Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Weems and DeRozan Vent Thread

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Weems and DeRozan Vent Thread

    I think Devlin is bang on when he refers to Weems as Money Weems, as in hoping to shoot his way to a new larger contract next season.

    DeRozan just doesn't seem "to have It".

    Having "It", a term that is basically undefinable but we all know "It" when we see someone and whether they have "It" or not. DeRozan just plays like he does not have "It", in this case what it takes to be a really good NBA player. He just looks like a kid out there who relies entirely on their athletic skills to get the job done. He continues to play like he really doesn't have basketball skills just athletic ones that he uses on a basketball court.

    I have not noticed any change in this since his one season at USC.

    Unfortunately not looking too promising at this point

    What do you guys/gals think about Weems and DeRozan's game?

    Have they "Got Game" or not?

    What do their upsides look like? Dunks and a few mid-range jumpers and nothing else, or can they develop into more complete basketball players?
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Rookie Thom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It seems like Weems has a lot of game, but can't utilize it, while DeRozan has a little game, but makes the most of it. I think DeMar will continue to improve his game and end up being a good rotation player, possibly a starter on a good team someday.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Weems is a Scrub..Was it Weems agent that gave him the "Money" nickname? cause i dont see it in his game....as for DD hes reminding me of Joey Graham more & more everyday...yet another uber athletic player with almost no game....id like to see them both moved but at the very least they shouldnt be starting.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    253
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Weems just needs to make better decisions. Whether that's because he's trying his best to get his numbers up to get a big contract, or he's just immature, I don't know. His effort on D is also questionable at times, because we know he can defend. He just doesn't do it, or give it 100% all the time.

    In Demar's case, I don't know. All I ever hear is potential with him, but I haven't seen anything so far, except for his athleticism to get to the rim and get fouled. He has no D, and no J, and now I'm starting to question his BBall IQ. If I had to describe him, I'd say he's a kid who doesn't know anything...yet.

    If I had to pick one which I would like on the Raps, I'd take Sonny...not as a starter, but backup SG...3rd string behind LB and a legit starter.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    159
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I see it as too many young players do develope , not enough even distribution. Or maybe Demar just doesn't have it. He definitely can't rely on athleticism. Or like I said, he's not getting the ball. Bargnani is the focus so he's get most touches. What bothers me is that Bargnani is still being billed as the franchise player. Sure Bosh wasn't a franchise player, but he could still score 20 + points a game as well as close to 10 rebounds. Yeah Bargnani is average over 20 ppg this season but it will decline every game he fails to score over 20 points, which is going to be often. It makes me cringe when Bargs scores 28 points one night and then 12 the next. That isn't acceptable. For a first overall pick , he should have averaged 20 ppg long ago. Not in his 5th season.

    I don't see Ed Davis being a scoring threat for a while if at all. Thinking about it, as much as people hate to admit, Vince Carter is and always will be the greatest player ever to dawn a raptors jersey. I believe he has the single season average raptor record of 27 ppg. Remember people were hailing Demar as the next Vince Carter? While looks like it won't be that way. I will probably be a while before this franchise has another superstar player. Let's hope whoever we draft in next years draft turns out to be the next Kobe or Lebron.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    DeRozan to me is the most disappointing so far considering the hype, me included that some of us threw out regarding DeRozan.

    Weems came with some baggage, including a lawsuit and a couple cups of coffee with some other teams so not much was expected of him at all.

    DeRozan thus far has been a disappointment in that his game does not seemed to have progressed at all since last season at this time.

