Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Are The Raptors Poised To Fail In The 2011 Draft?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    Nope. In the event you are drafted you are subject to the rules of the CBA since the draft itself falls under the CBA.
    Do you have a source to support this because the owners are talking about lowering existing contracts under the new NBA. I'm not sure how rookies who have yet to sign would somehow be invincible to CBA renegotiation, especially seeing how they probably would not have signed contracts before the CBA ended.

Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    Yes, but you are forgetting that it's way easier for them to get loans/deferrals because of their high earning potentials. As a potential lender, I wouldn't pass on a chance to make some easy, low-risk investments into these players.
    You should go look at the last NHL lockout. It broke the players and they had to cave because they could not afford to go any longer. As a result they ended up settling for less than the owners had first offered.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Do you have a source to support this because the owners are talking about lowering existing contracts under the new NBA. I'm not sure how rookies who have yet to sign would somehow be invincible to CBA renegotiation, especially seeing how they probably would not have signed contracts before the CBA ended.
    Okay, I might have been a little hasty in inferring that, but I am 99% sure that the new CBA will include a clause that preserved the rookie scale contracts of the previous CBA since the current one did the same for the one that came before it.
    (see Article VIII)

Post Thanks / Like

The last CBA renegotiations took place in better economic times. I don't get how the owners could be strong on a big cap slash and not look on lowering the rookie scale. I think if anything, it will all be dropped proportionally to the drop in cap... Well that makes more sense to me but labor negotiations don't always involve logic I guess.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information