Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are The Raptors Poised To Fail In The 2011 Draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
    He'll pay for it with his "Got Milk" ads!!! haha
    bosh would def whore it up during a lockout LOL hed prob even make another docu.movie...do some fruity flakes adds..a duet with elton john...most of all hed have enough time for his true passion "stroking his own ego" LOL

Comment

A tear is forming in my eye, thinking of all the poor NBA players about to live in poverty. Maybe we can all band together and start a soup kitchen for them. Maybe Elton John and Prince can make a song together with proceeds going to the players association to help put food in their empty stomachs. Will the current Raptor players become homeless men living in shelters in Toronto or will they have enough money to travel back to their hometowns? Why doesn't Jesus care?
      Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
        like i said in myy previous post... i dont feel sorry for those guys at all... i doubt the NBAPA cares either.. think of it this way.. would a labour union not go on strike just because a few of its employees cant save there money??? of course they would still strike.....a union is about all its members not just a select few...there will be alo more players who cant save in the future and if the league gets its wish of a hard cap then these guys will loose more in the long term... 40% roll backs on salary, new lowered max contracts... no guaranteed contracts...higher age limit for turning pro... all these things = a huge loss for players in the long term...more so then sitting out a season

as a fan i dont want a lockout & id love to see the raps win a title...but if i was a union rep. or player id def. not want the hard cap.
        Oh I'm with ya 100%. Don't feel sorry at all for the idiots, and for that matter the smart ones, since they have it. As a fan I don't think I want a hard cap either, but I am with the league on shorter max contracts and max money. Especially as a fan and you see fat cats sitting on their ass killing the team with sucking up $ under the cap, luxury tax or hard cap.

Comment

I went onto ESPN trade machine today just to see what people's cap position was like. I think everyone I looked at was over. If they do set a hard cap it can't be the 60 million that they have now. it'dhave to be 75 or 80 million. The big thing is keeping every team competitive. it's ridiculous how many are 30-50 million over the cap. that's not fair to the poorer teams in the smaller areas. I've said it befor eand i'll say it again. I would rather see 30 teams close to .500 than 8 teams with 50+ wins and 10 with 50+ losses with a bunch of first rounder exiters int he middle

Comment

I went onto ESPN trade machine today just to see what people's cap position was like. I think everyone I looked at was over. If they do set a hard cap it can't be the 60 million that they have now. it'dhave to be 75 or 80 million. The big thing is keeping every team competitive. it's ridiculous how many are 30-50 million over the cap. that's not fair to the poorer teams in the smaller areas. I've said it befor eand i'll say it again. I would rather see 30 teams close to .500 than 8 teams with 50+ wins and 10 with 50+ losses with a bunch of first rounder exiters int he middle
            Of course should some of them have a team to begin with? The watered down talent in the league doesn't help the product either.

Comment

One aspect of the new cba I would like to see instituted (with a hard cap on an amount which is a percentage of revenue) is some form of max within individual teams where a single player or eg. 3 players cannot make more than a fixed percentage of the team payroll. Example: 3 players on any team can make a max. of say 30% sliced any way. This will make the distribution of monies more equitable (within each team and league) as well as make it more difficult to have a situation that occurred in Miami where the best players just up and walk. They could only do so by his new team rearranging their roster. This should also balance out the competitiveness of teams.

And we should really stop using the term "union" with the players association. Union for me conjures up the dock workers and the hotel maids. These are millionaires fighting for a slice of the pie with some billionaires. And it really comes down to one fact...who's got the most cake (willing to take a good hit). I'd put my money on the owners.

Comment

Honestly, if the majority of us can live with under 20k a year, I think they should be able to do it unless they're off acting dumb with their money. My prof. use to tell me all the time - work smart, not hard.

Maybe they should take a page outta Jason Pitt's (The Game) book and turn into a penny pincher.

