Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Weems is Playing Himself Off This Team

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Good post. I think people need to get real and ask themselves the tough question. Do they want to see this team win now at the level of mediocrity or do they want to suck it up, sit through some frustrating times and see this team come out of it with some developed young players who have a chance to achieve far more than the dead end players that people want playing in favor of them.

I mean seriously. So they bench Bayless, what happens next? Does the team suddenly morph from a piece of crap into a contender? If not then what's the point? Colangelo himself described this season as a "rebuild" without using the actual term so if anything I expect Bayless to play more and so he should. This season isn't about squeezing the maximum amount of wins out, it's about squeezing the maximum amount of progression out of the young players.

A lot of recent Raptors fans complaints sound like those of fans of a struggling contender and not those of a lotto team who's primary goal is anything but winning right now.
    So you're saying we shouldn't even try to win? It wouldn't be fair to the fans or other players on this team if they went by that logic.

Bayless can learn from the bench, he's getting more min here then he has on any other team in the NBA. He is most likely not even going to be the PG on the future, he just doesn't have the skills to be a starting PG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    So you're saying we shouldn't even try to win? It wouldn't be fair to the fans or other players on this team if they went by that logic.
    I am saying winning should not be prioritized ahead of developing the young guys. Extra loses now may be made up ten times over if they can get the kids going sooner than later.

Bayless can learn from the bench, he's getting more min here then he has on any other team in the NBA. He is most likely not even going to be the PG on the future, he just doesn't have the skills to be a starting PG.
    Bayless has been learning from the bench for years now. He needs minutes whether it be a starter or a rotational guy. Watching only goes so far. Watching is also far more beneficial when the player is watching good players play. I'm not sure how much he's going to learn from watching Sonny Weems chuck it all night... Or Jose Calderon do his best matador impersonation on defense.
    Last edited by Apollo; Wed Dec 15th, 2010 at 02:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Raptorfan4life
    So what you are telling me is that we keep playing Calderon and bring Bayless off the bench. I disagree with you. I know right now Calderon is a better player then Bayless I'll give you that but what are you going to do when they trade Calderon and Bayless has not enough experience running the team with more min. This is now a rebuilding mode and Calderon really is not in their plans but Bayless is. Bayless needs the min.first of all to get rid of all of the tendencies that you listed. He is a young ball player with a great upswing not an old Calderon who is not really in the Raptor plans. Think about the overall picture before you criticize me and the way the Raptors are moving!

1) He's selfish.
    2) Forces plays.
    3) He turns the ball over.
    4) Low court vision.
    5) He doesn't know the system.

Calderon has been playing off the chart (at least offensively) there is no way in hell you could bench him. We win far more games with Calderon starting then with Bayless starting.[/QUOTE]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said Doc, I was furious watching Weems kill our momentum last night. His crunch time turnovers are even worse than his poor shot selection. This dude is nice off the bench, and that's it.

To all you "develop the young guys" posters- just cuz the dude is young , DOES NOT mean he will develop into something great.

I agree with that other dude though, Weems might look better starting in DD's position, but we all know that will never happen unless DD is injured.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It is my opinion that it is always best to try and win a sporting event, event by event.

I don't care what the odds are people should never enter into any competition unless they desire or expect to win regardless of the odds.

People who play for reasons other than winning each game that they compete in are losers not only in the game but more importantly in life, period, straight up.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    It is my opinion that it is always best to try and win a sporting event, event by event.

I don't care what the odds are people should never enter into any competition unless they desire or expect to win regardless of the odds.

People who play for reasons other than winning each game that they compete in are losers not only in the game but more importantly in life, period, straight up.
    Well said

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If JR Smith can focus on reaching potential on the bench, maybe Sonny can as well?

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with those who say playing Weems alongside DD is verging on duplication. It is weird to see Weems getting so much floor time over Kleiza at SF. By having both Weems and DD on the floor, Toronto has no 3-pt-shot intimidation at all from the two sharpshooter positions. That's weird. Why not give Kleiza the starting role to see what he can do? He's not much older than Weems, but he's a lot more mature mentally and probably just plain smarter. He has shown great leadership and clutch play in international competition.

