istanbul escort - bursa escort - escort bayan - Antalya Escort
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 78

Thread: Should the Raptors Take a Bite at Anthony Randolph?

  1. #41
    Administrator Arsenalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,235
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Was never impressed with him. I don't know why. I mean, I can see what people might be excited about but the league and every draft is full of "potential". It's kinda like, if it was going to happen, it would've happened.

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    I mean, I can see what people might be excited about but the league and every draft is full of "potential". It's kinda like, if it was going to happen, it would've happened.
    The kid is 21. You telling me that by 21 that's it, he's not going to develop more? Pretty sure the NBA has a long list of players that took multiple years of learning what it it takes to be a pro before they 'got it'. Josh Smith is probably the best comparison I could make there, a guy who had terrible shot selection, no concept of team play on the offensive end and who loafed through most games until suddenly, for no apparent reason, someone or something got through to him last year and he stopped jacking up 3s and started concentrating. Only took him 6 years.

    I can tell you right now why you're not impressed with Randolph: he plays like an ass. He looks for his own first, forces the issue, he shoots too many jumpers, he doesn't play within an offense, he gambles and he's hard-headed. Know why? He played for Don nelson for 2 years, and the only way he could earn any court time was when he played the helter-skelter non-system that is Nellie Ball, because Don Nelson is absolutely god awful at developing players. You need advanced offensive skills to play Nellie Ball, your defense is irrelevant since Nelson doesn't give two shits about it, and unless you can play like a one or a two, your ass will be nailed to the bench. Kinda tough for a raw 19-year old still growing into his body that only played one season of college ball.

    Randolph played a total of 1878 minutes in his first two years as a pro. DeRozan played 1664 in his first season alone and look at where his skill level is right now. What Randolph needs is a defined role, stability and good patient coaching along with a couple more summers of working on his jumper, footwork and learning to use his athleticism.

    I look at it this way: if you could put Randolph into this year's draft (a draft without a clear can't-miss prospect outside of possibly Irving), you'd have to think he'd go top-10 easily. Now consider the Raps' likely draft position, in the 8-13 range. Are you going to find someone better there? History says the odds are slim.

  3. #43
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nine New Faces wrote: View Post
    The kid is 21. You telling me that by 21 that's it, he's not going to develop more? Pretty sure the NBA has a long list of players that took multiple years of learning what it it takes to be a pro before they 'got it'.
    This is true but most of those guys probably didn't have multiple red flags from the get go. I can name you countless players who had potential and red flags and didn't amount to anything much at the NBA level.

    Quote Nine New Faces wrote: View Post
    Josh Smith is probably the best comparison I could make there, a guy who had terrible shot selection, no concept of team play on the offensive end and who loafed through most games until suddenly, for no apparent reason, someone or something got through to him last year and he stopped jacking up 3s and started concentrating. Only took him 6 years.
    Josh Smith, age 21:

    16.4 PPG, 2.9 BLK, 1.4 STL, 3.3 AST, 8.6 REB

    Quote Nine New Faces wrote: View Post
    I can tell you right now why you're not impressed with Randolph: he plays like an ass. He looks for his own first, forces the issue, he shoots too many jumpers, he doesn't play within an offense, he gambles and he's hard-headed. Know why? He played for Don nelson for 2 years, and the only way he could earn any court time was when he played the helter-skelter non-system that is Nellie Ball, because Don Nelson is absolutely god awful at developing players.
    I'm not buying that. D'Antoni awards guys who show up and work hard. Are you using the fact that Randolph can't cope with change as a defense?

    Quote Nine New Faces wrote: View Post
    You need advanced offensive skills to play Nellie Ball, your defense is irrelevant since Nelson doesn't give two shits about it, and unless you can play like a one or a two, your ass will be nailed to the bench. Kinda tough for a raw 19-year old still growing into his body that only played one season of college ball.
    Andris Biedrins seems counter to what you're explaining. So too does Ronny Turiaf, who had no trouble getting minutes with the Warriors and now is having no trouble getting minutes with the Knicks.

    Quote Nine New Faces wrote: View Post
    Randolph played a total of 1878 minutes in his first two years as a pro. DeRozan played 1664 in his first season alone and look at where his skill level is right now. What Randolph needs is a defined role, stability and good patient coaching along with a couple more summers of working on his jumper, footwork and learning to use his athleticism.
    He's not going to get that in Toronto with $10M/yr locked up in Andrea Bargnani, $6M/yr locked up in Amir Johnson and a lotto pick spent on Ed Davis... A guy who I think happens to have more potential than Randolph and brings abilities to the table that are in need. In other words Davis doesn't have the Raptors' typical redundant skill set. Neither does DeRozan by the way seeing how we're talking about him here too.

    Quote Nine New Faces wrote: View Post
    I look at it this way: if you could put Randolph into this year's draft (a draft without a clear can't-miss prospect outside of possibly Irving), you'd have to think he'd go top-10 easily. Now consider the Raps' likely draft position, in the 8-13 range. Are you going to find someone better there? History says the odds are slim.
    They just drafted Ed Davis in the range and I'd take him over Randolph without blinking.
    Last edited by Apollo; Mon Dec 13th, 2010 at 07:44 AM.

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    This is true but most of those guys probably didn't have multiple red flags from the get go. I can name you countless players who had potential and red flags and didn't amount to anything much at the NBA level.
    Come on, every player has 'red flags'. Every time I watch DeRozan play I see plenty of them, same with Sonny, Bargs, Amir, Ed Davis, etc etc. Every players has deficiencies, the mark of a good organization is bringing in players that will fit into their system and playing to their strengths (ie San Antonio) while minimizing their