    Weems on the other hand has been a pleasant though at times frustrating surprise. Weems seems to me to be like the beautiful woman who looks great and exciting but just is not someone you would want to be your squeeze for too long a period of time.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Both these players do not know their role in this team. The team at this point is a rag-tag group that succeeds when everyone is shooting well. Well, they're still giving up a lot of points even in their wins. When the shooting is poor, its is ugly. If they can't defend while they're winning, the defense is ugly when they're down. Weems in my opinion is after mad loot and Demar (contrary to popular opinion) is not seizing the opportunity. He should be coming off the bench. Really. I made a rather long rant earlier about the use of Peja and my biggest concern with this team is that they're being developed poorly. They're thrown into a bunch of different roles / tasks and pairings. I guess in Triano's defense, if he throws enough noodles on the wall, some of them may stick. Carlesimo's role in this team scares me because I'm seeing the same things OKC went through when he was at the helm. Sticking players in roles they're not comfortable with is scary and he was fired as a result. Scotty Brooks comes in and sets the record straight. The rest was history. As young players, both DD and Weems deserves the kind of tough love that Mitchell, Skiles (yes, Milwaukee is struggling), Pops and Sloane are willing to dish out. I'm not suggesting to fire the coach, they just need to be put in their "developmental place". Both Weems and DD are like teenage kids that just got their G2's. With the spot-light and the hoopla, they feel like they deserve to drive mommy's BMW on weekends.

    Playing with kids in some rec center simply ain't gonna cut it in the big leagues. Cut back on the street swag and pretend they're not in Rucker Park and both may have a chance to succeed.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    DeRozan to me is the most disappointing so far considering the hype, me included that some of us threw out regarding DeRozan.

    Weems came with some baggage, including a lawsuit and a couple cups of coffee with some other teams so not much was expected of him at all.

    DeRozan thus far has been a disappointment in that his game does not seemed to have progressed at all since last season at this time.

    Weems on the other hand has been a pleasant though at times frustrating surprise. Weems seems to me to be like the beautiful woman who looks great and exciting but just is not someone you would want to be your squeeze for too long a period of time.
    Demar is def. way over hyped..

    weems is more like the girl who looks good from far but is far from good..LOL

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Rookie Liston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Check Statophile tomorrow - I've been working on analysis of our wings for a few days....

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter knickz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    TDOT
    Posts
    689
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i think the problem is too many shooters

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote knickz wrote: View Post
    i think the problem is too many shooters
    Nope, too many poor shooters and not enough floor spacing.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter DunkinDerozan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    [QUOTE=Buddahfan;55301]DeRozan to me is the most disappointing so far considering the hype, me included that some of us threw out regarding DeRozan.

    Look at Amir Johnson he's finally developing after basically 6 years in the NBA. This is basically Demar's first year where he has some responsibility. Give the man a break.



    DeRozan thus far has been a disappointment in that his game does not seemed to have progressed at all since last season at this time.

    Blame Triano. Demar is not a three point shooter, and needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He needs to be used more in screen and rolls where he can penetrate and finish or dish it to teamates for open look. He'll develope VERY slowly the way Triano is using him. He basically camps out at the 3 point line which is useless considering he cant shoot 3 pointers yet. It usually take players a few years before they develope a consistant jump shot so im not to worried, however now's a good time to make Demar a focal point let him have the ball in his hands and find out what he can do. I remember Lebrons first few years in the league he couldnt make a jumper even if he was left wide open, but Cleveland developed the other areas of his game then once his jumper developed he became unstopable.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think the problem is that we're asking 2 players that are under 25 that haven't played 2 full seasons in the league who have never started on the NBA level to give a consistent effort against teams that more often than not have bonafide NBA starters.

    The "dirty little secret" about the Raptors is that their Shooting Guard/Small Forward position has be WOEFUL over the past 5 years (that why I laugh whenever someone on the Raptors, be it the coaching staff or broadcasting team takes a shot at Chris Bosh because he couldn't be a 'franchise player' with the likes of Joey Graham, Jamario Moon and Fred Jones). Weems and DeRozan right now aren't great, there's no doubt about that, but these are the growing pains that you have when you go with young players. It's on the coaching staff now to guide these guys and make them play within themselves. The NBA is littered with guys who people gave up on that turned out okay (Joe Johnson, Chauncey Billups) or guys that struggled at the beginning that blossomed (Tracy McGrady, John Salmons).