Barbosa, Weems, Wright and occassionally Peja could then back up both Kleiza and DeRozan. PG is simple: Bayless backs up Calderon, unless coach wants to play them tandem against some lineups with Barbosa and Weems playing backup. A glance at the roster would indicate Toronto has some impressive depth at the shooting positions, but instead of capitalizing on this, Toronto manages to make these spots their weak areas even as the team makes up for lack of talent at the 4 and 5 spots. That's weird too. The problem has obviously got to do with the Weems/DeRozan duplication.

I'd also say keep the Calderon/Bayless combo intact for a few years if possible. Having both of them will make all opponents take notice of the Raps. The obvious trade bait is Barbosa, unless someone offers something good for Weems, but I doubt that will happen. Barbosa is a great swingman, but he's great bait too and not really needed here if the others mature a bit and play better under pressure. Peja is also a good choice to trade, but that's obvious without my saying so. Why people suggest dealing Calderon I'll never know. The Raps have been lucky to have him. He's suitable in every way, especially if playing with a quick Center who gets back on D.

That's what I'd do if I were the coach. If Kleiza didn't improve before the break, then maybe give Weems a chance or make a deal to get a true shooter at the 3 spot. Or just put Peja there for the rest of the year and let the new guys handle power forward without his help.

Raptors Republic Rookie Garbajosa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm putting the blame on the wrong person but I really think that Weems' play has a lot to do with Jay Triano's coaching. Weems has played his way into the current lineup in large part because of his offensive surges at certain points last season and this season. Someone needs to tell him that there are different ways he can affect a basketball game, and that if he can't do those other things first, someone else needs to be given a chance to prove themselves. This is Triano's job as the coach. He needs to help is young players develop by laying some tough discipline on them. Triano doesn't yank Weems from the game after a forced shot which is really just giving Weems a green light to keep doing what he is doing.

Maybe someone should send him a message on twitter...

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Weems would be well served by a good two or three game benching. It's time he realized how close he is to being without a contract next year. He can't take his situation as a rotation guy for granted even if his agent is talking like an extention is a done deal.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Garbajosa wrote: View Post
    Maybe I'm putting the blame on the wrong person but I really think that Weems' play has a lot to do with Jay Triano's coaching. Weems has played his way into the current lineup in large part because of his offensive surges at certain points last season and this season. Someone needs to tell him that there are different ways he can affect a basketball game, and that if he can't do those other things first, someone else needs to be given a chance to prove themselves. This is Triano's job as the coach. He needs to help is young players develop by laying some tough discipline on them. Triano doesn't yank Weems from the game after a forced shot which is really just giving Weems a green light to keep doing what he is doing.

Maybe someone should send him a message on twitter...
    Here's the message: please iron your Erie Bayhawks jersey

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

the problem with weems is... last year he was put in to the rotation cause he hustled on D & had a great mid range game... sometime over the summer he got the VC bug....stopped playing D.... started practicing more on the 3pt shot..only he cant make it in games much at all... now hes taken away from the mid range game in the attempt to further his range & failed horribly... & he still isnt playing the same D he did last year..

the raps prob. is weems when all is going well still isnt what this team needs(hence why hes trying to shoot 3s) with DD showing more signs of becoming somthing worth while the raps have no need for weems...there the same type of player only DD has more potential..maybe not much more but, more none the less
    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Fri Dec 17th, 2010 at 02:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Weems benched tonight against Nets. Kleiza back as the starter.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Weems benched tonight against Nets. Kleiza back as the starter.
    Are you sure about that?! I haven't even seen him on the bench or heard anything from the commentaters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Are you sure about that?! I haven't even seen him on the bench or heard anything from the commentaters.
    I was wrong he didn't get benched. He is hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

Weems said he had a sore back. This was fortunate. Everyone got to see what Kleiza is capable of if given the starting job. I hope Triano leaves him in there for a while. He played 45 minutes and did not weaken. He hit several clutch baskets to change the game's momentum. You saw he can hit the three when it matters, unlike Weems who is almost guaranteed to miss if it's important. Kleiza was a starter in Denver, so why would anyone doubt that he should start in TO. Weems would not likely be a starter on any other team in the league.

Weems will make a very nice back-up, but he's still a punk. As someone just mentioned, he hustled his way into the starting lineup, but once he established himself there he became like some overconfident hot dog. Dude, this is the NBA. People will make you eat your attitude if you don't have the skills, brains or talent to back it up.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was wrong he didn't get benched. He is hurt.
    I wish he was benched.

Thread Information