potential BUT should not be even close to starting, and that Weems is a chucker and should come off the bench.

That being said, both would be prime candidates to get packaged into a deal. I would agree that Weems would be added as fluff to a deal for a bigger chip, maybe Peja or Kleiza.

Comment

I don't see us trading either of them; DeRozan is the third most untouchable player on the roster after Bargnani and Davis. (Johnson may be passing him as well).

As for Weems, I think that BC would consider trading him if anyone came knocking, but what sort of offers is he going to get that make sense? The Raptors have a shot at getting a very good SF at the draft this year. Trading for a veteran SF now just takes minutes away from the guy we end up drafting, and probably ruins our draft seeding. A best case scenario (other than Weems emerging as a dependable player) is Weems continuing to ruin his value, helping the Raptors get a good draft pick, and then resigning for cheap to be a bench player on this team, a role that probably suits his skillset better.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                        So we all agree that Demar has potential BUT should not be even close to starting
                        We're not all agreeing on that. Not sure how you came to that conclusion based on what's been said in here. LOL

Who else are they going to start right now and why should they start him? DeRozan isn't playing impact ball right now but he's trying and learning.

Comment

We're not all agreeing on that. Not sure how you came to that conclusion based on what's been said in here. LOL

Who else are they going to start right now and why should they start him? DeRozan isn't playing impact ball right now but he's trying and learning.
                          Miscommunication here- my premise is that NEITHER of them should start, henceforth the need to trade one or both of them to try and upgrade. I know it won't happen, and my money is on Demar staying around.

Comment

I was really hoping these two were gonna be something special this season, but damn, they've been terrible, other than the occasional highlight dunk, they've done shit all. I say package weems with peja, and get a decent SF out there. Reason why i would keep DeRozan is, he "MIGHT" still get better, and i think this is as good as it gets for Weems. Sorry to say but, one o the younggunz has to ride outta town.

Comment

Usagi_yo_Jimbo wrote: View Post
                              I was really hoping these two were gonna be something special this season, but damn, they've been terrible, other than the occasional highlight dunk, they've done shit all. I say package weems with peja, and get a decent SF out there. Reason why i would keep DeRozan is, he "MIGHT" still get better, and i think this is as good as it gets for Weems. Sorry to say but, one o the younggunz has to ride outta town.
                              +1

Totally agree. In fact, i think the marketing BS of this young gunz stuff might be affecting these 2 guys. They need to earn their stripes. Amir is the Young GUN, that's about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X