Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are The Raptors Poised To Fail In The 2011 Draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are The Raptors Poised To Fail In The 2011 Draft?

Multiple NBA team executives told CBSSports.com this week they believe a significant number of college underclassmen will stay in school rather than risk losing a year of development (and pay) in a lockout. College coaches making the pitch to underclassman to stay in school will have more leverage than ever before. “They’ll have the hammer,” one exec said. “To lose a year of development at that stage of your career, that’s huge.” This could have a dramatic impact on a team like No. 4 Kansas, which in an ordinary year would have as many as three first-round picks: freshman Josh Selby (serving a nine-game NCAA suspension for accepting improper benefits); and juniors Marcus Morris and Tyshawn Taylor. Sophomore Thomas Robinson also impressed NBA execs scouting the Jimmy V Classic Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden.
    Source: CBS Sports

I realize this is really early but let's cover it anyway. 2006, they win the lotto in a draft with no consensus number one. No only that, it was a total crap shoot of a draft. Some called it weak back then due increased uncertainty in the players... Moving along to this year, the Raptors stockpiled some picks and are probably going to be in the lotto. Only problem is now a lot of kids may stay an extra year leaving the class weak and a bigger crap shoot than usual. I could see this being an International player heavy draft because the kids outside the U.S. have nothing to lose by entering this year, in fact it might be the best strategic time to enter the draft for them. All that said do you think this sets up the Raptors for success for failure?

There was an article on nba.com a while back about Mike Bibby. He was drafted in the 1998 lockout and he said he wouldn't have changed a thing. I believe he encouraged people to get into the draft anyway because your stock could end up going down, you could have a serious injury and never get drafted, etc. He said that if you are positive you will be a first round pick, then do it because it secures you playing for an NBA team.

Their coaches will push it but I think it's good advice. You might not get paid while your in a lock out, but if you'rethe next big thing then you'll get sponsorships and be ok.

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
      There was an article on nba.com a while back about Mike Bibby. He was drafted in the 1998 lockout and he said he wouldn't have changed a thing. I believe he encouraged people to get into the draft anyway because your stock could end up going down, you could have a serious injury and never get drafted, etc. He said that if you are positive you will be a first round pick, then do it because it secures you playing for an NBA team.

Their coaches will push it but I think it's good advice. You might not get paid while your in a lock out, but if you'rethe next big thing then you'll get sponsorships and be ok.
      very good points....

knowing are luck well get the #1 pick & there wont be anyone to draft, ever since the raptors got screwed out of the first overall pick back in 95 ive not had alot of faith in the lottery.. our draft history has been terrible too so its going to be a real crapshoot..

if there is a lockout id expect the only ones to declaire will be the scrubs who have over achieved or are 1 step away from a career ending injury...

Comment

you could have a serious injury and never get drafted, etc.
        Can the drafted rookies sign before the CBA expires? I'm not sure about that. What if they turn pro, then get hurt and never get to sign a contract? They can't even go back to school and play on scholarship at that point.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Can the drafted rookies sign before the CBA expires? I'm not sure about that. What if they turn pro, then get hurt and never get to sign a contract? They can't even go back to school and play on scholarship at that point.
          I believe that there are specific rules about the draft that requires a team to sign their first round picks. Getting drafted is basically a signing. THe first 5 get better contracts, the next 5 a little bit less and so on. I don't think the new CBA will change any of that. If they get drafted and hurt then they can be buds with Ed Davis.

Let me know if I am wrong but I believe that's how it works.

ps. the players demands are ridiculous. There needs to be some kind of cap, even if it's in the luxury tax. Teams like the lakers who pay 40 million in luxury tax is ridiculous. no wonder no one else can win

Comment

Breaking News

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...r-dukes-irving

Kyrie Irving out for the season--so the question is, will the raps get another Ed Davis special, or will Irving return for his sophmore year?

Comment

I believe that there are specific rules about the draft that requires a team to sign their first round picks. Getting drafted is basically a signing. THe first 5 get better contracts, the next 5 a little bit less and so on. I don't think the new CBA will change any of that. If they get drafted and hurt then they can be buds with Ed Davis.