Edit: If they want a loan i'd give them it with 500% interest when they get back in the NBA

Comment

Hostile, it's not that simple. Are you taking into consideration mortgage payments? Alimony? Child support? Family support? A lot of these guys have expensive mansions, expensive cars & other toys, and they support their friends and families to some degree. To shut off their main stream is going to hurt a lot because they can't shut off their expenses and financial responsibilities that fast. It's not easy to walk away from a $12M mortgage if you're Chris Bosh for example. Me, personally, I can't live off $20K a year and I'm not rich and I don't live in excess but I do have to pay for my house, heat and light for that house and my truck, food, living supplies and all that is expensive in this day in age. $20K/yr would be easy to survive on but how many people live to just survive? We're not in the 3rd world here.
                  Last edited by Apollo; Sat Dec 11, 2010, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Example time. Ok, so the CBA runs out roughly around the end of June... Imagine for a moment if you will that this had happened this past summer. Xavier Henry took all summer to be signed to his rookie deal. If there was no CBA in place he would currently have no contract what so ever because after the CBA expires negotiations cannot take place.
                    Nope. In the event you are drafted you are subject to the rules of the CBA since the draft itself falls under the CBA.
                    Hostile, it's not that simple. Are you taking into consideration mortgage payments? Alimony? Child support? Family support? A lot of these guys have expensive mansions, expensive cars & other toys, and they support their friends and families to some degree. To shut off their main stream is going to hurt a lot because they can't shut off their expenses and financial responsibilities that fast. It's not easy to walk away from a $12M mortgage if you're Chris Bosh for example. Me, personally, I can't live off $20K a year and I'm not rich and I don't live in excess but I do have to pay for my house, heat and light for that house and my truck, food, living supplies and all that is expensive in this day in age. $20K/yr would be easy to survive on but how many people live to just survive? We're not in the 3rd world here.
                    Yes, but you are forgetting that it's way easier for them to get loans/deferrals because of their high earning potentials. As a potential lender, I wouldn't pass on a chance to make some easy, low-risk investments into these players.

Comment

$20K/yr would be easy to survive on but how many people live to just survive? We're not in the 3rd world here.
                      So you're saying that they should be able to continue their life of luxury just because they're rich.

We might not be a 3rd world country, but there's still alot of people struggling to do exactly that. The poverty rate in Canada is ~5% and that equates to about 1.7 million people working to make ends meet in much harsher working conditions than these basketball players. We should be less worried about the rich getting richer and more worried about how to reduce social inquality.

Anyhow, if they are really in financial need there's always the option to play overseas. There is always a market for NBA players in the world--(good) basketball players are always in high demand.

Employee wrote: View Post
                      I was joking (sorta). It really is true though, most of these players come from a really poor background and saving money isn't their strongpoint.
                      ...so now's a good time to start learning.
                      Better now than to wait till they're retired.
                      Last edited by Prime; Sat Dec 11, 2010, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Prime wrote: View Post
                        Nope. In the event you are drafted you are subject to the rules of the CBA since the draft itself falls under the CBA.
                        Do you have a source to support this because the owners are talking about lowering existing contracts under the new NBA. I'm not sure how rookies who have yet to sign would somehow be invincible to CBA renegotiation, especially seeing how they probably would not have signed contracts before the CBA ended.

Prime wrote: View Post
                        Yes, but you are forgetting that it's way easier for them to get loans/deferrals because of their high earning potentials. As a potential lender, I wouldn't pass on a chance to make some easy, low-risk investments into these players.
                        You should go look at the last NHL lockout. It broke the players and they had to cave because they could not afford to go any longer. As a result they ended up settling for less than the owners had first offered.

Comment

Do you have a source to support this because the owners are talking about lowering existing contracts under the new NBA. I'm not sure how rookies who have yet to sign would somehow be invincible to CBA renegotiation, especially seeing how they probably would not have signed contracts before the CBA ended.
                          Okay, I might have been a little hasty in inferring that, but I am 99% sure that the new CBA will include a clause that preserved the rookie scale contracts of the previous CBA since the current one did the same for the one that came before it.
                          (see Article VIII)

Comment

The last CBA renegotiations took place in better economic times. I don't get how the owners could be strong on a big cap slash and not look on lowering the rookie scale. I think if anything, it will all be dropped proportionally to the drop in cap... Well that makes more sense to me but labor negotiations don't always involve logic I guess.

Comment

Working...
                            X