    Oh BTW, I know PER and Value Added isn't everything, but despite their troubles, both have PERs and VAs that are higher than James Harden, OJ Mayo, Kirk Hinrich and Evan Turner (who was the No. 2 Overall pick). And Weems has a better PER than Rudy Fernandez. So let's not go TOO crazy with this. Remember, this is a bad team where their best player is the 7 foot tall Italian Ben Gordon

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    [QUOTE=DunkinDerozan;55325]
    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    DeRozan to me is the most disappointing so far considering the hype, me included that some of us threw out regarding DeRozan.

    Look at Amir Johnson he's finally developing after basically 6 years in the NBA. This is basically Demar's first year where he has some responsibility. Give the man a break.



    DeRozan thus far has been a disappointment in that his game does not seemed to have progressed at all since last season at this time.

    Blame Triano. Demar is not a three point shooter, and needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He needs to be used more in screen and rolls where he can penetrate and finish or dish it to teamates for open look. He'll develope VERY slowly the way Triano is using him. He basically camps out at the 3 point line which is useless considering he cant shoot 3 pointers yet. It usually take players a few years before they develope a consistant jump shot so im not to worried, however now's a good time to make Demar a focal point let him have the ball in his hands and find out what he can do. I remember Lebrons first few years in the league he couldnt make a jumper even if he was left wide open, but Cleveland developed the other areas of his game then once his jumper developed he became unstopable.
    I have hyped Johnson a lot more than DeRozan.

    When I first saw Johnson play I thought that there was something magical about his game and I am not the only one.

    Larry Brown who knows a thing or two about basketball said about Johnson in 2005
    Mo McHone who coached Johnson in the D-League had this to say about him.

    I haven't seen these kind of accolades about DeRozan.

    Yes I know how Oden's career has turned out but when McHone said this no one knew that Oden would turn into a medical mess so McHone's statement has to be understood in terms of what people knew about Oden back then.

    Plus as I have pointed out a number of times according to Rodney Stuckey and Arron Afflalo who played with Johnson at Detroit, the Pistons never invested any coaching time in him like the Raptors are.

    DeRozan has the same coaches available to him that Johnson does. It appears that Johnson may be taking more advantage of this great asset than DeRozan is. If that is the case that says something right there about DeRozan and it ain't good.

    Maybe he will get his act together. We shall see.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Dec 7th, 2010 at 11:16 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    T dot Ohhhhh
    Posts
    778
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    DD is a work in progress. If you think his game hasn't improved at all you aren't paying attention. His D has come a long way (and has even further to go before it's tolerable I admit) and he's added a few wrinkles to his offense. He seems to be floating at times though. It's all Andreas fault of course. Soon as that article about him joining the guys at the back of the bus popped up his and Sonny's games have taken nosedives (joking!).

    I don't know what's going on with them. Weems has a bit of knucklehead in his game that will forever make him hard to trust, DeRozan is a slow starter as we saw in college. I think DD has a much higher ceiling simply due to the fact the dude is young, humble, seems intelligent and has all the tools. He needs to tighten his handle and get stronger though. Guys at the wings are jacked these days and DeMar seems to get beat up. I had great seats (row 10, s 108) to the Hawks "game" and Joe Johnson was standing beside DD at one point and looked HUGE compared to ol' #10.

    At any rate, they're growing and it's only 20 games into the year. Don't be in such a rush to burn it down and start over (again). Come June (if not the trade deadline) BC will have picks, a ton of cash, roster spots and a hot seat to sit on. If DD and Weems are still looking lost I have no doubt BC will use them to steal some talent.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DirtyMikeSeaver wrote: View Post
    I think the problem is that we're asking 2 players that are under 25 that haven't played 2 full seasons in the league who have never started on the NBA level to give a consistent effort against teams that more often than not have bonafide NBA starters.

