Alabi - Numbers Not Looking Good At All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    The Raptors are on the hook for $1.6 million to him over this season and next. Hopefully he will improve enough this season and next to get some minutes with the Raptors during this period.
    A $770K/$830K risk with a team option for a third season under $1M for a defensive minded C who could become a back up of the future is fine by me - even if he doesn't pan out. IT is a small risk with a small contract to fill the 14th/15th spot on the team.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      A $770K/$830K risk with a team option for a third season under $1M for a defensive minded C who could become a back up of the future is fine by me - even if he doesn't pan out. IT is a small risk with a small contract to fill the 14th/15th spot on the team.
      Yea but his foul rate at Erie is higher than Johnson's was in the D-League with Fayetteville.

I guess $1.6 million doesn't mean much to MLSE, eh
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Tonight

Min----------28
        Points-------12
        Rebounds---11
        Blocks--------3
        Fouls - Fouled Out
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

when they gave him the ball in the second half he looked very good

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
            when they gave him the ball in the second half he looked very good
            How do you foul out in the D-League in 28 minutes?

Comment

I wouldn't worry about Alibi's stats through six games. We knew that Samb was a comparable for him when he was drafted. Should we be shocked that his career hasn't hit a different trajectory already? I never saw Samb play early in his d-league career, but the thing I notice about Alibi is that he isn't used to playing against NBA-sized bodies, and still attempts to outreach opponents that he should be out-positioning them. He needs some strength and he needs to adjust his game. I believe his body is already ahead of Samb's (Samb was like 200 lbs when he was drafted), and how Alibi's body develops will be a major factor in whether he's ever an effective NBA player. I'm not making any predictions of whether he'll succeed or not. Just saying we're still in no better position to judge than we were four months ago.

Comment

Yea but his foul rate at Erie is higher than Johnson's was in the D-League with Fayetteville.

I guess $1.6 million doesn't mean much to MLSE, eh
                Over 2 years in comparison to the majority of NBA contracts? No. This is a low risk, high reward player. I don't think anyone expects him to be the starting C at any point. He is a back up, defensive minded C at best.

Obviously players grow and develop. What is Amir's foul rate the last few games? We're not talking about players who have reached their full potential or are in their prime. Alabi is a project.

Comment

D League Style

The D League is a guard oriented league. Most plays are motion oriented and there is a lot of transition.
                  Guards will most likely look off a new 7 ft 2nd rounder.
                  My suspicion is that he will have to earn a lot of pts off of the boards and as a trailer, rather than by setting up with his back to the basket.

Guards will be looking to get their own.

So, a lot of his development will be on the defensive end, which is not really going to show up on the stat sheet.

Comment

How do you foul out in the D-League in 28 minutes?
                    He is the only person that plays D

Comment

First game he shot well from the field. That's positive.
                      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

The Raptors are on the hook for $1.6 million to him over this season and next. Hopefully he will improve enough this season and next to get some minutes with the Raptors during this period.
                        Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Over 2 years in comparison to the majority of NBA contracts? No. This is a low risk, high reward player. I don't think anyone expects him to be the starting C at any point. He is a back up, defensive minded C at best.

Obviously players grow and develop. What is Amir's foul rate the last few games? We're not talking about players who have reached their full potential or are in their prime. Alabi is a project.
                        I agree that the $1.6 million is not a big risk.

I have just been pointing out that his numbers so far by comparison to C. Samb are unfavorable and that Samb who is a NBA bust has a similar background and body size.

One difference between Samb and Alabi is that Samb played in Europe for a couple of seasons but not in the NCAA whereas Alabi played has played in the NCAA but not in Europe. Other than that they are very similar.

When Samb played for the Raptors this summer in the LVSL he had already added some weight and looked to weigh not much less than Alabi.

Alabi had a terrible endurance problem in the LVSL.

He did not play big MPG at Florida State so one has to question whether he has the ability to play serious minutes until he shows otherwise. People have questioned Johnson's ability to play serious minutes because of foul problems. Alabi has that plus conditioning problems.

He is also not a particularly quick runner for whatever reason.

Lets not forget that he will be 23 next March so he is not exactly young for a rookie.

I have no idea whether he will ever become a legit NBA player, however I am starting to have some concerns. His comparatives in terms of age and results on the court to date are not favorable.
                        Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Dec 8, 2010, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I would just like to point out that he didn't foul out once in Vegas summer League. Not once!
                          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

employee wrote: View Post
                            i would just like to point out that he didn't foul out once in vegas summer league. Not once!
                            lol

Comment

He is big, no one though Hibbert would last in the NBA. When you have size, and can move you can always work on the rest. Another guy instead of Alabi at C would be Mahimni who is extremely athletic.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                                He is big, no one though Hibbert would last in the NBA. When you have size, and can move you can always work on the rest. Another guy instead of Alabi at C would be Mahimni who is extremely athletic.
                                You must have been listening to the doubters on that one.

To my recollection I have never said that Alabi won't make it in the NBA.

What I said and I apologize if I was not clear is "that his numbers not looking good at all" and preceded to compare him to Cheikh Samb who as I said was an NBA bust. Then I went on to respond to other posts and to compare and contrast only to a limited extent Alabi and Samb's backgrounds. I then threw the Johnson comment in about the fouls.

I don't believe that I ever said Alabi was going to be a bust though I do see how reading my posts on this thread one could come to the conclusion that I was insinuating that Alabi was going to be a bust.

What I was trying to say is at this point Alabi's nuimbers don't look good and that given that and what I saw of him in one game at Erie and all the games in LVSL he has a heck of a lot of work to do before he becomes good enough to become a NBA rotation player.

So I have no expectation that he will be able to help the Raptors in 2010-11 unless he can significantly step up his game.
                                Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Dec 8, 2010, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X