Let me know if I am wrong but I believe that's how it works.

ps. the players demands are ridiculous. There needs to be some kind of cap, even if it's in the luxury tax. Teams like the lakers who pay 40 million in luxury tax is ridiculous. no wonder no one else can win
              Yeah but how does that play out when teams draft a guy and he plays in europe? They're not paying him to play there but they own his rights once he decides to play in the NBA.
              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

It might affect the decisions of some sub-lottery players, but for the top end guys, they'd be taking a huge risk in staying another year: firstly, if this draft ends up being thin, the next draft is going to be much more competitive, and lottery-bound players who stay out this year might find themselves on the outside of the lottery (and much further down the rookie contract scale) a year later. Add to this that one of the bargaining chips that is on the table is the draft eligibility age. The players association would like to get it back to the way it was where players can enter directly out of high-school. If that happens, then that next draft becomes even more competitive and these guys drop down a few more notches. Add then there's the uncertainty of not knowing whether rookie contracts will be the same post-lockout. I'm pretty sure they're not likely to be higher.

It also remains to be seen how a 2012 draft would be conducted following a lockout, if it wipes out the 2011-12 season. I believe the NHL went with a system where results over the last five years were combined (with the more recent years more heavily weighted) and then a 1-30 lottery was conducted based on those. If that's the case, the Raptors would likely be in line for another top 15 pick in that draft.

Comment

I have 1 question for clarification, then 1 comment:

Question: When does the current CBA end? I thought it ended immediately after the last game of the finals, meaning if there's a lockout, the draft would not even happen under the current CBA. Can somebody confirm the truth about the deadline for the current CBA.

Comment: Assuming the draft does go forward under the current CBA, I could actually see MORE young player declaring for the draft given the NBA's desire to increase the draft age from 19 to 20 or even 21. I read recently that the players' union is asking for the age to be lowered back to 18, but I'm guessing that's just a bargaining tactic to give them room to negotiate to maintain the current age level of 19. Regardless, I could see many more 19-20 year olds declaring than normal, given the uncertainty moving forward.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    I have 1 question for clarification, then 1 comment:

Question: When does the current CBA end? I thought it ended immediately after the last game of the finals, meaning if there's a lockout, the draft would not even happen under the current CBA. Can somebody confirm the truth about the deadline for the current CBA.
                    I answered my own question... found this on ESPN twitter feeds (read from bottom up, stupid ESPN)

@LarryCoon No, the draft goes on as scheduled. Remember, the draft is under the purview of the current CBA. @yj2323 24 minutes ago
                    @yj2323: any chance the nba delays the draft this year b/c of the impending lockout?

Comment

I believe that there are specific rules about the draft that requires a team to sign their first round picks. Getting drafted is basically a signing.
                      Example time. Ok, so the CBA runs out roughly around the end of June... Imagine for a moment if you will that this had happened this past summer. Xavier Henry took all summer to be signed to his rookie deal. If there was no CBA in place he would currently have no contract what so ever because after the CBA expires negotiations cannot take place.

THe first 5 get better contracts, the next 5 a little bit less and so on. I don't think the new CBA will change any of that. If they get drafted and hurt then they can be buds with Ed Davis.
                      What you're suggesting falls under CBA rules. What if there is no CBA?

Player demands are ridiculous. My bet is on the owners crushing them if they players don't wise up.

Comment

KJ-B wrote: View Post

Kyrie Irving out for the season--so the question is, will the raps get another Ed Davis special, or will Irving return for his sophmore year?
                        Depends what his stock is like and whether he wants to go back to school for another year. I'd imagine he would still go high. It's not a like a knee injury where it will linger

Comment

Yeah it's amazing how many players live cheque to cheque. I know that the union has been telling players to save their money.

I wonder if players can move to the D-league if there's a strike since Stern said it ain't goin anywhere next year.
                          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

KJ-B wrote: View Post

I think the key word is 'could'. They have 3 games between now and conference play on January 2. They are also still not sure what is going on from what I've read or if they do know, they are not sure treatment or possible recovery times.

Who would have thought a sprained toe could be so much trouble.

*EDIT* Latest on Kyrie:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5903650
                            Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Dec 9, 2010, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              I think the key word is 'could'. They have 3 games between now and conference play on January 2. They are also still not sure what is going on from what I've read or if they do know, they are not sure treatment or possible recovery times.

Who would have thought a sprained toe could be so much trouble.

*EDIT* Latest on Kyrie:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5903650
                              if u think about it... everytime u walk, run, shoot, dunk..your toe is bending alot and under alot of pressure when u push off of it.. ive had a mildly sprained toe & it wasnt any fun at all. your basicly rendered flat footed LOL
                              Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Thu Dec 9, 2010, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X