    The "dirty little secret" about the Raptors is that their Shooting Guard/Small Forward position has be WOEFUL over the past 5 years (that why I laugh whenever someone on the Raptors, be it the coaching staff or broadcasting team takes a shot at Chris Bosh because he couldn't be a 'franchise player' with the likes of Joey Graham, Jamario Moon and Fred Jones). Weems and DeRozan right now aren't great, there's no doubt about that, but these are the growing pains that you have when you go with young players. It's on the coaching staff now to guide these guys and make them play within themselves. The NBA is littered with guys who people gave up on that turned out okay (Joe Johnson, Chauncey Billups) or guys that struggled at the beginning that blossomed (Tracy McGrady, John Salmons).

    Oh BTW, I know PER and Value Added isn't everything, but despite their troubles, both have PERs and VAs that are higher than James Harden, OJ Mayo, Kirk Hinrich and Evan Turner (who was the No. 2 Overall pick). And Weems has a better PER than Rudy Fernandez. So let's not go TOO crazy with this. Remember, this is a bad team where their best player is the 7 foot tall Italian Ben Gordon
    The Problem with DeRozan in my opinion is that he is still thinking playground basketball.

    What DeRozan should be doing if he was really serious about being a NBA all-star is staying in the gym after each practice until he makes at least 200 jump shots from beyond 15 feet. Given his lack of shooting improvement I doubt that he is doing that.

    I think that serious hard work beyond just playing playground style basketball in the summer would not only show up in improved shooting during Raptors games but also improved defense. Why improved defense? If he was serious enough about improving his offense he would be serious about improving his defense. I haven't noticed much if any improvement in his court awareness on defense since he has come to the Raptors.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think it will be growing pains as well. We fans are hard on our teams because we want to win and we don't want to wait. Anyone dispute that? I would guess not. It's fair, there are some of us that put more energy that is probably healthy into these games and these blogs, but we enjoy it. That makes those pains all the worse. I would hate to see talent go by the wayside because we were too short sited to see their potential. It's a hard decision to make and we are not qualified to make it. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, in the office, trade possibilities, etc. We just speculate and interpret what we see on the floor.

    I really want to see these two develop and we've seen spurts of it. (did these slumps happen after JJ was traded? that would be interested to note. I have no idea that just came to me). They need plays run for them and they need to put out a full effort. These two were fantastic in the summer league and I would hope would grow to be that way here too. It's just a growing experience playing against the best talent in the world at those positions. Time and coaching will help. It's just not an easy fix.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    2,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DirtyMikeSeaver wrote: View Post
    I think the problem is that we're asking 2 players that are under 25 that haven't played 2 full seasons in the league who have never started on the NBA level to give a consistent effort against teams that more often than not have bonafide NBA starters.

    The "dirty little secret" about the Raptors is that their Shooting Guard/Small Forward position has be WOEFUL over the past 5 years (that why I laugh whenever someone on the Raptors, be it the coaching staff or broadcasting team takes a shot at Chris Bosh because he couldn't be a 'franchise player' with the likes of Joey Graham, Jamario Moon and Fred Jones). Weems and DeRozan right now aren't great, there's no doubt about that, but these are the growing pains that you have when you go with young players. It's on the coaching staff now to guide these guys and make them play within themselves. The NBA is littered with guys who people gave up on that turned out okay (Joe Johnson, Chauncey Billups) or guys that struggled at the beginning that blossomed (Tracy McGrady, John Salmons).

    Oh BTW, I know PER and Value Added isn't everything, but despite their troubles, both have PERs and VAs that are higher than James Harden, OJ Mayo, Kirk Hinrich and Evan Turner (who was the No. 2 Overall pick). And Weems has a better PER than Rudy Fernandez. So let's not go TOO crazy with this. Remember, this is a bad team where their best player is the 7 foot tall Italian Ben Gordon
    For. The. Win. Spot on with all your comments IMO.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter RaptorDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    on top of Jenna Jameson
    Posts
    764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've heard that Sonny has had a couple of things distracting him lately
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorDan wrote: View Post
    I've heard that Sonny has had a couple of things distracting him lately
    i heard he liked asian trannys but i didnt think it was true! LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •